Sign in to follow this  
HornSports Staff

National Signing Day 2016 Thread

As with the previous six seasons it is all going to depend on the QB position and OL.

For this exact reason, I'm thinking 7 to 8 wins heading into the bowl game. I think we'll see progress, but there will still be some growing pains due to a new offensive system and young, developing QBs. That said, I would fully expect to fight for the conference title in 2017.

Some kinda interesting Nahlin stuff --

"TELL ME ABOUT JANUARY 19TH

I often chuckle when someone says "nobody knows what's going."  I'll be the first to tell you I don't know everything, but you can't say nobody knows what's going on because you don't have a clue who everyone talks to.  So when I saw a certain A&M writer telling his subscribers nobody knew where Brandon Jones was leaning I had to laugh.

On January 19th, I learned Texas was getting Brandon Jones and Jordan Elliott.  Now, things got hairy on Jones last weekend but Texas was leading for him for some time and by the 19th he was giving excellent indication of where he was going.  Elliott was "in" but I had to hedge against Elliott's history of flip-flopping.

Also on that day I learned DC-G was in but I again had to hedge because of where he lives.

It was a big day, and my enthusiasm was hard to keep off-line.  I knew what was going to happen (it was already happening) but things can always change.  An example of things changing was hearing Stephon Taylor telling people he was going to Texas.  Can't win them all....."

Something else interesting from IT on both Fowler and JMad

I had not heard this before

".... One of the things that led us to believe that the chances of Fowler committing to Texas were higher than we originally thought was what we heard from an A&M pledge at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in early January.

I was able to talk to McKinney North DE and Texas A&M signee Justin Madubuike after an Army Bowl practice, and his response to one of my questions was surprising.

IT: Do any of the current Texas players reach out to you?

JM: There’s one guy here, his name is Fowlie?

IT: Fowler?

JM: Yeah. He’s like “why are you going to A&M, bro? Come to Texas.†That’s one of the guys that rings the bell, but I’m pretty good with A&M right now.

Hearing that an LSU commit was reportedly recruiting for Texas at a place where many of the best players in the country were hanging out was a huge tidbit. Luckily, Madubuike said that only seconds before another reporter came up to start asking his own questions. This was one of the things that led us to believe in early January that Texas still had a great chance to get the All-American linebacker to stay close to home.

I say 8-4 most likely. I'll be satisfied as long as we do not look incompetent in any of the losses.

A 9-3 would make me happy.

We go 10-2 and I will shit a gold brick.

I think you should sale the brick and split the proceeds among everyone predicting 10 wins. After you recuperate from the physical complications that accompany the "laying" of the brick of course.

what he say

I only caught it towards the end -- it seemed like he was playing a version of Where's Waldo

He and some other players were on a bus, and students or whoever was supposed to find them

Then they rolled into the stadium, he shut it down

Maybe if someone saw the whole thing, you will get a better explanation than mine (which seems pretty pathetic)

Johnnie Johnson...I'll never forget his stop of Thomas Lott on 4th down late in the 4th quarter, with

Texas clinging to a lead in the 1977 OU game. It was incredibly dramatic...Texas hadn't beaten OU

since 1970. OU was whipping Texas every year with an offense they copied from Texas (the Wishbone)

and with the best blue chip running backs recruited from Texas high schools. I never remember a more

dramatic, badly needed victory! It was SO SWEET to finally beat Switzer and those OU bastards!

I'm so thankful I got to be there in the Cotton Bowl that day. Definitely one of my best UT memories.

I think it's great that Johnnie's sons are playing football at UT...I'm expecting big things from them!

No better bloodlines.....

Absolutely right about JJ. What a player. I even loved him after he hit my girlfriend (successfully, I might add)!

Johnnie Johnson...I'll never forget his stop of Thomas Lott on 4th down late in the 4th quarter, with

Texas clinging to a lead in the 1977 OU game. It was incredibly dramatic...Texas hadn't beaten OU

since 1970. OU was whipping Texas every year with an offense they copied from Texas (the Wishbone)

and with the best blue chip running backs recruited from Texas high schools. I never remember a more

dramatic, badly needed victory! It was SO SWEET to finally beat Switzer and those OU bastards!

I'm so thankful I got to be there in the Cotton Bowl that day. Definitely one of my best UT memories.

I think it's great that Johnnie's sons are playing football at UT...I'm expecting big things from them!

No better bloodlines.....

Absolutely right about JJ. What a player. I even loved him after he hit my girlfriend (successfully, I might add)!

We needed it on for Sumlin's OV talk with Shark, when he trashed Texas and Charlie

I so wish we had that video

Would probably be a bigger classic than the one of Sumlin stumblin drunk

Speaking of that, here is some OB on same, if you havent already seen it --

" .....  From what I have been told, the biggest turnoff by players who were pursued by Texas A&M and Texas was Kevin Sumlin’s negativity whenever he spoke about the Longhorns.  Sumlin and his staff constantly took jabs at Strong and Texas, which did not go over well with many parents.  Instead of selling his program, Sumlin spent more time ripping down Texas.  In fact, I was told one parent laid down the law with Sumlin and said, “I am tired of you talking about Texas. What can you tell me about Texas A&M?â€

Remember that triple option KO return we used run with him?

Wasnt always a thing of beauty, but when it did work, it was magic

Speaking of that, here is some OB on same, if you havent already seen it --

" .....  From what I have been told, the biggest turnoff by players who were pursued by Texas A&M and Texas was Kevin Sumlin’s negativity whenever he spoke about the Longhorns.  Sumlin and his staff constantly took jabs at Strong and Texas, which did not go over well with many parents.  Instead of selling his program, Sumlin spent more time ripping down Texas.  In fact, I was told one parent laid down the law with Sumlin and said, “I am tired of you talking about Texas. What can you tell me about Texas A&M?â€

Thanks for sharing that. Speaks volumes of the entire a&m culture and fan base.