Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2017 Recruiting Thread Part 1

Duke C #11

Ready to see where we go in national recruiting ranks now. 47 last I saw I believe. These couple recruits should help. Herman making a name for himself and proving the doubters wrong. Next step is winning

Curious how much impact adding "3*" guys moves us up the rankings? Not

complaining about these guys, they most likely are underrated. Does the shear number of commits move us up the ladder in the rankings?

Curious how much impact adding "3*" guys moves us up the rankings? Not

complaining about these guys, they most likely are underrated. Does the shear number of commits move us up the ladder in the rankings?

Yes, it does because it adds to your overall point total. Next to the point total will be average score per player (rating). So it all makes sense within that structure. Both volume and quality are put into the overall team rating.

The Carter flip brought us a 4-star RB, which helped our average per player. The next two helped us in volume. We'll have a small class anyway so we really don't need help on numbers. We need quality.

That said, I don't sweat a Brewer commitment because his value to us will show up later when he's catching TDs in Herman's offense. As long as Herman has the parts he wants, I'm good.

IMO Young's tape looks even better than Carter's. ...

I think its a good 2-man combo.  They compliment

Herman used both big and small at UH, but at tOSU he did seem to favor the big guys and did some great things with them

IT on Young http://insidetexas.com/young-commits-to-texas/

".... How he fits at Texas: Young is one of the more interesting running backs I’ve seen out of high school. He lacks breakaway speed but his first few steps typically get him to the hole and he has a spin move he uses liberally to help him cut through traffic. He’s not a guy Texas will want to try and use to flank opponents on the perimeter but he’s a wrecking ball between the tackles and if he learns to block he could be a nice complement as a RB/FB hybrid." – IB

IT on Brewer  http://insidetexas.com/brewer-flips-to-texas/

I think they make a good point about Bluiett, if he had one more year of eligibility, he could have racked up some stats in this offense

".... How he fits at Texas: Brewer reminds me of Ricky Seals-Jones in that he’s just credible enough as a blocker at H-back that he can play the position and open up a wide world of possibilities in the world of play-action, quick game, and misdirection TE screens. Brewer has better hands then RSJ though and is already about 220 with the potential to reach 240 or better in college. Brewer is a willing blocker but he’s been working in Lake Travis’ outside zone-based run game and isn’t executing a lot of smashmouth techniques like kicking out a DE. He’s also been spending at least half his time flexed out wide where his plus speed and route running at the position make him a favorite target amidst a loaded cast of skill talent for the Cavs. If Brewer can add size, strength, and blocking technique he could be a dominant, dual-threat TE. If he just grows enough to be a credible blocker he could still be a lethal weapon thanks to his athleticism and receiving skills. – IB

Coach Says: Tight end recruiting is alive and well again for the Longhorns. This year Houston’s tight end had more targets than both Andrew Beck and Caleb Bluiett combined, and with Bluiett graduating it is going to be imperative to find some capable bodies for the position. While Bluiett was used more for the dirty work as a blocker, Brewer is used frequently in the passing game up the road at Lake Travis and will fill the role of the “move†tight end and will line up all over the formation. Brewer caught 51 passes for 813 yards and 14 touchdowns in a Lake Travis offense that made it all the way to the state title game in 2015, and this year has been more of the same. The Texas staff got a very close look at Brewer this past weekend when Lake Travis took on Westlake, and they must have liked what they saw because they offered right after. Brewer is a more than capable option for the new offense that will be rolled out in Austin in 2017.

I think its a good 2-man combo. They compliment

Herman used both big and small at UH, but at tOSU he did seem to love the big guys and did some great things with them

IT on Young http://insidetexas.com/young-commits-to-texas/

".... How he fits at Texas: Young is one of the more interesting running backs I’ve seen out of high school. He lacks breakaway speed but his first few steps typically get him to the hole and he has a spin move he uses liberally to help him cut through traffic. He’s not a guy Texas will want to try and use to flank opponents on the perimeter but he’s a wrecking ball between the tackles and if he learns to block he could be a nice complement as a RB/FB hybrid." – IB

I like this RB combo they picked up. Needed depth and potential game breaking ability in Carter. Adding Brewer gives me hope that we will go over the middle this year and open things up for our playmakers on the putside. Not saying Brewer is personally going to open it up, but rather the offense is going to make an effort to.

For rest of 2017, all I want is a pure edge rusher in Chaisson, at least 1 versitle OLine player in Polley (would love 2) , 1 more playmaker on the outside in Manning, either Calloway or Sheffield at the CB position to fill out that haul, and 1 LB for depth (Bimage). Anything else is gravy (Leitao at TE). I would be satisfied with that for 2017.

I'm still bitter about losing Little, Browning, and Wilson, but I'll get over it with GOOD coaching of the players they have.

....For rest of 2017, all I want is a pure edge rusher in Chaisson, at least 1 versitle OLine player in Polley (would love 2) , 1 more playmaker on the outside in Manning, either Calloway or Sheffield at the CB position to fill out that haul, and 1 LB for depth (Bimage). Anything else is gravy (Leitao at TE). I would be satisfied with that for 2017.....

All I want for Christmas is .......

Here is Nahlin on Young http://insidetexas.com/thoughts-on-cade-brewer-and-daniel-young/

"Last Spring I took a gander at Young’s highlights and was impressed enough to say he was a Texas level running back, especially with Charlie Strong’s fondness for bigger backs.

Isn’t it funny how things work out?

Young doesn’t spec out as a game-changer, but rather a punishing platoon back and accoutrement to a complementary type, like say a speed back with slashing ability. A guy like Toneil Carter.

Behind a good line, Young can become very productive. He’s quick and light on his feet for his 6-foot, 21o (but still growing) pound frame. He gets downhill and doesn’t pretend to not be a bruising runner like so many his size. He gets behind his pads, creates downhill velocity, and takes the North-South yardage available.

Besides his ability, one of the early eye-catchers for me was Young’s Boise State offer. I hold Bryan Harsin’s eye for talent and schematic fit in high regard, and Young will serve much the same Inside Zone function for Texas he would have at Houston or Boise State.

His floor is a reliable short yardage back, but his ceiling is a punishing #2 back and fan favorite, imo. I’m operating in a world where the second back accumulates 800 yards so this is no slight."

Nahlin on Brewer  http://insidetexas.com/thoughts-on-cade-brewer-and-daniel-young/

"..... Brewer definitely fits in the ‘skill’ mold. He’s a big possession receiver who will make plays in man coverage thanks to deft use of his body and quality hands. He’ll also exploit zone coverage and make the most of available space between defenders focused on more dangerous athletes. A good sign of his athleticism is the myriad ways Lake Travis sought to get him the ball. But that’s more a function of being a decently fast and very coordinated guy than being a speed merchant that translates to the next level.

Because the position can be used in so many ways, it’s also the most easily schemed to open space. How many times have you seen linebackers caught napping by a tight end who arc blocked ten times in a row? Brewer isn’t yet a punishing blocker but his body projection tells me that will be in his future if he’s mentally up to it, and that will increase his validity as an in-line weapon even more.

Overall I’m really excited about Brewer, especially when you understand the prominence of his fit in the offense. Andrew Beck will be hard for Brewer to unseat in year-one, but after that he’ll be a big part of the offense."

I like this RB combo they picked up. Needed depth and potential game breaking ability in Carter. Adding Brewer gives me hope that we will go over the middle this year and open things up for our playmakers on the putside. Not saying Brewer is personally going to open it up, but rather the offense is going to make an effort to.

For rest of 2017, all I want is a pure edge rusher in Chaisson, at least 1 versitle OLine player in Polley (would love 2) , 1 more playmaker on the outside in Manning, either Calloway or Sheffield at the CB position to fill out that haul, and 1 LB for depth (Bimage). Anything else is gravy (Leitao at TE). I would be satisfied with that for 2017.

I'm still bitter about losing Little, Browning, and Wilson, but I'll get over it with GOOD coaching of the players they have.

Just remember that all these kids will be true freshman. I am excited to have them all. But we may take some lumps while they grow. 

4 CBs yesterday of Bimage to Texas

All 15 CBs (100%) for Reese Leitao are to Texas 

The last 3 CBs for Eno Benjamin are to ASU (looks like all 3 are since the Young announcement)

Holland recently added a CB for Grant Polley to Texas (current Buff commit)

And Jeff Howe got his Texas CBs in for Brewer and Young moments before the news hit (lol)

Speaking of Twitter, Lagaryonn Carson took down Texas commit off his Twitter and his background is nothing but blue. Just wonder if he's finally been told he won't make it in or what. Don't think their is anybody out their who expects the kid to make it in. Wish I was wrong