Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jerrod Heard

Danny Hale

Jerrod Heard to me should be the QB all Texas fans hope wins the starting QB job because that would mean he has added short passing game accuracy. My 5 reasons I`m hoping Jerrod is Texas QB.

1. Heard`s running is an elite talent . not VY elite but Jerrod has skill.

2. Heard has shown he can create big plays in vertical passing game.

3. Heard`s running should really open some space for Texas RB`s.

4. Allow Shane Buechelle to redshirt which is really important long term.

5. Heard is an elite talent when running which removes defender from passing game creating easier reads .

But none of those 5 reasons matter if Jerrod can not complete the short passes with accuracy to what should be young but talented WR`s group.

the good news is for first time under Strong the offense has an actual direction with coaching staff that can teach the schemes.

I also hope Jerrod is the starter for many of the same reasons. I am still baffled by his run production. After the Cal game I thought "We have found our QB." Then he was pedestrian at best. He ran for 115 vs OU but all of our backs gashed those fools the whole game. He never gained more than 61 yards in any of the following games and seldom threw the ball. I'm sure the opponents game planned to stop his production but was our offensive brain trust so ineffective that they couldn't counter in any way? They found a way to use Swoopes and it wasn't a secret when he came in that we would pound the rock. Aside from accurate short throws there isn't much "physically" that would limit Heard. I hope it was just the lack of an offensive game plan but if that's the case we truly had the worst offensive staff at any level of collegiate football. 

IMO, what everyone should expect is Jerrod Heard at QB.  How soon we forget that the kid is uber talented and, last year, he was just a baby playing amongst men.

Why all the angst over the QB position, anyway?  We will have two experienced signal callers with two RS freshmen as backup.

Yeah, I know all about Swoops - the leading scorer on the team last year - but he won't be the starter - just the backup.  I fully expect Locksley to get some significant playing time as well.  It's gonna happen because the Longhorns are going to be salty - and I mean VERY.

As such, we will blow out a few teams allowing Kai to show his wares in mop up roles.

Or did no one realize how good we will be this year?  Very good, my friends, don't let the nancy's sway your optimism.

My biggest concern with Jerrod is his inability to throw a wet ball.  Look at the Kansas State game last year that was played in the rain.  He just couldn't pass the ball at all.

Well, in defense of Heard, neither could Kansas.

That rain storm was equivalent to a tropical storm.  It was brutal.

I want Heard to have success as our QB. I sadly have to admit that i have very little patience with anything in life, so i dont see it happening. But i would like to think that i am humble enough to admit i am almost always wrong.

I will have a problem if Swoops is the starting QB. 

I had to laugh.  Don't be so hard on yourself.

I cannot help liking you. :)

Jerrod Heard to me should be the QB all Texas fans hope wins the starting QB job because that would mean he has added short passing game accuracy. My 5 reasons I`m hoping Jerrod is Texas QB.

1. Heard`s running is an elite talent . not VY elite but Jerrod has skill.

2. Heard has shown he can create big plays in vertical passing game.

3. Heard`s running should really open some space for Texas RB`s.

4. Allow Shane Buechelle to redshirt which is really important long term.

5. Heard is an elite talent when running which removes defender from passing game creating easier reads .

But none of those 5 reasons matter if Jerrod can not complete the short passes with accuracy to what should be young but talented WR`s group.

the good news is for first time under Strong the offense has an actual direction with coaching staff that can teach the schemes.

Agree with everything you wrote. Heard is the best runner at QB, so if he can pass accurately then he will be a dangerous weapon. The Cal game where he had 577 yards shows what Heard can do when he can both run and pass effectively. Trent Dilfer thought Heard had Heisman potential.

I have read good things about Locksley as far as being a hard worker and leader, however I don't know anything about how good a passer he is. I do know that Buechelle outperformed Locksley and Zack Gentry the TE at the Under the Lights camp a couple of years ago.

I am very optimistic about Buechelle and Ehlinger for the future, especially after watching Ehlinger's junior highlights.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3185948/highlights/328801409

IMO, what everyone should expect is Jerrod Heard at QB.  How soon we forget that the kid is uber talented and, last year, he was just a baby playing amongst men.

Why all the angst over the QB position, anyway?  We will have two experienced signal callers with two RS freshmen as backup.

Yeah, I know all about Swoops - the leading scorer on the team last year - but he won't be the starter - just the backup.  I fully expect Locksley to get some significant playing time as well.  It's gonna happen because the Longhorns are going to be salty - and I mean VERY.

As such, we will blow out a few teams allowing Kai to show his wares in mop up roles.

Or did no one realize how good we will be this year?  Very good, my friends, don't let the nancy's sway your optimism.

There you go again Doc, a longhorn fan waking from a coma would think Texas is QBU. We have five signal callers who haven't done anything on the college level. I will be happy if we can get two of them to be effective next year.

I agree with you on not letting the nancy's sway your optimism. However, I believe you shouldn't let the molly sway your realism. Sometimes I think you just took molly and everything is beautiful for UT.

Agree with most of whats been said here so far. I was a Heard believer a long time ago and still feel there's some serious talent yet to tap in him. We saw glimpses of it last year. With a year of experience and some confidence instilled in him by Gilbert, I expect to see an greatly improved Heard this fall. Poise is the word that comes to mind.

That said, the Locksley fellow is a driven man. Word I've heard from several people is that he's improved leaps and bounds over when he first arrived. Being a coaches' son, he doesn't like to ride pine. So he will battle for the job. Don't be surprised to hear his name a lot.

Swoopes, like someone else said, . . we know what we have in him. I think he's a good fall-back for Heard and Locksley with all the experience he has. He's limited, but effective when the other team doesn't get to game plan it so much the week before.

I really hope Buechele gets to redshirt. Let him compete for the job and if he doesn't win it, shirt him. Let him grow and develop a year and take another stab at it. He's not just a talented kid, he's a smart and gutsy player,. . the kind of player a team will rally around and play for.

Agree with most of whats been said here so far. I was a Heard believer a long time ago and still feel there's some serious talent yet to tap in him. We saw glimpses of it last year. With a year of experience and some confidence instilled in him by Gilbert, I expect to see an greatly improved Heard this fall. Poise is the word that comes to mind.

That said, the Locksley fellow is a driven man. Word I've heard from several people is that he's improved leaps and bounds over when he first arrived. Being a coaches' son, he doesn't like to ride pine. So he will battle for the job. Don't be surprised to hear his name a lot.

Swoopes, like someone else said, . . we know what we have in him. I think he's a good fall-back for Heard and Locksley with all the experience he has. He's limited, but effective when the other team doesn't get to game plan it so much the week before.

I really hope Buechele gets to redshirt. Let him compete for the job and if he doesn't win it, shirt him. Let him grow and develop a year and take another stab at it. He's not just a talented kid, he's a smart and gutsy player,. . the kind of player a team will rally around and play for.

I really think we'll find our QB of the future this upcoming season

Are players no longer allowed to improve from one year to the next? Flatly stating that you can't support a particular player based only on what they did or didn't do last year is downright foolish IMO. 

Who are you talking about? I've haven't seen any poster say they won't support a particular player.

I've seen members post that they are concern about Heard and Swoopes from last year which is a reasonable concern based on their performance. However, everybody is optimistic that Gilbert will get a good performance from someone.

I'm counting on Collin Johnson to start the first game. I like the thought of whoever is our QB is will have a great athlete who will probably have four or five inches in height against any defensive back.

Are players no longer allowed to improve from one year to the next? Flatly stating that you can't support a particular player based only on what they did or didn't do last year is downright foolish IMO. 

Sure, they can.

I don't care who the starting QB is next year. I just want whoever it is to be better than what we had in 2015. Especially in the passing game, since ours ranked 117th last season.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25/p3

Agree with you SHL.. I also think we'll need more than one guy.  We've been pretty lucky I guess the last 2 years but QB injuries are a reality (ask Baylor).  I don't know why, but I do have a concern about Heard being healthy for an entire season if he is the starter again this year.  Just looking forward to the competition and the new look and blood for the offense this fall

Per Chip

"I'm hearing the guys putting in the most work on their own are Locksley, Buechele and Merrick.

The coach who runs the Briles offense I talked to said he'd favor Swoopes over Heard (because of Heard's lack of consistency and lack of growth in the passing game last year).

But the coach said if Locksley. can grasp the offense ... he'd be the ideal QB to run the offense because he's big, strong AND has receiver speed.

Even Briles has never had a QB like that running his offense.

I'm hearing Buechele has plenty enough moxie to run the offense. The concern I'm hearing is Buechele and Merrick (and even Heard) may need more physical development to hold up leading this offense."

Brown, C. (2016). http://www.scout.com/college/texas/forums/2441-horns-house-subscribers-only

There you go again Doc, a longhorn fan waking from a coma would think Texas is QBU. We have five signal callers who haven't done anything on the college level. I will be happy if we can get two of them to be effective next year.

I agree with you on not letting the nancy's sway your optimism. However, I believe you shouldn't let the molly sway your realism. Sometimes I think you just took molly and everything is beautiful for UT.

Define realism - at least as it applies to UT.

Jerrod Heard was a RS freshman last year.  Did everyone really expect him to be Colt McCoy?  He has matured a year and he has a year of experience.  He will be better - much better.

The problem i see with so many is they feel a youngster, that is still a baby, can't improve.  Like he is locked in granite forever.

The same people that were howling for Heard to replace Swoopes now say he ain't got what it takes.  And just the year before they were saying he was a high school phenom and will  be in college as well.

If everyone thinks our team will be no better than last year, they are crazy.  If "reality" is saying we can't beat ND, OU, BU, TTU, TCU, OSU than you need to understand what reality really is.

Define realism - at least as it applies to UT.

Jerrod Heard was a RS freshman last year.  Did everyone really expect him to be Colt McCoy?  He has matured a year and he has a year of experience.  He will be better - much better.

The problem i see with so many is they feel a youngster, that is still a baby, can't improve.  Like he is locked in granite forever.

The same people that were howling for Heard to replace Swoopes now say he ain't got what it takes.  And just the year before they were saying he was a high school phenom and will  be in college as well.

If everyone thinks our team will be no better than last year, they are crazy.  If "reality" is saying we can't beat ND, OU, BU, TTU, TCU, OSU than you need to understand what reality really is.

Your reply is a straw man argument. I was commenting on your following statement:

I have said nothing about Heard not improving. I was commenting on how we don't have any proven QB's and you keep acting like we do. Doc this is the second time you have attached a different argument to something I didn't say which I find is dishonest. So cut it out.

Straw man

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent.

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Per Chip

"I'm hearing the guys putting in the most work on their own are Locksley, Buechele and Merrick.

The coach who runs the Briles offense I talked to said he'd favor Swoopes over Heard (because of Heard's lack of consistency and lack of growth in the passing game last year).

But the coach said if Locksley. can grasp the offense ... he'd be the ideal QB to run the offense because he's big, strong AND has receiver speed.

Even Briles has never had a QB like that running his offense.

I'm hearing Buechele has plenty enough moxie to run the offense. The concern I'm hearing is Buechele and Merrick (and even Heard) may need more physical development to hold up leading this offense."

Brown, C. (2016). http://www.scout.com/college/texas/forums/2441-horns-house-subscribers-only

This brings up an interesting question for me. Does this mean that Heard is working hard and the other three are working like crazy or does this mean that Heard is not putting in the work that he needs to for the job.

Chip was the one that reported that the coaches weren't happy with the work Heard put in once he was told that he was going to redshirt.

The coach who runs the Briles offense I talked to said he'd favor Swoopes over Heard

I'm not sure what that coach has seen that shows that Swoopes is a better passer than Heard.

This brings up an interesting question for me. Does this mean that Heard is working hard and the other three are working like crazy or does this mean that Heard is not putting in the work that he needs to for the job.

Chip was the one that reported that the coaches weren't happy with the work Heard put in once he was told that he was going to redshirt.

The coach who runs the Briles offense I talked to said he'd favor Swoopes over Heard

I'm not sure what that coach has seen that shows that Swoopes is a better passer than Heard.

The only QB listed that DOES NOT need to be considered is Swoopes IMHO. Regardless of the "physical attributes" he has been given ample opportunity to prove himself. I don't know if it's mental or psychological but he can't handle the lead role. Some of the same comments on Heard seem to keep coming up. He doesn't put in "the work" like the other QB's. It makes me think he will only do whatever is required by the staff. It's like he's not intrinsically motivated. Of all the QB's he is the only one with any game experience that possess all of desired abilities needed to be an elite QB. I've made the comparison of Heard to Vince Young statistically in their first year playing and they are very similar. What is yet to be determined is if the drive that made VY great exists in Heard. VY was silly and playful and Mack questioned early whether that personality could lead a team. Mack finally realized that Vince's relaxed demeanor was accompanied by a phenomenal competitiveness. He would do and did anything it took to win. Colt had the same competitiveness in a less physically gifted package. It seems the current and former offensive staffs question whether Heard has that competitiveness. The old coaching adage of "the will to win is less important than the will to prepare to win" is preventing Heard from claiming the starting job.