Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recruiting and practice notes from today

Mike Roach

If you can't see the difference in recruiting and development,or Charlie's ability to coach and base all your opinions on wins/loses,then no one can help you.There's a reason everytime Charlie talks to a recruit,he gets three offers. Shawn Watson was only the choice after Patterson said the richest school in the country can't afford your top 2 so go shop in the bargain bin. Stop blaming Charlie for the offensive hires.

LMAO

We all know the situation he walked into. Now I say to you. Why did he keep that asshat Watson as OC through an entire off season after getting blown out in 3 of the last 4 games in his first year.

Watson was a pro style QB coach and was trusted to install a hurry up spread type of offense? An entire off season and spring ball thrown into the wind. All it produced was a faster 3 and out.

So even if we all buy into its the BMD's, Patter$ons, Macks and whatever else you can come up with the reason we were blown out by Iowa F'ng State that one decision is all on Charlie buddy.

I have high hopes this year. I feel confident this team will turn the corner IF we have decent QB play. So we will see. Im pulling for Strong, his kids love him and he recruits well. Now if he can stop getting blown out then we will be in good shape.

Were you there,was he given a new budget and better options? I don't know,please enlighten me. Culture change takes time in any company or sports team,you admitted yourself you expect better this season,so you see it happening too. I respect that you've been putting your opinions on this sight far longer than I have,I'll hang up and listen again.

We all know the situation he walked into.  Now I say to you.  Why did he keep that asshat Watson as OC through an entire off season after getting blown out in 3 of the last 4 games in his first year.  

Watson was a pro style QB coach and was trusted to install a hurry up spread type of offense?  An entire off season and spring ball thrown into the wind.  All it produced was a faster 3 and out.

So even if we all buy into its the BMD's, Patter$ons, Macks and whatever else you can come up with the reason we were blown out by Iowa F'ng State that one decision is all on Charlie buddy.  

I have high hopes this year.  I feel confident this team will turn the corner IF we have decent QB play.  So we will see.  Im pulling for Strong, his kids love him and he recruits well.  Now if he can stop getting blown out then we will be in good shape.

Most of us want Strong to succeed and we all know the mess he was left but it is amazing how with some Strong has done nothing wrong since he was hired here. 

Most of us want Strong to succeed and we all know the mess he was left but it is amazing how with some Strong has done nothing wrong since he was hired here.

He's not perfect,none of us are, he's a good football coach and is on the path to success.

For the best interest of the program,I hope his fate is determined by people that know the game and look at the entire body of work and not just blindly at a win loss record of another coaches players.

Strong has made his share of mistakes, but to blame him entirely for the crappy record the last 2 years is just wrong. It is not only wrong, it is naive and dangerous. Dangerous?....Yes, dangerous to the Texas program.

Not only was there less talent at the 40 when Strong got here, but some of what little there was was rotten and had to be cut out. yes,yes,yes, Watson was a bad hire, but much,much worse than that was the toxic arrangement that Patterson caused that made Strong claim Wickline as co OC when it could never work, he refused to back Wick up which made the co OC a very bad attitude person in the room.Because of the lawsuit there was Wickline, and what to do with him???? Fire Watson and really,really have Wickline as the OC?....Christ!...it was a shitshow inside a dumpster fire! I am amazed we did as well as we did. 

Were you there,was he given a new budget and better options? I don't know,please enlighten me. Culture change takes time in any company or sports team,you admitted yourself you expect better this season,so you see it happening too. I respect that you've been putting your opinions on this sight far longer than I have,I'll hang up and listen again.

I wasn't there but Strong was.  Did Mack Brown stand between Strong and the practice field, obscuring his view of the new improved Watson offense?   I doubt it.  I realize things were bad when Strong took over, but I never expected us to get blown out so often when he was first hired.  Especially not by the likes of cellar dweller Iowa State.  

For awhile I was a boo bird hoping for a Herman intervention.  I am off the Herman train after listening him on a radio basically be jerk off.  

All that being said, I think he will come through this year.  I have high hopes and like Strong just like you.  The only difference is I think Strong has made some mistakes that were of his doing that cant be dismissed on the various scapegoats.  He is the Head Coach and makes 5 million a year, so yea he has to be held somewhat accountable for bad decisions.

Its pretty obvious, this is the same old argument that lamented this forum for over a year now.  To you he can do wrong and has not done anything wrong.  You are basing your argument on the good things (charm,recruiting,core values,etc) and dismiss the bad (losing record after 2 years, consistent blowouts, staff hires, talent, etc) to everyone else not named Charlie Strong.  This argument is old.  The answer lies somewhere in the middle.  

You think I want to lynch the guy for losing some competitive games?  Wrong.  I want the team to be competitive, and they were not.  Period.  I expected more so yea I have been disappointed with his 2 year tenure thus far.  Each to his own.  If he has another losing record with multiple blowouts then im all for a coaching change.  Its sad when recruiting season is more satisfying than the actual game play.  Just sayin.

Its pretty obvious, this is the same old argument that lamented this forum for over a year now. To you he can do wrong and has not done anything wrong. You are basing your argument on the good things (charm,recruiting,core values,etc) and dismiss the bad (losing record after 2 years, consistent blowouts, staff hires, talent, etc) to everyone else not named Charlie Strong. This argument is old. The answer lies somewhere in the middle.

You think I want to lynch the guy for losing some competitive games? Wrong. I want the team to be competitive, and they were not. Period. I expected more so yea I have been disappointed with his 2 year tenure thus far. Each to his own. If he has another losing record with multiple blowouts then im all for a coaching change. Its sad when recruiting season is more satisfying than the actual game play. Just sayin.

Setting yourself up real nice,if he wins,you were behind him all along,if he loses you had the noose at hand the whole time.

Why even bring up holding him accountable in spring if you are behind him at all? Just sayin

Setting yourself up real nice,if he wins,you were behind him all along,if he loses you had the noose at hand the whole time.

Why even bring up holding him accountable in spring if you are behind him at all? Just sayin

You are a hoot, seriously.  

Let me help you out since you seem to be confused.  I am behind my alma mater, the best school in the nation, and my team.  I didnt graduate from Strong University.  I do not have any loyalty to Strong or any coach.  Before Strong was hired who was he to me?  Nobody.  He is not a hometown hero or even an alum.  That being said, I truly do love the guy.  It breaks my heart to watch him in post game loss press conferences with the obvious anxiety and dismay. I hope he succeeds because if he does that means my horns are winning.

People like you are all over this board.  SunShine Pumpers.  Every single thing that has gone wrong with Strong is not his fault.  Its always somebody else's.  Its funny actually.  Lets point some facts.  

• Charlie, a defensive coach, hired his offensive staff and mixed a Pro Style OC with a spread OL coach as co OC in a spread high flying conference.
  • Your Answer:  Its Patterson's fault.  He didnt pay the millions that Morris wanted for his buyout.

I tend to agree since he wanted Chad Morris.  But Watson was the best choice other than Morris, yea right.

• Charlie doesnt have any talent to work with.
  • Your Answer:  Its Mack's fault.  He drained this team of talent and left it in shambles.  

This one is obviously true.  What I find amazing though.  Some of Strong's most successful players were Mack's recruits.  Malcolm Brown and Hicks.  Hell even Foreman and Vahe committed to the good guys when Mack brown was here.  I am not defending Mack by any means but if a player is good it is because of Strong and when a player sucks its always Mack's fault.  Besides I guess you are telling me Iowa State has more talent than Texas right?  Why else would they get blown out?  Maybe just maybe the coaches didnt prepare the team.  Shocker I know.  But Mack's fault sounds so much better.  Idiotic logic.

• Charlie kept Watson to install a hurry up spread based offense even though Watson is a Pro Style QB coach.
  • Your Answer:  Its not Charlies fault.  The AD and office didnt show Strong enough support.  Or Watson lied to Strong.  

Make all excuses you want but this decision Strong made was his biggest IMO.  It wasted an entire off season on that scrub of a OC.  

In the end,

Strong has been blown out 8 times in 25 games by a combined score 283-41.  

Strong is 0-12 when the other team scores first. No joke.

Offense ranked at the bottom (or near) in the NCAA.

So many to list but I have work to do today...so screw it

Most of us thought it would take Strong 3 years to get us back so this is his year.  Ironically remember how pissed everyone was when Mack got embarrassed by BYU in Utah?  Funny how some of you pumpers have become immune to blow outs.

BYU 41-7
Baylor 28-7
K State 23-0
TCU 48-10
Pigs 31-7

ND 38-3
TCU 50-7
Iowa State 24-0

Strong has been here for 2 seasons and 3 recruiting classes, well 2.5 considering his first class were mostly Mack recruits.  Its time to put up or get out.  Notice the record below when leading at halftime and then notice Mack's gesture.  Pricelesss:

mack-brown-middle-finger1.jpeg?w=1000&h=

You are a hoot, seriously.  

Let me help you out since you seem to be confused.  I am behind my alma mater, the best school in the nation, and my team.  I didnt graduate from Strong University.  I do not have any loyalty to Strong or any coach.  Before Strong was hired who was he to me?  Nobody.  He is not a hometown hero or even an alum.  That being said, I truly do love the guy.  It breaks my heart to watch him in post game loss press conferences with the obvious anxiety and dismay. I hope he succeeds because if he does that means my horns are winning.

People like you are all over this board.  SunShine Pumpers.  Every single thing that has gone wrong with Strong is not his fault.  Its always somebody else's.  Its funny actually.  Lets point some facts.  

• Charlie, a defensive coach, hired his offensive staff and mixed a Pro Style OC with a spread OL coach as co OC in a spread high flying conference.
  • Your Answer:  Its Patterson's fault.  He didnt pay the millions that Morris wanted for his buyout.

I tend to agree since he wanted Chad Morris.  But Watson was the best choice other than Morris, yea right.

• Charlie doesnt have any talent to work with.
  • Your Answer:  Its Mack's fault.  He drained this team of talent and left it in shambles.  

This one is obviously true.  What I find amazing though.  Some of Strong's most successful players were Mack's recruits.  Malcolm Brown and Hicks.  Hell even Foreman and Vahe committed to the good guys when Mack brown was here.  I am not defending Mack by any means but if a player is good it is because of Strong and when a player sucks its always Mack's fault.  Besides I guess you are telling me Iowa State has more talent than Texas right?  Why else would they get blown out?  Maybe just maybe the coaches didnt prepare the team.  Shocker I know.  But Mack's fault sounds so much better.  Idiotic logic.

• Charlie kept Watson to install a hurry up spread based offense even though Watson is a Pro Style QB coach.
  • Your Answer:  Its not Charlies fault.  The AD and office didnt show Strong enough support.  Or Watson lied to Strong.  

Make all excuses you want but this decision Strong made was his biggest IMO.  It wasted an entire off season on that scrub of a OC.  

In the end,

Strong has been blown out 8 times in 25 games by a combined score 283-41.  

Strong is 0-12 when the other team scores first. No joke.

Offense ranked at the bottom (or near) in the NCAA.

So many to list but I have work to do today...so screw it

Most of us thought it would take Strong 3 years to get us back so this is his year.  Ironically remember how pissed everyone was when Mack got embarrassed by BYU in Utah?  Funny how some of you pumpers have become immune to blow outs.

BYU 41-7
Baylor 28-7
K State 23-0
TCU 48-10
Pigs 31-7

ND 38-3
TCU 50-7
Iowa State 24-0

Strong has been here for 2 seasons and 3 recruiting classes, well 2.5 considering his first class were mostly Mack recruits.  Its time to put up or get out.  Notice the record below when leading at halftime and then notice Mack's gesture.  Pricelesss:

mack-brown-middle-finger1.jpeg?w=1000&h=

I agree 100% with this. I am amazed on how emotionally attached many are to Strong. I love UT and will forever be more loyal to my university over any coach. Like you I want Strong to win here but I am not going to put Strong and his interest over my university. 

What's your plan after firing Strong,how are you improving your "Alma mater"?

Another 3 years to implement the new coaches system,our does the new coach get longer because you approve of this hire?

Or is there now a constant string of 1 and done coaches.

Strong has made mistakes will probably make more,but we are close to returning to the top with him than without. Mike Perrin has the best interest of the university at heart,had proven it time and again,yet there are those whose hate is so blind they at willing to run this good man out of office to get rid of Strong.

If Perri had a plan to move forward without Strong then so be it,if not let this good alum do his job.

What's your plan after firing Strong,how are you improving your "Alma mater"?

Another 3 years to implement the new coaches system,our does the new coach get longer because you approve of this hire?

Or is there now a constant string of 1 and done coaches.

Strong has made mistakes will probably make more,but we are close to returning to the top with him than without. Mike Perrin has the best interest of the university at heart,had proven it time and again,yet there are those whose hate is so blind they at willing to run this good man out of office to get rid of Strong.

If Perri had a plan to move forward without Strong then so be it,if not let this good alum do his job.

And what if we go 5-7 again?  You say another year right?  Then 6-6,  Another?  LOL

Strong has made mistakes will probably make more,but we are close to returning to the top with him than without.

Its pretty simple your hopes are based on perception.  That's fine.  I like to ride that train too from time to time.  Its fun to imagine what his team could be like in a few years, especially with recruits he is bringing in.  

I am merely pointing to facts and actual game play on the field, whereas you are pointing to hopes and perception. Surely you cant be pointing to an unwavering improvement on the field.  If you are by all means enlighten us.

I get it you love Strong.  Hes a good guy, no doubt.  He also has not proven shit as our HC as of right now.

And what if we go 5-7 again? You say another year right? Then 6-6, Another? LOL

Strong has made mistakes will probably make more,but we are close to returning to the top with him than without.

Its pretty simple your hopes are based on perception. That's fine. I like to ride that train too from time to time. Its fun to imagine what his team could be like in a few years, especially with recruits he is bringing in.

I am merely pointing to facts and actual game play on the field, whereas you are pointing to hopes and perception. Surely you cant be pointing to an unwavering improvement on the field. If you are by all means enlighten us.

I get it you love Strong. Hes a good guy, no doubt. He also has not proven shit as our HC as of right now.

Your the new football expert of Texas,that's the problem with this fan base a bunch of Jerry Joneses meddling more into business that is not theirs than their own business.

All I propose is to let the alum hired as AD to do his job. Do you have a problem with that?

Your the new football expert of Texas,that's the problem with this fan base a bunch of Jerry Jone's meddling more into business that is not theirs than their own business.

All I propose is to let the alum hired as AD to do his job. Do you have a problem with that?

If Strong goes 5-7 again the alum AD will let Strong go. 

Your the new football expert of Texas,that's the problem with this fan base a bunch of Jerry Joneses meddling more into business that is not theirs than their own business.

I tend to disagree that a fan sharing his opinions and thoughts on a fan message board qualifies as "meddling more into business that is not theirs". It's not like we're starting petitions or protesting outside the ADs office calling for Strong's head dude. Nothing that we do or say on this board hinders the alum hired as AD from doing his job. Lighten up.

I tend to disagree that a fan sharing his opinions and thoughts on a fan message board qualifies as "meddling more into business that is not theirs". It's not like we're starting petitions or protesting outside the ADs office calling for Strong's head dude. Nothing that we do or say on this board hinders the alum hired as AD from doing his job. Lighten up.

This 

tumblr_inline_no740feXNU1rx0kzp_500.gif

vahe was a Mack recruit?...I thought he was a true freshman last year, not a redshirt. did I miss something?

As I remember he was a very early commit who never wavered.  He committed while Mack was still here.  He did not red shirt.- true freshman last year.