Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So you think Ole Miss is not up to something ...

NWAHorn

• Administrators

There is no cheating going on at Ole Miss or the SEC. At least that's what I've been reading from MBHORNSFAN.

Did you read the actually story. Most of of it is before Freeze got there when they sucked. LMAO

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14673673/ole-miss-rebels-charged-multiple-rules-violations-three-sports-ncaa

There is no cheating going on at Ole Miss or the SEC. At least that's what I've been reading from MBHORNSFAN.

Obviously you missed the whole point of my post. Texas fans make fun of aggie because aggie is convinced we are cheating. Texas fan accuses everyone else of cheating. Texas fans 100% convinced Texas is not cheating. Yeah that is pretty f##king stupid.  How about we ALL realize everyone is throwing benefits around.

Obviously you missed the whole point of my post. Texas fans make fun of aggie because aggie is convinced we are cheating. Texas fan accuses everyone else of cheating. Texas fans 100% convinced Texas is not cheating. Yeah that is pretty f##king stupid. How about we ALL realize everyone is throwing benefits around.

I have a very tough time believing there is a multi-billion dollar industry in illicit college sports payments that is entirely dependent on thousands of teenagers not saying anything that is thriving outside the ability of hundreds of professional journalists to uncover.

Any journalist who could expose "what every team is doing" would make their career just like Bayliss did with the SMU scandal, but every one of the 18 and 19 year old kids the scheme depends on stays quiet and none of the 20 year career journalists can put two and two together and make themselves a millionaire sports journalism celebrity?

All the journalists would rather keep writing for sports blogs and making next to nothing to trade it all in for financial security and widespread fame.

Yea. I believe that. Not.

I have a very tough time believing there is a multi-billion dollar industry in illicit college sports payments that is entirely dependent on thousands of teenagers not saying anything that is thriving outside the ability of hundreds of professional journalists to uncover.

Any journalist who could expose "what every team is doing" would make their career just like Bayliss did with the SMU scandal, but every one of the 18 and 19 year old kids the scheme depends on stays quiet and none of the 20 year career journalists can put two and two together and make themselves a millionaire sports journalism celebrity?

All the journalists would rather keep writing for sports blogs and making next to nothing to trade it all in for financial security and widespread fame.

Yea. I believe that. Not.

Well to listen to everyone here that is what they believe. thousands of kids are getting paid and not talking... Yeah sure. LOL

Ouch. Someone's a bit sensitive on this subject. lol

But to the point of Freeze . . . and this may deserve to be posted on the SEC Bias thread. . . but notice that the focus of the ESPN article is how "most" of the infractions took place before Freeze . . . as if this somehow excuses Freeze. And obviously it's worked because it gets repeated here.

Here's whats wrong with this journalism. They spent the first few graphs paving a safe passage for Freeze with words. Then finally they get to that point about 4-5 graphs in where they bring up Freeze, but never detail what the infractionS are. Reader is left with the impression that a small amount of infractions are so unworthy they're not worth mentioning.

Another way of looking at that, journalistically, would be "Ole Miss infractions include some during Freeze tenure."

SEC needs no PR dept when they have ESPN around.

Someone help me out with this "everybody does it" concept . . . IF Texas is engaged in throwing around money, benefits, whatever at recruits . . . why doesn't our talent pool look like Alabama's? I mean, we could literally buy that entire university with our alumni if we wanted to. lol

If it's about buying recruits, we would be national champs every single year.

Well to listen to everyone here that is what they believe. thousands of kids are getting paid and not talking... Yeah sure. LOL

Any 18 year old kid who sees the next kid getting two pairs of shoes when he only got one is going to sing like a canary. There is no way in hell thousands of 18 year old kids who come from nothing are going to "know their place" and remain silent while other layers who are ranked higher get more money.

The 18 year old mind doesn't work that way.

And no sports writer is going to ignore how Skip Bayliss made his money, decide to remain silent, continue to be a low paid sports blogger and "know their place."

Let me close this discussion with this. The difference between me and many of you is every time we lose a commit I don't blame the $$$. Hell is may or may not be true that is what actually happened. The reason I don't do that I think it is wrong to accuse a kid or cheating without proof. Find proof and get after it. Also I really don't care if they are getting paid. Everyone is making millions off these kids and they are many times left with broken bodies and nothing else. Make that paper while you can.

If anyone could explain the alleged corruption that people say dominates college football, they would get a million dollar plus contract from any one of a number of sports media groups to tell the story. The alleged corruption scandals at public universities would be a story of epic proportions. And all this rests on 18 and 19 year old kids to remain silent and reporters who "know the truth" being willing to remain poor, underpaid stiffs to protect "the system."

Bullshit.

If anyone could explain the alleged corruption that people say dominates college football, they would get a million dollar plus contract from any one of a number of sports media groups to tell the story. The alleged corruption scandals at public universities would be a story of epic proportions. And all this rests on 18 and 19 year old kids to remain silent and reporters who "know the truth" being willing to remain poor, underpaid stiffs to protect "the system."

Bullshit.

Sirhornsalot disagrees with you

Sirhornsalot disagrees with you

If Sirhornsalot had the ability to prove his conjecture, he could immediately trade in his lucrative, yet demanding, landscaping business in for the life of a multimillionaire sports journalist, working less than 20 hours a week.

Do any of us accept he is so beholden to "knowing his place" and that he would remain silent because he holds the values of corruption and facilitating felonious activity so paramount? Accepting financial gifts and not reporting them constitutes felony tax evasion. Just saying.

I have too much respect for Sirhornsalot to believe he would remain silent when he had knowledge of organized criminal activity and widespread violations of federal law.

I think the biggest problem with illicit payments these days is actually keeping them secret. To Duke's point, most 18-year olds don't know how to keep themselves off social media and would be unable to keep these hidden. IMO, this is why the NCAA has approved "full cost of tuition" scholarships, additional stipends for P5, etc. 

But, just for arguments sake I give you "Meet The Bagman". It's worth a read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

I think the biggest problem with illicit payments these days is actually keeping them secret. To Duke's point, most 18-year olds don't know how to keep themselves off social media and would be unable to keep these secret. IMO, this is why the NCAA has approved "full cost of tuition" scholarships, additional stipends for P5, etc. 

But, just for arguments sake I give you "Meet The Bagman". It's worth a read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

I've read the article. But we need to remember we live in a world where Notre Dame and the Manti Te'o story made Deadspin tens of millions of dollars.

Having definitive proof, or even having a trail that could be tracked down through state Open Records Act requests or even federal subpoenas, could make an individual a multi millionaire in a day. i refuse to believe there are thousands of people (including 18 year old kids who could make more from their story than they could ever make playing professional sports)  willing to pass up multi-millionaire wealth to preserve the status quo of small time college football corruption.

It just doesn't make sense. Nice story, but pure bullshit.

I've read the article. But we need to remember we live in a world where Notre Dame and the Manti Te'o story made Deadspin tens of millions of dollars.

We also live in a world where the NCAA doesn't want to catch anybody. Why kill the golden goose?

A college athlete telling his story about receiving illicit payments and benefits isn't as juicy as Te'o's fictional girlfriend, IMO. Historically, only the brazenly stupid have gotten caught - SMU, aggie, Miami, and USC among others. And that's only because dogged journalists were able to produce tangible evidence.

The juice isn't worth the squeeze for most of these kids. It's a non-story because many people assume it's going on everywhere. 

Having definitive proof, or even having a trail that could be tracked down through state Open Records Act requests or even federal subpoenas, could make an individual a multi millionaire in a day. i refuse to believe there are thousands of people (including 18 year old kids who could make more from their story than they could ever make playing professional sports)  willing to pass up multi-millionaire wealth to preserve the status quo of small time college football corruption.

It just doesn't make sense. Nice story, but pure bullshit.

Ever read the Albert Means story? How many hands were in that cookie jar? And all of that just stopped? That wasn't fiction or bullshit.

Remember, Means wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. If not for a "handler" and his paper trail, that case would have been harder to take on.

That case and others have showed us how this happens. It's not kept silent. Tons of people know. But the NCAA won't do a thing unless it's got SLAM DUNK written all over it.

Ever read the Albert Means story? How many hands were in that cookie jar? And all of that just stopped? That wasn't fiction or bullshit.

Remember, Means wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. If not for a "handler" and his paper trail, that case would have been harder to take on.

That case and others have showed us how this happens. It's not kept silent. Tons of people know. But the NCAA won't do a thing unless it's got SLAM DUNK written all over it.

Make yourself a millionaire by Monday morning. Blow the lid off corruption in major college football.

I can get you the contact info for a segment producer for ESPN/ OTL. Likewise a contact into the Texas AG's office to get subpoena power. Here is your shot to quit busting your ass and be a multi-millionaire by next week.

It doesn't matter that "tons of people know," It only matters you know.

Either blow the lid off the whole scandal or admit you would rather "know your place" and perpetuate a multi-billion dollar federal crime.

Or, admit you are wrong about the multi-billion dollar conspiracy.