Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

National Signing Day 2016 Thread

HornSports Staff

Someone can post if they want, I don't want to. Also they note that Jmad was another recruit who almost flipped, but he just couldn't pull the trigger.

I despise the " they paid " narrative when it comes to recruiting but like i said Tue was with an aggie bma and a few of his underlings and jmad was going to pull the trigger and he and q davis became must keeps bc they knew jones was gone and no one else was coming on board (mccullough elliot etc ) and if they lost either especially to Texas it was the perverbial straw that broke the camels back - It was beautiful to watch -Again not implying they were throwing money in a bag in front of me but it was def a priority enough to set down their cognac and cigars for a minute

And please dont let it sound as if I walk around sipping Cognac and hanging w bma all the time ( I cut trees down for a living ) - My lil sis is married to said bma's son - Really enjoy this board and dont want ppl getting some " im glorifying my life " perspective ðŸ˜

I think Perkins stays at Guard and Nichelson or Major starts at RT.

Might be best to keep him at guard, since he transitioned last year to guard.

I was under the impression that Okafor was the most ready of the OL recruits for starting.  

Shack's intelligence should make for a great center.

OL Line up

LT - Conner Williams

LG - Patrick Vahe

C - Zach Shackelford

RG - Denzel Okafor

RT - Perkins

* Wildcards

Ronnie Major

Thoughts?

I dont see Perkins back at RT.  He was not very good there.  But played well at OG.

I hope Buck Wang steps up at RT.  If not then we have Nickelson or Delance.or Hodges.

Center is interesting.  To me, Shack looks like he can play and he is an EE which should helps alot.  But we just have to wait and see.  We know Vahe does not want to play there.  Not sure about Perkins (would prefer to just leave him alone where he is happy and productive at RG -- but that means someone has to step up). Center is one domino that once it falls, could ripple through the line.  Maybe someone will surprise us and step up? Like Cuney or Rodriguez?

I bet Gilbert and Mattox are lookin at our offensive weapons like it's their first time at a buffet

I hope.

I would have preferred to see one more OT signed, as well as a mobile TE who can catch.  But other than that, we should be in pretty good shape.  The defense will be ahead of them, but you are right, we have an enviable array of weapons. 

Think if we line up Burt, Johnson and LJH (OK, I am getting ahead of myself but still its fun to think about) -- the odds are very high that one of them is going to find himself in single coverage against a short guy.  If we do not take advantage of this, then we are dumb.

I hope.

I would have preferred to see one more OT signed, as well as a mobile TE who can catch.  But other than that, we should be in pretty good shape.  The defense will be ahead of them, but your are right, we have weapons. 

Think if we line up Burt, Johnson and LJH (OK, I am getting ahead of myself but still its fun to think about) -- the odds are very high that one of them is going to find himself in single coverage against a short guy.  If we do not take advantage of this, then we are dumb.

Couldnt agree more....and trying to cover those guys will leave good opportunities for Warren

Per Chip Brown he thinks the QB focus will be on Locksly or Buechele. If that is the case then I would not be surprised to see Jarrod transfer. Swoops is here to stay and it will be interesting to see if the Coaches try to transition him to another position. 

Wonder how he'd do at TE...

This piece had some interesting stuff

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Jean-Mary-talks-Texas-2016-class-Strongs-recruiting-strategy-43466287

" ..... The staff is known for being extremely thorough when issuing an offer to a recruit. Jean-Mary used defensive tackle signee Chris Daniels as an example of a player who the staff didn’t feel was worthy of an offer based on his junior film and his academic standing, but he was when they watched his senior video and got his schoolwork in order.  They’re constantly evaluating and adjusting the board accordingly, he said, which is why you won’t see Texas gain a ton of commitments early in the cycle under Strong.

“We’re not going to be beat our chest about who we’re recruiting and how we’re recruiting them,†Jean-Mary said.  “If it were that easy to just swoop in in the fourth quarter and get what we consider high-level prospects, more people would do it.

We did a lot of work to put ourselves in that position.â€

-- Along those same lines, Jean-Mary said the staff had a plan from the first day of the cycle and carried it through until the last fax came through. It might have looked like Texas was playing from behind throughout the process on several guys, but behind closed doors there was no panic at any point.

“I don’t think there’s a kid we signed who can say we weren’t in touch with them at least for a full year, or by last spring if they popped up on the scene late,†Jean-Mary said.  “You can get our call logs and see for yourself.†.....

It'll be interesting to see if we sign quite a few 2017 targets earlier this cycle. Texas has the attention of the 2017 class and I'd be hard pressed to say we don't have the pick of the litter. Having Ehlinger and Carson already committed is a colossal step in the right direction. What an incredible week this has been. So happy to have shared it with all of you.

Strike while the iron is hot!