Find results in...

ANYTHING SPRING FOOTBALL!!

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an extensive conversation with my friend earlier today. I was able to ask a lot of questions and received some candid and straightforward answers. Hopefully, no one gets upset about this post. H

If that is a quote from Higs, I find it strange as well.I dont care how realistic at the first week. The whole point is to teach the offense to press forward and run more plays. yes,yes,yes....I under

I'm a huge Bluiett fan.    Guy has moved positions almost every year, and has been productive almost every year. That's a team player right there. 

Posted Images

Some spring weights now posted by Texas ...

OFFENSE

QB

Shane Buechele ... 6-1, 191

Matthew Merrick ... 6-3, 200

Kai Locksley .........6-4, 200

Jerrod Heard ........ 6-2, 203

Tyrone Swoopes .... 6-4, 254

RB

Chris Warren III ..... 6-2, 255

D'Onta Foreman ..... 6-0, 238

Kirk Johnson .......... 6-0, 191

Tristian Houston ..... 5-10, 216

WR

Ryan Newsome ....... 5-8, 166

John Burt ............... 6-3, 189

Collin Johnson ......... 6-6, 212

DeAndre McNeal ...... 6-2, 227

Armanti Foreman ......5-11, 209

TE

Caleb Bluiett ............ 6-3, 266

Andrew Beck ............ 6-3, 244

Blake Whiteley ......... 6-5, 252

OL

Connor Williams .......6-6, 288

Zach Shackelford .....6-3, 296

Brandon Hodges ...... 6-4, 318

Terrell Cuney ...........6-2, 298

Patrick Vahe ............6-3, 326

Kent Perkins ........... 6-5, 320

Tristan Nickelson ..... 6-9, 316

Buck Major ............. 6-6, 328

Garrett Thomas ....... 6-6, 300

DEFENSE

DL

Charles Omenihu ...... 6-6, 262

Paul Boyette ............ 6-3, 314

Poona Ford .............. 5-11, 313

Chris Nelson ............. 6-1, 301

Bryce Cottrell ........... 6-2, 266

Naashon Hughes ....... 6-4, 239

Derick Roberson ........ 6-3, 248

Quincy Vasser ........... 6-4, 246

Jake McMillon ............ 6-3, 294

LB

Malik Jefferson ......... 6-3, 238

Breckyn Hager .......... 6-3, 230

Anthony Wheeler ....... 6-2, 232

Cameron Townsend .... 6-0, 222

Demarco Boyd ............5-11, 240

Edwin Freeman .......... 6-1, 232

DB

Holton Hill .................6-2, 195

DaVante Davis .......... 6-2, 199

Sheroid Evans ........... 6-1, 194

DeShon Elliott ........... 6-1, 215

P.J. Locke III .............5-11, 204

Kris Boyd .................. 6-0, 192

Jason Hall .................. 6-3, 219

Dylan Haines .............. 6-1, 201

John Bonney .............. 6-1, 192

Kevin Vaccaro .............5-8, 182

[tweet = https://twitter.com/chrisgb00/status/706280886543646720]

Per Chip:

DEFENSIVE END:

This will be one of the more intriguing positions to watch in the spring, because Texas lacked a consistent pass rush in 2015, and SDE Shiro Davis has moved on.

I'm told SDE Bryce Cottrell, whose family greatly values education, is still waiting on responses to applications for graduate school, leaving open the possibility that he could leave Texas as a graduate transfer sometime after spring ball.

So at SDE, the guy who really needs to step up is Quincy Vasser. And the lack of depth means someone who has been lined up at Fox End could be moved over to SDE. My nomination would be Naashon Hughes or Charles Omenihu.

Omenihu is up to 262 this spring after playing at 235 last year.

Otherwise, the guy who I think will come in and contend for a starting spot as a freshman at SDE is Andrew Fitzgerald, who is already 6-5 and 255 pounds and a grown man with a nasty streak.

The reason I would be willing to move Omenihu over to SDE is because I think that's where Omenihu ends up anyway - but also because I think Malik Jefferson is the Fox End. The kid is not a middle linebacker. He's a pass rusher. And, I think, a really gifted one.

Derick Roberson, who is still recovering from injuries from a car accident this spring, could back up Jefferson at Fox End.

LINEBACKER:

If Jefferson moved to Fox End, the first guy I'd want to look at middle linebacker this spring is Breckyn Hager.

The guy is an animal. He was banged up last year and was playing at 218. I'm told Hager is up to 237 and looks good. Making the Texas defense great again is important to him, because his father, Brit, is Texas' all-time leading tackler (and Breckyn wants to break all his records).

I think Anthony Wheeler, who is up to 232 pounds, is a force at outside linebacker along with Ed Freeman. Cameron Townsend is coming out of a redshirt, and everything I've been told about Townsend is that he has a very high football IQ and will fit right into this defense in some sort of rotation.

Obviously, there is a need for everyone to show out this spring with Jeffrey McCulloch and Erick Fowler arriving this summer.

I think Tim Cole or Dalton Santos could end up as a fullback candidate, if they can't crack the two-deep.

Brown, C. (2016). http://www.scout.com/college/texas/forums/2441-horns-house/14612097-spring-football-preview-the-defense

Reading elsewhere that, in his press conference, Charlie said that Swoopes would take the first snaps at QB in spring practice. 

He did say that but I did not interpret it to mean much.  More like he finished there last year.  I just can't see Swoopes there for long.  He's just too slow in making a correct decision.

I'm going to have to disagree with Charlie on the no weapons core value. It's not fair for the football players not to be allowed to carry a gun when all the other UT students are packing.

University of Texas dean quits school for job in Pennsylvania because of Lone Star state’s new policy allowing guns on campus

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/univ-texas-dean-quits-new-gun-law-article-1.2544150

post-5612-0-48003500-1457391665_thumb.jpeg

Reading elsewhere that, in his press conference, Charlie said that Swoopes would take the first snaps at QB in spring practice. 

I don't have a problem with that. Swoopes was the starting and winning QB in the last game UT played last year against Baylor and he is the senior. Swoopes deserves to start the spring as number one due to the fact that he helped beat  Art Briles.

Just read the roster. Wow, Warren at 255#!!! Hope he hasn't sacrificed any quickness. Wouldn't want to tackle him, especially with Foreman pounding them first!

I noticed that too that's 23 lbs more than last year. That's Jerome Bettis weight. If Warren doesn't lose any quickness or speed at that weight then he's gong to be monster.

Really, it worries me. I think that is just too damned big.Speed and quickness are one thing, but stamina is another. I want him to wear a defense down, not the other way around. The one hope I have is that Moorer has done a tremendous job so far in adding muscle without slowing guys down.. If he really can play at that weight he might be something we have not seen since Earl as far as just running over everyone.