https://n.rivals.com/news/top-defensive-classes-by-position

LINEBACKERS

4. TEXAS

Erick Fowler, Manor, Tex., 5-stars, 6.1 Rivals Rating

Jeffrey McCulloch, Houston (Tex.) Aldine Davis, 5-stars, 5.8 Rivals Rating

DeMarco Boyd, Gilmer, Tex., 4-stars, 5.8 Rivals Rating

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

5. TEXAS

Dandre Christmas-Giles, New Orleans (La.) St. Augistine, 4-stars, 5.9 Rivals Rating

Chris Daniels, Euless (Tex.) Trinity, 4-stars, 5.8 Rivals Rating

Marcel Southall, Duncanville, Tex., 3-stars, 5.7 Rivals Rating

Jordan Elliott, Houston (Tex.) Westside, 3-stars, 5.7 Rivals Rating

Gerald Wilbon, Destrehan, La., 3-stars, 5.6 Rivals Rating

We did not show up in the top 5 for safety, OL or WR.

One more tidbit.

VY RS Freshman year 84/143 55% 1,155 yards 6 TDs 7 Ints

JH RS freshman year 92/159 58% 1,214 yards 5 TDs 5 Ints

Vince ended up being ok. I imagine some horn fans believed he couldn't throw also.

vince had an unorthodox throwing motion.  he had a cannon for an arm.  heard doesn't have the arm strength that vince or swoopes had/has.  that's one of the big differences.

I've said this before: I don't think Beuchele ever sees the field, at least not here. I think Heard will be the starter for as long as he's at Texas. And Elingher will probably be the guy who succeeds him...

Hopefully Shane sees & hears this. My guess is it will only make him work that much harder to become the starter.

vince had an unorthodox throwing motion. he had a cannon for an arm. heard doesn't have the arm strength that vince or swoopes had/has. that's one of the big differences.

Arm strength isn't the issue. He graded high on arm strength and elusiveness (8's). Accuracy and pocket presence are heards issues. The game against Cal showed me something is there he just has to put it together consistently.

Hopefully Shane sees & hears this. My guess is it will only make him work that much harder to become the starter.

I see Shane starting for a minimum of two years IF he redshirted. If he doesn't redshirt he starts all four years. The only way I'd burn his redshirt is if he wins the starting job. We can't waste a year of eligibilty as a backup

Heard can put some air under the ball. Go back and look at that pass to Burt for the long TD....Look where Heard was standing and look where Burt was as that pass landed perfectly....The ball traveled a little more than 50 yds in the air. I dont need a QB to throw it farther than that. My problem with Heard as a passer is that he doesnt seem to have the "vision" or natural instinct to be proficient. Adding to that, he has not shown a desire to spend the time in the film room to better those short comings.My hope is that more competition will cause him to try and get better. This past season he never did learn to just throw the ball away.

Heard can put some air under the ball. Go back and look at that pass to Burt for the long TD....Look where Heard was standing and look where Burt was as that pass landed perfectly....The ball traveled a little more than 50 yds in the air. I dont need a QB to throw it farther than that. My problem with Heard as a passer is that he doesnt seem to have the "vision" or natural instinct to be proficient. Adding to that, he has not shown a desire to spend the time in the film room to better those short comings.My hope is that more competition will cause him to try and get better. This past season he never did learn to just throw the ball away.

He also didn't seem to grasp the concept when he scrambled of sliding or stepping out of bounds after you pass the first down marker.

I'm curious. What is your source for the above statement in bold?

Why? If Heard wins the start then he's probably the guy for the next 3. Then, is Beuchele better than Elingher?

I could say "if Beuchele wins the starting job then Heard will never see the field again".  Heard has had  time to show he's the guy. So far he hasn't. Maybe he will later, but so far he hasn't. To come out and say Shane isn't going to see the field is ridiculous. 

North Texas....I am unsure of the source or sources....I have read several articles anywhere from OB to here to Scout or Yahoo that have repeated the theme that Heard ...uh...enjoyed his time during his redshirt year. I read an article that said Heard did not put the time in in the film room that Merrik and Locksley have. Have I been swayed by inaccurate reports?...maybe, but when I read it on these sites more than once I admit to being influenced.

Do you think I have been given bad information? Seriously, I want to know because nothing would make me happier than finding out Heard is studying his butt off.

I could say "if Beuchele wins the starting job then Heard will never see the field again". Heard has had time to show he's the guy. So far he hasn't. Maybe he will later, but so far he hasn't. To come out and say Shane isn't going to see the field is ridiculous.

So an unproven "decent" high school qb is better than the returning starter? How? Dude hasn't played not 1 down of D1 ball. And is he better than the guy coming in next year? You know, the POTY? What's ridiculous is to assume that the returning starter is just gonna hand the ball over to this cat. What even more ridiculous is to assume that this cat is better than the other qb's who have been here (Merrick/Locksley). I can very easily see a scenario where Beuchele never sees the field here...

one could argue that an unproven unseen player will automatically be better than a QB that played a whole season and showed no ability to pass whatever. One that did not have the field presence to throw the ball away instead of running OB with a 10 yd loss.....time after time after time.

I am not saying that Heard will not be the starter or even that he might show great improvement with a better system.But to talk about him as the returning starter like he was very accomplished doesnt make sense.

So an unproven "decent" high school qb is better than the returning starter? How? Dude hasn't played not 1 down of D1 ball. And is he better than the guy coming in next year? You know, the POTY? What's ridiculous is to assume that the returning starter is just gonna hand the ball over to this cat. What even more ridiculous is to assume that this cat is better than the other qb's who have been here (Merrick/Locksley). I can very easily see a scenario where Beuchele never sees the field here...

Good grief................you need to reread my posts.

At this point, everyone has a fresh start. Everyone needs to learn the system and they all have a chance to be the man. What Dbut said I agree with and will more than likely happen. The only difference for me might be the names. Heard may be the one to never see the field. Could be Kai or Merrick. No one really knows at this point, but at least 1 or 2 will never see significant snaps as a qb. Everyone is excited about Shane, but not much more so than when we got Heard. Everyone has a lot of work to do, but I find it hard to ridicule anyone's opinion on who will or wont play as a qb. Totally open competition right now.

one could argue that an unproven unseen player will automatically be better than a QB that played a whole season and showed no ability to pass whatever. One that did not have the field presence to throw the ball away instead of running OB with a 10 yd loss.....time after time after time.

I am not saying that Heard will not be the starter or even that he might show great improvement with a better system.But to talk about him as the returning starter like he was very accomplished doesnt make sense.

I see your point regarding talking about him as if he was VY reincarnate. But I think to compare the starting qb, especially one who's shown flashes of excellence at the D1 level (see Cali game), to a high school qb who only started 1 season and lost in bi-district just doesn't make sense to me...and I can easily see how said qb may never make it to the field. Especially considering the other qb's already here and who's coming (Elingher).

But I think to compare the starting qb, especially one who's shown flashes of excellence at the D1 level (see Cali game), to a high school qb who only started 1 season and lost in bi-district just doesn't make sense to me...

Ummm, I'm not sure who you're referring to, but the Shane Buechele currently enrolled at Texas was a 3 year starter who lost to Mansfield in the 3rd round this past year. Not saying you're wrong about the situation and how he might be in a tough spot (I think Heard is electric and definitely has the potential to start for 2-3 more years)... But if you're gonna doubt the kid, then at least know who he is and what he's done. He was also the best QB at the Elite 11, IMHO.

Ummm, I'm not sure who you're referring to, but the Shane Buechele currently enrolled at Texas was a 3 year starter who lost to Mansfield in the 3rd round this past year. Not saying you're wrong about the situation and how he might be in a tough spot (I think Heard is electric and definitely has the potential to start for 2-3 more years)... But if you're gonna doubt the kid, then at least know who he is and what he's done. He was also the best QB at the Elite 11, IMHO.

My bad...he did go 11-2 last year. It was 8-3 the year before. Point taken....

Competition will tell us who the best QB could be, but nothing can replace experience. This competition is definitely a good thing. I really don't care which one starts. I just want the one that gives us the best chance to win to start. I also want the backups developed. I doubt that one QB plays every snap due to injury.