Find results in...

2017 Recruiting Thread Part 1

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All due respect to IT, but we've had the Graham commitment really well and have been saying not to worry for the last few weeks. In fact, I was told today by our fantastic source on the matter he's d

I don't think recognizing it as an asshole tweet is attacking the kid. For the kid, this is part of growing up. He'll make stupid decisions like this because he's young. They all do. But the longer th

I'm not going to be critical of Herman's class. Charlie's recruiting tactics played against Herman so when he hit the ground in Austin, he had some serious ground to make up. With the big names, it wa

Posted Images

Here's the full post on Tucker.

Derrick Tucker didn’t waste much time pulling the trigger. The four-star safety out of Manvel gave Texas A&M a verbal commitment in May over offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA and a number of other major programs. So where do things stand now? “I’m solid on A&M right now,†Tucker said. “I don’t think anything is going to change. It’s all about the relationships I have with the coaches and the other commits. I feel like we are going to do some great things there.â€

Tucker said he still hears from schools here and there, including Texas. The Longhorns offered Tucker early on and were considered a frontrunner in his recruitment. “Texas has reached out a little bit,†Tucker said. “They still send me some direct messages on Twitter. Coach (Clay) Jennings just asks me how I’m doing and things like that. It’s nothing too serious right now.†Texas currently has one safety pledge in Hooks product Montrell Estell and could take another. Right now, the position is not a priority, but Tucker could turn into an option down the line.

Tucker admitted that he still has some interest in the Longhorns, but he is worried about the depth on the Longhorns’ roster and influx of talent. “They have a lot of good people up there,†Tucker said. “I feel like they have all their spots, so I don’t know. But I do really see them doing some good things up there. They just have a lot of good people.†Tucker has no plans to visit other schools at this time. At 6-foot-2, 194 pounds, Tucker is ranked as the No. 17 safety in the country and No. 28 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Here's the full post on Tucker.

Derrick Tucker didn’t waste much time pulling the trigger. The four-star safety out of Manvel gave Texas A&M a verbal commitment in May over offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA and a number of other major programs. So where do things stand now? “I’m solid on A&M right now,†Tucker said. “I don’t think anything is going to change. It’s all about the relationships I have with the coaches and the other commits. I feel like we are going to do some great things there.â€

Tucker said he still hears from schools here and there, including Texas. The Longhorns offered Tucker early on and were considered a frontrunner in his recruitment. “Texas has reached out a little bit,†Tucker said. “They still send me some direct messages on Twitter. Coach (Clay) Jennings just asks me how I’m doing and things like that. It’s nothing too serious right now.†Texas currently has one safety pledge in Hooks product Montrell Estell and could take another. Right now, the position is not a priority, but Tucker could turn into an option down the line.

Tucker admitted that he still has some interest in the Longhorns, but he is worried about the depth on the Longhorns’ roster and influx of talent. “They have a lot of good people up there,†Tucker said. “I feel like they have all their spots, so I don’t know. But I do really see them doing some good things up there. They just have a lot of good people.†Tucker has no plans to visit other schools at this time. At 6-foot-2, 194 pounds, Tucker is ranked as the No. 17 safety in the country and No. 28 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Sounds to me like he's running from the competition at safety that we have.

I think this is the one on Leatherwood.

The five-star Alabama offensive line commitment picked up a UT offer last Thursday. Leatherwood, out of Pensacola (FL) Washington, has been committed to Bama since June of last year. On the surface, it looked like Texas would be facing a near insurmountable task in getting him to consider the Longhorns. While it still feels like a longshot, Leatherwood told me this week he would like to get to Austin for a visit at some point.

Key quote:"I want to go check them out, check out the program, sit down and talk to coach (Charlie) Strong, the O-line coach," Leatherwood said.

A few factors to consider:Leatherwood's mother lives in Killeen, he's serious about his academics and he has one other connection to the UT program that can only help Texas' chances.

"My coach, he's actually really good friends with the strength coach there (Pat Moorer)," Leatherwood said.

How the offer went down:Leatherwood said Texas reached out to him on Twitter and he began texting with members of the UT staff. He eventually was put on the phone with Charlie Strong, at which time the offer was extended.

His thoughts on the offer ...

"I just like the tradition. And Charlie Strong himself. He's a great coach," Leatherwood said.

Friends with other UT prospects:Leatherwood is friends with a number of elite national prospects that he met at the Five-Star Challenge and at The Opening. That includes UT targets Marvin Wilson and Baron Browning. Leatherwood said those two are not recruiting him to Texas, but knowing they have an interest in the Longhorns is something he's aware of.

"That got mixed up. They're not recruiting me there," Leatherwood said. "I just know they had interest in that school, and they're two of my really good friends. That's what strengthens my interest in Texas, because my relationship with those two."

Upcoming visits:So far, Leatherwood has two official visits set up. He'll be at Michigan the weekend of October 1 for the Wisconsin game, and will be at Alabama the weekend of November 26 when the Crimson Tide hosts Auburn.

He does want to take all five of his visits, but said his remaining three are "up in the air" at this point.

Key factors:The 6-5, 298-pound Leatherwood wants to double major in engineering and business. Gotta love the ambition. As far as what a school like Michigan, Texas or anyone else would have to do to get him to seriously reconsider his Alabama commitment, Leatherwood said a few factors will weigh heavily into his final decision.

"It's not what they have to do. Just show me what they have the offer, then I'll weigh the two out and see what's best for me," Leatherwood said. "Academics will be a big part, then seeing how well I click with the offensive line coach, where Ii see the program going, things of that nature."

I think this is the one on Leatherwood.

The five-star Alabama offensive line commitment picked up a UT offer last Thursday. Leatherwood, out of Pensacola (FL) Washington, has been committed to Bama since June of last year. On the surface, it looked like Texas would be facing a near insurmountable task in getting him to consider the Longhorns. While it still feels like a longshot, Leatherwood told me this week he would like to get to Austin for a visit at some point.

Key quote:"I want to go check them out, check out the program, sit down and talk to coach (Charlie) Strong, the O-line coach," Leatherwood said.

A few factors to consider:Leatherwood's mother lives in Killeen, he's serious about his academics and he has one other connection to the UT program that can only help Texas' chances.

"My coach, he's actually really good friends with the strength coach there (Pat Moorer)," Leatherwood said.

How the offer went down:Leatherwood said Texas reached out to him on Twitter and he began texting with members of the UT staff. He eventually was put on the phone with Charlie Strong, at which time the offer was extended.

His thoughts on the offer ...

"I just like the tradition. And Charlie Strong himself. He's a great coach," Leatherwood said.

Friends with other UT prospects:Leatherwood is friends with a number of elite national prospects that he met at the Five-Star Challenge and at The Opening. That includes UT targets Marvin Wilson and Baron Browning. Leatherwood said those two are not recruiting him to Texas, but knowing they have an interest in the Longhorns is something he's aware of.

"That got mixed up. They're not recruiting me there," Leatherwood said. "I just know they had interest in that school, and they're two of my really good friends. That's what strengthens my interest in Texas, because my relationship with those two."

Upcoming visits:So far, Leatherwood has two official visits set up. He'll be at Michigan the weekend of October 1 for the Wisconsin game, and will be at Alabama the weekend of November 26 when the Crimson Tide hosts Auburn.

He does want to take all five of his visits, but said his remaining three are "up in the air" at this point.

Key factors:The 6-5, 298-pound Leatherwood wants to double major in engineering and business. Gotta love the ambition. As far as what a school like Michigan, Texas or anyone else would have to do to get him to seriously reconsider his Alabama commitment, Leatherwood said a few factors will weigh heavily into his final decision.

"It's not what they have to do. Just show me what they have the offer, then I'll weigh the two out and see what's best for me," Leatherwood said. "Academics will be a big part, then seeing how well I click with the offensive line coach, where Ii see the program going, things of that nature."

That's some big important news in regards to leatherwood. Very good that he's really considering Texas. And his mom lives in my hometown Killeen. Plus his coach is good friends with our strength and conditioning coach Pat Moorer. Academic wise we have so much more to offer than alabama. Alabama is so easy to get into compared to Texas. I think we have a real good shot with leatherwood