Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ALL DAY CHAT!!!

Mike Roach

Where do we stand with Brock Wright? Tennison is looking around pretty hard right now apparently so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he jumps ship.

It's looking like the tight end curse at Texas could continue.  Tennison is indeed looking, and the smart money is on him de-committing at some point in the nxt few months.  Wright has been committed to Notre Dame forever, and I can't imagine anything that would sway him this way.  It's time for Texas to take a look out of state to see what they can find.  If they want to look in state there are a couple of options I like.

Brian Polendey - Denton Guyer 

Kenny Nelson - Frisco Wakeland

Of course they will also continue to pursue La Vega's Kedrick James, but I consider that a longshot at this point.

What about Damion Miller? He's apparently looking around a little as well.

Miller definitely is looking around, and he seems to be dazzled by the allure of the SEC.  I feel more confident on him though.  I get the feeling he sticks if the offense can really come on this year.  It all starts at the spring game.  Miller will be in attendance, and some razzle dazzle would be a nice first step there.

Who does everyone have in their final 4?

Mine personally is Kansas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Michigan State.  I have Michigan State winning it all.  I will say, that if Texas can get two wins, I could see them beating Oklahoma easily.  This is a potentially dangerous team if they get hot.

Who does everyone have in their final 4?

Mine personally is Kansas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Michigan State.  I have Michigan State winning it all.  I will say, that if Texas can get two wins, I could see them beating Oklahoma easily.  This is a potentially dangerous team if they get hot.

I've got 4 or 5 different brackets. Hell, I can't remember who the final 4's are but I have Kansas winning in all of them.

ICYMI: Here is the info on our new 2017 rankings.

The 2017 class boats a tremendous amount of talent. So much talent that we changed our usual top 50 list of rankings to a top 100. This is the second version of the 2017 rankings, following an initial list last summer. These seniors delivered on their junior film, which gave us a much wider net to cast in search of our rankings. Our recruiting analysts Daniel Seahorn and Mike Roach combined their individual rankings after evaluating nearly 400 players. The rankings were in sore need of an update, and we believe we’ve poured the proper amount of work into it to give you a great product.

The number one spot came down to two players, but in the end we felt Kennedale linebacker Baron Browning edged out Bellaire Episcopal defensive tackle Marvin Wilson for the top honors. The debate for that spot was a back and forth affair, but in the end we found that Browning had one of the most unique skillsets we’d seen in quite some time. Browning, Wilson, and Jeff Okudah of South Grand Prairie make up our five star players in this class. Guyer quarterback Shawn Robinson held the top spot on the inaugural list, and even though he dropped a bit after an up and down junior season, we still think he’s an elite college prospect.

This year shows the state is incredibly deep at wide receiver. Players like Omar Manning, Damion Miller, Mannie Netherly, and Tylan Wallace were considered for the top player at the position. We view this as a wide open contest going into the next year, with the next tier of players like RJ Sneed, Jalen Reagor, Charleston Rambo, and Tyrell Shavers fighting to be in the competition. The depth and top end talent at the position this season is staggering.

Offensive line also looks promising for this cycle. Walker Little is our top prospect at the position, while Jack Anderson, Tyrese Robinson, Austin Deculus, and Grayson Reed will try and make their case over the course of the next year.

Quarterback is also stacked with depth, and Texas commit Sam Ehlinger makes his way into the top 10 after a fantastic junior season. If the state is down at any position, it is probably along the defensive line and at cornerback. While there is plenty of depth at the cornerback position, the top end talent isn’t quite where we’ve seen it in past years.

As of the publishing of this list, we will immediately start re-evaluating players for the next update. The camp circuit in the spring is a great tool for that. So take a look at the first ever HornSports 2017 Top 100, and feel free to discuss with us on the Burnt Orange Board.

View the HornSports 2017 Top 100

1. Mike, do you think EJ Holland dresses funny?

I do.

2. Do you think Taylor Hamm is a douche, to put it politely?

I do.

#2manchat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) EJ dresses uniquely, which fits his style.  It's not my style, but kudos to him because he takes a lot of ridicule in our circle for it.  He also tries to regularly give me fashion advice which I disregard.  EJ is one of the best guys out there though.

2) Polite answer: Taylor Hamm is a great co-worker

He and I got into it on twitter the other night, because his purpose of being a troll caught up to him.  It went exactly like I thought it would, I hit him with factual information and he bragged about how many followers he had and about how he was trying to do me a favor in talking to me. I also received messages from two different 247 writers (from different team sites) apologizing for his behavior because they felt it reflected poorly on the network overall.

#2manchat

I saw that twitter exchange. I almost jumped in it but Hamster's whiny ass already has me blocked on twitter and I usually don't hold my tongue well when it comes to him. I would seriously drop that guy like a lead balloon if I ever came across his punk ass in person.

I've heard the Big 12 would expand if UT would give up the LHN.  UT, on the other hand, says it will be a cold day in May before that happens.  ESPN was involved in this meeting (oops) and said they would structure the "New" Big 12 network if the Big 12 could present a viable platform (read attractive expansion teams) for ESPN to generate money.  Fox network has jumped in and said "Wait a minute".

So the question is for you mods, assuming you have either heard the same or have other avenues of info:

1.  Is Big 12 expansion attainable?

2.  Are there teams that could bring $$$ to the table, without diluting the conference $$$ pie?

3.  Do you think  OU will jump ship.

4.  Do you think UT will jump ship?

5.. I have heard that FSU has renewed interest in the Big 12- GOR or no.  Any of you here the same?

I've heard the Big 12 would expand if UT would give up the LHN.  UT, on the other hand, says it will be a cold day in May before that happens.  ESPN was involved in this meeting (oops) and said they would structure the "New" Big 12 network if the Big 12 could present a viable platform (read attractive expansion teams) for ESPN to generate money.  Fox network has jumped in and said "Wait a minute".

So the question is for you mods, assuming you have either heard the same or have other avenues of info:

1.  Is Big 12 expansion attainable?

2.  Are there teams that could bring $$$ to the table, without diluting the conference $$$ pie?

3.  Do you think  OU will jump ship.

4.  Do you think UT will jump ship?

5.. I have heard that FSU has renewed interest in the Big 12- GOR or no.  Any of you here the same?

I'm not the foremost expert on expansion, and it really makes my head hurt thinking about it.  I'll give you my best opinion on everything here.

1) Is it attainable? Yes.  Is it beneficial?  I don't know about that.  Sure they could expand with teams like Houston, BYU, Boise, Louisville, etc., but that seems like just doing more of the same.  Unless the Big 12 could pull off something like a Notre Dame (they can't) or even an Arkansas, they continue to be looked at as a Big East type football conference.  It is a big deal to athletics.  There are a number of kids who would be committed to Texas right now that buy into the SEC stuff.  Yes it helps the Aggies, but the bigger issue is the footprint of schools like Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, and LSU into the state.  The Aggies were a trojan horse for those teams that gave them legit in-roads to this state.  

2) I don't think so.  They've had some chances, and it seems like the only thing left is scraps.

3) Boy they sound like they are ready to.  Oklahoma is an attractive program to a number of conferences, but as bad as the blood is on the field every October, the leadership at both Texas and Oklahoma have both proven to have cool heads in situations like these.  They tend to work together as uneasy allies understanding that they are a big part of each others lives.  For years both schools recognized they were the alpha males at the table, and they operated as such, but lately it seems Oklahoma has a fire in their belly to get out.  If they did I would predict the conference falls apart.  Which leads me to my next point...

4) Whenever it's time to talk expansion or secession, I hope the leadership at UT is ready to address this aggressively.  The fact of the matter is they've not been on the forefront in matters like these.  I'm not sure if it is a lack of vision or general arrogance, but the leadership needs to realize it is a very important decision in front of them.  Recent times have shown that the UT brand isn't enough anymore.  College football as a whole has changed, and Texas has an opportunity to re-establish some strength while possibly dealing a blow to a school like Baylor.  Is Mike Perrin the right man to be at the rudder for these rough seas?  I'm not sure, but if Oklahoma were to bolt it becomes a very real discussion.  This thing could turn into the SWC part deux real quick.

5) I don't know much about FSU in that regard, other than apparently there was some interest at one time.  I'm not sure if they'd want to leave a newly strengthened ACC.

Expansion theoreticals listing the same bunch of sad sack B-list schools makes my head hurt.

Cincy, Cougar High, FL-Directional...stop it.

Here's a question for the board. If this conference sucks so bad, why can't Texas ever win it in football, basketball or baseball?

I mentioned those schools because they've been most frequently talked about. I think any of those are disastrous.

Your 2nd question is a good one. Interestingly enough I think basketball is the closest to winning it and they may have the toughest road.

Mike, given Charlie's style, do you think we get another commitment this Spring, and if so, who do you think is most likely to pull the trigger?

Switching to basketball, do you think we get Jarrett Allen?

I don't think a spring commitment is out of the question. If I had to guess I'd say Kobe Boyce gets an offer and commits.

No clue on Allen, but things are becoming more positive there.