Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Body found in Waller Creek on campus

• Administrators

Here's President Fenves' statement:

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/05/statement-on-body-found-on-campus

I have zero sympathy for this guy. He murdered (allegedly) an innocent 19 yr old girl. I hope he fries. There are many people that are dealt bad hands that DO NOT take the life of a fellow human being. Sorry for being direct, but with a daughter who is roughly the same age, this hits home. If this guy did this, then it's time for him to pay the piper.

I have zero sympathy for this guy. He murdered (allegedly) an innocent 19 yr old girl. I hope he fries. There are many people that are dealt bad hands that DO NOT take the life of a fellow human being. Sorry for being direct, but with a daughter who is roughly the same age, this hits home. If this guy did this, then it's time for him to pay the piper.

I did not post to show sympathy for him. I posted because the tweet and thought people may just want to know who he is. 

"Our beloved daughter, sister and friend was taken from us too soon. We will forever miss her. The pain of our sudden and tragic loss is unfathomable. We are grateful of the support, the kindness and prayers offered to us. Words cannot express the outpouring of love we have received.

Haruka was a passionate and dedicated dancer and student. She was so happy to be a student at UT. She was looking forward to the chance to perform again as a dance major and she was declaring as a pre-med studies major, too.

She had plans to explore the world of medicine this summer, and travel to visit family in Japan.

Although Haruka loved to perform on stage, she never sought the spotlight in her daily life.

Perhaps the last thing she would want is to be the poster child for any cause, and yet as we struggle to understand why she was killed, if her death can somehow make it safer for a young woman to walk home it will all prevent another assault or murder.

Then, at least, we can find some meaning in an otherwise senseless and tragic death.

To her friends — many of the students at UT and her high school, and in all dance programs in which she participated — we are united in prayer for Haruka and for each other. No parent or brother or sister or friend should have to face this kind of sadness, this kind of loss. Yet many do.

Now we have joined that family.

At UT, Haruka did make many friends and received so much support from this family. We know Haruka would not wish for us to be stuck in sadness, but to keep living life to the fullest. That is what we will try to do in the coming days.

We offer our prayers and encouragements for you to do the same.

Thank you for respecting our privacy at this time."

Haruka-Weiser.png

My daughter is currently a freshman, living on campus and about 3 nights per week had been running from her dorm in Duren to the rec center in the evenings about the same time of evening this happened.  Taking part of that route sometimes.  Needless to say she knows this could easily have been her...or any young lady on campus.  It has shaken up many of the young women on campus as far as their overall safety awareness, and should impact some of their choices going forward.  If there is a silver lining, it has brought this freshman class together as much as possible with such a large school. 

As a father of another freshman girl I want to rip this guy's throat out with my hands.  May God grant peace to the Weiser family.  It is just unthinkable to have to endure.

Going to leave this here:

Running Running Running

APRIL 12, 2016 MARIAHCHANTALLEAVE A COMMENT

I don’t have regrets. None at all.

Yes, there are decisions I made or words I spoke or emotions I harbored that, when ruminated upon, eat at me a bit. Past choices that might elicit a cringe…an “oops, that wasn’t optimal” or even a “wow, that was downright awful.” But I don’t have regrets. Because every single moment through which I’ve lived has brought me to Mariah circa 2016. Shared smiles, deep-bellied and unsolicited laughs, meaningful conversations, sky-scraping successes. Dark nights, colorless depressions, perceived failures, searing heartbreaks. All of it.

These experiences have coalesced and collapsed into my being, free-falling into and around me and ultimately creating ‘Mariah.’ And I love Mariah, in spite of and because of her past. And I love Mariah because she has a future, a destiny to greet. She has so many more decisions to make and words to speak and emotions to harbor and the years before her tumble on and on and on.

I think it is for this reason, this brilliantly gleaming ‘tomorrow’ of mine, that I’ve had such a hard time with UT student Haruka Weiser’s passing. As many of you may know, Haruka was senselessly murdered on campus Sunday April 3rd. Her brilliantly gleaming ‘tomorrow’ was erased; her dreams, plans, and trepidations alike voided. Despite having never met Haruka, sadness has recently draped heavy and solemn across my psyche. Sadness for her stolen existence, her family, friends, and for all other lives taken too soon. I just can’t stop brooding.

What fear must she have felt? Did she know, precisely, what was happening? For how long did she lay in Waller Creek, bleeding and broken, before Death’s hushed fingers finally peeled soul from body? Why? Why?

That poor, poor girl.

I’m sure the UT community will feel this tragedy’s aftershocks for quite some time; such unwarranted and heinous violence is not easily forgotten. Or forgiven. But we must continue our own every day existences…because there in no other way to proceed. Loss has a constricting quality to it, a feel of tight claustrophobic insurmountability.

And this is why we must hug our loved ones, squeeze them because we can’t imagine a world in which they don’t exist. This is why we must be active participants within our lives. This is why we must connect to others; weave around ourselves a vivid, caring, and compassionate community. This is why we must keep running running running into the unknown. Not because we want to escape the fear or the darkness or the incomprehensible. But because running keeps us free, progressing, and purposeful.

Let’s run for Haruka.

RIP.

RIP Haruka Weiser

https://mariahchantal.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/running-running-running/

Going to leave this here:

Running Running Running

APRIL 12, 2016 MARIAHCHANTALLEAVE A COMMENT

I don’t have regrets. None at all.

Yes, there are decisions I made or words I spoke or emotions I harbored that, when ruminated upon, eat at me a bit. Past choices that might elicit a cringe…an “oops, that wasn’t optimal†or even a “wow, that was downright awful.†But I don’t have regrets. Because every single moment through which I’ve lived has brought me to Mariah circa 2016. Shared smiles, deep-bellied and unsolicited laughs, meaningful conversations, sky-scraping successes. Dark nights, colorless depressions, perceived failures, searing heartbreaks. All of it.

These experiences have coalesced and collapsed into my being, free-falling into and around me and ultimately creating ‘Mariah.’ And I love Mariah, in spite of and because of her past. And I love Mariah because she has a future, a destiny to greet. She has so many more decisions to make and words to speak and emotions to harbor and the years before her tumble on and on and on.

I think it is for this reason, this brilliantly gleaming ‘tomorrow’ of mine, that I’ve had such a hard time with UT student Haruka Weiser’s passing. As many of you may know, Haruka was senselessly murdered on campus Sunday April 3rd. Her brilliantly gleaming ‘tomorrow’ was erased; her dreams, plans, and trepidations alike voided. Despite having never met Haruka, sadness has recently draped heavy and solemn across my psyche. Sadness for her stolen existence, her family, friends, and for all other lives taken too soon. I just can’t stop brooding.

What fear must she have felt? Did she know, precisely, what was happening? For how long did she lay in Waller Creek, bleeding and broken, before Death’s hushed fingers finally peeled soul from body? Why? Why?

That poor, poor girl.

I’m sure the UT community will feel this tragedy’s aftershocks for quite some time; such unwarranted and heinous violence is not easily forgotten. Or forgiven. But we must continue our own every day existences…because there in no other way to proceed. Loss has a constricting quality to it, a feel of tight claustrophobic insurmountability.

And this is why we must hug our loved ones, squeeze them because we can’t imagine a world in which they don’t exist. This is why we must be active participants within our lives. This is why we must connect to others; weave around ourselves a vivid, caring, and compassionate community. This is why we must keep running running running into the unknown. Not because we want to escape the fear or the darkness or the incomprehensible. But because running keeps us free, progressing, and purposeful.

Let’s run for Haruka.

RIP.

RIP Haruka Weiser

https://mariahchantal.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/running-running-running/

:( Damn onions