Find results in...

Game Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My buddy was at a dinner event last night that Shaka and Charlie attended. Charlie told a couple of stories, but I liked hearing this one the most. A couple weeks ago, Charlie received a call from Sha

I have to say, I'm pretty stoked about the OL talent we have now assembled. We are where we've wanted to be for years now, but were never able to even get halfway there. The talent is not "shovel-read

Notes From Taylor Estes during Coach Strong press conference:

The home opener is a crucial game for Texas. Strong said the whole attitude of the team is totally different.

"This team now understands the sense of urgency. I used to have to carry the voice, but I don't have to now because the older guys are doing it. It's a different feeling then it has been in the past two years."

As Fall Camp begins today, OL coach Madd Mattox is moving senior Kent Perkins to where he naturally belongs – guard.

Considered by some to be the team's strongest player, Big Perk has been forced to man a tackle post due to a suckage of talent the last two years at the position.

Taking his place on the right side to start Fall Camp will be undefeated heavyweight Battle For The Belts champion, Tristan Nickelson. The 6'9" JUCO transfer played the RT position some last season while Perk was injured and left a Six Flags Texas Giant impression – quite a few ups and downs. His work in April's Spring Game didn't garner much praise, leading to speculation that Perk would once again be out on the edge.

Spending his high school career as a tight end, Connor Williams moved to tackle for his senior season. One year later, the three star prospect arrived at Texas, remarkably won the starting left tackle job, and amazingly earned All-American honors. Joining him in the A-A honors camp was freshman guard Patrick "Haka" Vahe who road graded dirtbags on team's right side.

With Perk moving to left guard, early enrollee Zach Shackelford and the Horns' backfield should feel a bit perkier. That is, unless Nickelson proves to be merely a belt hanger.

Per Taylor Estes regarding Longhorns first practice:

A few notes from Longhorns first practice of fall camp. (I'm writing these on my phone so I apologize in advance if there are typos/format errors)

• The team physically looks like a different team than in years past. The offensive and defensive lines are much larger.
  • Chris Warren did not participate much in practice but he wasn't in the pit. He has a tweaked hamstring, but it doesn't seem like anything serious.
  • Devin Duvernay looked good during the first practice. He had a few nice catches and worked on punt returns.
  • Other punt returners in the mix were Jacorey Warrick, Reggie Hemphill, Armanti Foreman and Holton Hill.
  • Speaking of punt return, punter Michael Dickson looked really good in his first practice.
  • Tyrone Swoopes and Shane Buechele ran majority of first and second team reps. Jerrod Heard was with the third team and Matthew Merrick behind Heard.
  • One interesting note, Heard was practicing with gloves today. I hadn't notice him using gloves in the past ... Maybe he's getting ready to use them at a different position? (Just kidding ... Kind of.)
  • Swoopes and Buechele looked decent today, Buechele was probably the better QB of today, but it was close.
  • Anthony Wheeler and Kris Boyd picked off Swoopes in 7-on-7. The interceptions were on back-to-back plays.
  • Reggie Hemphill ran a really good route and catch on a great pass by Swoopes.
  • Kirk Johnson got a lot of work today. He was used a lot as a misdirection type of guy and had a few catches.
  • Andrew Fitzgerald blocked one of Swoopes' passes and Quincy Vasser caught the deflected ball.
  • Lil'Jordan Humphrey is a big kid. Some people wondered if he would play tight end, but he has more of a wide receiver frame than I expected to see.
  • Holton Hill kept requesting Collin Johnson to go up against in one-on-one WR/DB drills. (Johnson is still a massive human being and had a decent practice.)

Estes, T. (2016). http://www.scout.com/college/texas/forums/2441-horns-house/14870368-notes-from-saturday-s-practice

https://twitter.com/Longhorn_FB/status/761996082331037696