Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recruiting and practice notes from today

Mike Roach

It was a big day for recruiting news, and it couldn't have come at a worse time.  With nearly the entire staff en route to Houston for the Opening Regional.  We've caught up with some of the prospects on campus today and have some notes for you.

Lake Dallas (TX) DB Kobe Boyce was offered today.  I was asked about a month ago who the next commit would be, and at the time I said I expected Boyce to get an offer soon and that I thought he would commit shortly thereafter.  The offer came in the timeframe I was expecting, and although Boyce is playing things close to the vest I feel confident in saying he will be the next commit.  Just a little bit of background on Boyce, I met him last year during a private workout when he was totally unknown.  I really liked his film, and started promoting him as a possible fast riser in the spring.  Since that time, Boyce and I have seen each other many times, and we've developed a pretty good relationship.  I talked to Boyce today and he was budding with excitement over the offer.  In the last 24 hours he's received offers from Texas, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss, but the Texas offer seems to have made the biggest impact from what I can tell.  He will release his top schools soon, and I'd expect Texas, Arkansas, Baylor, A&M, and Ole Miss to be in there.  I also expect Texas to be at the top of his list.  Kobe is going to do some thinking, but he wants to make a commitment soon and I think in the end it will be Texas.  

Here are a couple of quotes from him.

On getting the offer

"I wasn't expecting it to be honest"

On how he feels about Texas

"I loved it, I really feel at home there"

On what the coaches said

"They said they watched my film and they offered me.  Coach Strong offered me himself so that was really cool".

On how practice looked

"Everything looked great out there.  When (Jerrod) Heard gets back they'll be real good I think".

========

Temple (TX) DE Taquon Graham also made the trip to Austin this week to get some time with the Texas coaches.  The visit went great, Graham really enjoyed himself and spent a lot of time with Brick Haley and Vance Bedford.  Graham is targeting a pre-season commitment, but he's not exactly sure where.  Texas probably sits in the lead at this point.  Graham loves his relationship with the coaching staff, and he can see himself as a fit for Texas as a dynamic edge rusher.  

=======

Dylan Moses made his way to campus as a bit of a surprise after he allegedly cancelled this week.  We haven't been able to connect with Moses, but he did have these tweets.  

I still consider it a longshot, but it seems Texas helped themselves this weekend

=======

We caught up with a couple of sources who saw the Texas practice today.  We only got a few notes, but we are still chasing down more.  Here are some random quotes about the workout.

"The pace was insane, there was always something going on".

"Swoopes looked great with no pressure, but in team situations he was holding onto the ball too long".

"Shane (Buechele) looked real good throwing the ball, but he's small.  He looks like a kid out there".

"The defense is strong in the secondary, and the entire unit looks close to taking the next step towards elite".

We'll have more for you when we get it.  

It was a big day for recruiting news, and it couldn't have come at a worse time.  With nearly the entire staff en route to Houston for the Opening Regional.  We've caught up with some of the prospects on campus today and have some notes for you.

Lake Dallas (TX) DB Kobe Boyce was offered today.  I was asked about a month ago who the next commit would be, and at the time I said I expected Boyce to get an offer soon and that I thought he would commit shortly thereafter.  The offer came in the timeframe I was expecting, and although Boyce is playing things close to the vest I feel confident in saying he will be the next commit.  Just a little bit of background on Boyce, I met him last year during a private workout when he was totally unknown.  I really liked his film, and started promoting him as a possible fast riser in the spring.  Since that time, Boyce and I have seen each other many times, and we've developed a pretty good relationship.  I talked to Boyce today and he was budding with excitement over the offer.  In the last 24 hours he's received offers from Texas, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss, but the Texas offer seems to have made the biggest impact from what I can tell.  He will release his top schools soon, and I'd expect Texas, Arkansas, Baylor, A&M, and Ole Miss to be in there.  I also expect Texas to be at the top of his list.  Kobe is going to do some thinking, but he wants to make a commitment soon and I think in the end it will be Texas.  

Here are a couple of quotes from him.

On getting the offer

"I wasn't expecting it to be honest"

On how he feels about Texas

"I loved it, I really feel at home there"

On what the coaches said

"They said they watched my film and they offered me.  Coach Strong offered me himself so that was really cool".

On how practice looked

"Everything looked great out there.  When (Jerrod) Heard gets back they'll be real good I think".

========

Temple (TX) DE Taquon Graham also made the trip to Austin this week to get some time with the Texas coaches.  The visit went great, Graham really enjoyed himself and spent a lot of time with Brick Haley and Vance Bedford.  Graham is targeting a pre-season commitment, but he's not exactly sure where.  Texas probably sits in the lead at this point.  Graham loves his relationship with the coaching staff, and he can see himself as a fit for Texas as a dynamic edge rusher.  

=======

Dylan Moses made his way to campus as a bit of a surprise after he allegedly cancelled this week.  We haven't been able to connect with Moses, but he did have these tweets.  

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011
— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011

I still consider it a longshot, but it seems Texas helped themselves this weekend

=======

We caught up with a couple of sources who saw the Texas practice today.  We only got a few notes, but we are still chasing down more.  Here are some random quotes about the workout.

"The pace was insane, there was always something going on".

"Swoopes looked great with no pressure, but in team situations he was holding onto the ball too long".

"Shane (Buechele) looked real good throwing the ball, but he's small.  He looks like a kid out there".

"The defense is strong in the secondary, and the entire unit looks close to taking the next step towards elite".

We'll have more for you when we get it.  

I don't have a lot of optimism for this team in 2016 if Swoopes is the starting QB again.

I don't have a lot of optimism for this team in 2016 if Swoopes is the starting QB again.

What is wrong with just getting behind whoever the coaches think the best player is? Is having faith in the coaches such an outdated concept? Is believing in the idea that each person can get better than they were before such an impossible concept?

I do. I believe we can win 8-9 games this year even with Swoopes as QB. The reasons I believe we could have a successful season even with Swoope's flaws are:

1. Swoopes- As others have posted a player can always improve in areas even with their flaws. Every report I've read about Swoopes is that he's a hard worker. John Harris was an example of player having a good senior year after being a disappointment before that.

2. The Baylor offense- Briles has coached at Baylor for eight years. His first year they finished 42nd in points scored and the second year they finished 101st because RG3 was injured for the year. Starting Briles' third year, Baylor has been the most successful offense in college football and it's an offense that helps the QB to look better since it's QB friendly and the he doesn't have to think as much. The quick pace means no substituting by the defense and a more tired defense in the fourth quarter since they will have to tackle two running backs that are fast and weight around 240 lbs and a 245 lbs quarterback.

3.Gilbert Sterlin- This will be Swoopes fourth OC in four years and it would seem that this is the best offense for him to run. I like the Sterlin hire because it's the system that's the star not the person. Although Sterlin has shown that he can successful teach the system wherever he goes. It's not only adding Gilbert, but subtracting Watson. Shawn Watson was an awful OC. Not only because he wouldn't or couldn't change the offense to suit his talent, he also didn't take input from his assistants including the soap opera with his OL coach. I believe Gilbert will figure out an offense that will take advantage of the things Swoopes does well and try to minimize his weakness.

4.The supporting cast- Whoever is the QB will have a better OL, WRs and RBs. Vance Bedford at his press conference was talking about  how the defense is having trouble tackling the Big Backs. He said when Warren turns his shoulder it's like a mack truck coming at you. Vance is also impress with our three big WRs Collin Johnson, John Burt and Deandre McNeal. 

5. Buechele- Last year when Swoopes couldn't do the job we had only had Heard who also had trouble passing. This year we also have Buechele who looks like the long term answer at QB. If Swoopes can't do the job, then we have the option of Buechele to see if he's the answer this year.

What is wrong with just getting behind whoever the coaches think the best player is? Is having faith in the coaches such an outdated concept? Is believing in the idea that each person can get better than they were before such an impossible concept?

With all due respect we can support our university but still have concerns over Swoopes and more importantly the coaches. I'm not putting faith into any of them. I want to see it. Strong is 11-14 here and getting blown out in games at a record pace. He also hired the worst offensive coaching staff in football and has had to reset the entire coaching staff in 3 yrs. He chose to not recruit a QB in 2015 other than Locksley who appears may be better suited to play WR. So sorry if some of us do not have much faith in the current decision making be made. The best part of this whole situation is Strong gets the chance to get it right this year and if he doesn't we will have a new coach in 2017 most likely.

With all due respect we can support our university but still have concerns over Swoopes and more importantly the coaches. I'm not putting faith into any of them. I want to see it. Strong is 11-14 here and getting blown out in games at a record pace. He also hired the worst offensive coaching staff in football and has had to reset the entire coaching staff in 3 yrs. He chose to not recruit a QB in 2015 other than Locksley who appears may be better suited to play WR. So sorry if some of us do not have much faith in the current decision making be made. The best part of this whole situation is Strong gets the chance to get it right this year and if he doesn't we will have a new coach in 2017 most likely.

Yea, it never ceases to amaze me that if you are critical of something going on or have concerns about where things are, then you don't, or can't, fully support the program. Sorry, but that's bullshit.

There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just not doing it again this year.

If you can't see the difference in recruiting and development,or Charlie's ability to coach and base all your opinions on wins/loses,then no one can help you.There's a reason everytime Charlie talks to a recruit,he gets three offers. Shawn Watson was only the choice after Patterson said the richest school in the country can't afford your top 2 so go shop in the bargain bin. Stop blaming Charlie for the offensive hires.

If you can't see the difference in recruiting and development,or Charlie's ability to coach and base all your opinions on wins/loses,then no one can help you.There's a reason everytime Charlie talks to a recruit,he gets three offers. Shawn Watson was only the choice after Patterson said the richest school in the country can't afford your top 2 so go shop in the bargain bin. Stop blaming Charlie for the offensive hires.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.  

Its completely and utterly absurd to blame a head coach for the assistant coach hires or a win-loss record.   Thats just crazy talk.   

Ok dont being sarcastic.  I think this team will be better than most think.  Defense will be special.  I am willing to give Swoopes another crack at it with Gilbert at the helm and a better OL.  A backup plan is to set Buechelle to an IV of weight gainer 8000 shakes.

There is nothing wrong with that, I'm just not doing it again this year.

The reason coach Strong is off to an historically bad start,he was given an historically bad hands-off. You have to go back to 1937,the last time a coach inherited a class that produced 0 NFL draft picks. Dana X Bible was 3 and 14 with 1 tie his first 2 years,went 5-4 year 3 before turning it around. Wins and loses don't tell the full story. Watch the games see talented,young,hungry,improving players. Get a feel for where the program is going,before calling out the coaching staff. What scares me is there are people in power that hung on Mack's every word in his later years that will decide the direction of the team. If we fire Strong and either baylor or wvu find a booster with deep enough picked to bring him in as DC,Texas won't rise again in big 12 until the NFL lures him away.

The reason coach Strong is off to an historically bad start,he was given an historically bad hands-off. You have to go back to 1937,the last time a coach inherited a class that produced 0 NFL draft picks. Dana X Bible was 3 and 14 with 1 tie his first 2 years,went 5-4 year 3 before turning it around. Wins and loses don't tell the full story. Watch the games see talented,young,hungry,improving players. Get a feel for where the program is going,before calling out the coaching staff. What scares me is there are people in power that hung on Mack's every word in his later years that will decide the direction of the team. If we fire Strong and either baylor or wvu find a booster with deep enough picked to bring him in as DC,Texas won't rise again in big 12 until the NFL lures him away.

We all know the situation he walked into.  Now I say to you.  Why did he keep that asshat Watson as OC through an entire off season after getting blown out in 3 of the last 4 games in his first year.  

Watson was a pro style QB coach and was trusted to install a hurry up spread type of offense?  An entire off season and spring ball thrown into the wind.  All it produced was a faster 3 and out.

So even if we all buy into its the BMD's, Patter$ons, Macks and whatever else you can come up with the reason we were blown out by Iowa F'ng State that one decision is all on Charlie buddy.  

I have high hopes this year.  I feel confident this team will turn the corner IF we have decent QB play.  So we will see.  Im pulling for Strong, his kids love him and he recruits well.  Now if he can stop getting blown out then we will be in good shape.