Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

National Signing Day 2016 Thread

HornSports Staff

I want to echo some of the sentiments expressed by others....thanks to everyone who brings info and opinions to this forum.  I am usually lurking and not necessarily contributing, but because the members are so good, I lurk A LOT.

It's been a hell of a ride these last few weeks, capped off by the best NSD in a LOOONG time for our beloved Longhorns.

Thanks and Hook Em!

Well anybody wanna agree with me or disagree with me but Strong has bought a new culture in recruiting. It makes us get excited about how he gets families involve and puts there trust in him. Having said all that I wanna congratulate ALL recruits that are given an opportunity to get a full ride scholarship to further there achievement and there goals.Not too many kids get this opportunity and it's not to be taken for granted. This is a new chapter for UT.We are all proud of them. God bless them all

Had to actually work most of day so just combing back through some of these. Want to put a Great Big LIKE on this one. Well-stated.

Yet both are very effective recruiters.

True. Mack also built on relationships, and superbly bonded with the HS coaches, and built off that with steady success. I'm giving Charlie credit for a huge effort in face of a horrible 2-season start and back against the wall recruiting against upstart Bailor and ongoing threat from TCU and clammerings from aggyland.

Speaking of this handle... Duke... I was in the stands in about the card section when Duke Carlisle intercepted Don Trull's pass to put that game away against Baylor in 1963. Fond memories.

Wouldn't be a surprise. He's been high on Strong for quite some time now. Some thought he was going to commit before the 2015 season started. Would love to have him.

I've noticed a few tweets from him. He's very impressed with how Strong did. He is IMO a freak of nature. I would love to have him

This is what I think is so important. Charlie Strong needed to start silencing his critics and start getting his leadership some breathing room and some momentum. I dare say today was a risky move that seems to have gone Charlie's way.

Mack was one hell of a recruiter and he didn't leave the fanbase with many questions on signing day. After a decade and a half, it became part of the football brand. The problem was that Mack wasn't willing to change with the times and when younger, more dynamic coaches showed they were willing to work to get the right players, the wheels fell for Mack.

Two losing seasons haven't bought Charlie Strong much goodwill, but damned if he hasn't made a statement today. Instead of having to explain himself to his critics, Charlie is finally in a position to just give them a look and not have to say anything. And he showed his way can make shit happen.

Now to build on that. Get them through the clearinghouse and on campus for summer session classes.

What a day.

Confess to having my feathers ruffled quite a few times last year by Duke, and was thin-skinned about it, but never popped off about it. Here I got almost to the end of the opening line and, having not noticed who wrote it at first, immediately knew the tone of it was by a straight thinker and writer (meaning an articulate son-of-a-gun). Saw Duke's name and that verified my surmise. (I do that same kind of 'bells going off' with some Debbie Downer contributions).

This was so well stated I could not better it if I tried. What Charlie did was "actions speaking louder than words," and he proved he can fight his way out of a bad situation and never give up. I remember the gawd-awful look on his face in particular after the ND game and TCU game. The man never wanted to ever endure that again, nor the end of the season. I'm thinking the players will take lead from that, thru the signing day, and realize you really can move beyond adversity. By acting and not taking it lying down.

Good statement, Duke! Hear, Hear!!

Yes, but they are sec good!

Some dialog is so fitting. Two I like, for different reasons..."Who's yur daddy now"! and "How's that workin' fer ya?!"

On aggy marrying the sec and banking on the coupling to cure-all, the second of those two applies quite well today: On sec helping the recutin', How's that workin' fer ya!

And on continuing to dispel Big Brother with little letters... Who's yur daddy now!

I love how MJ is so involved in helping Charlie rebuild.  

The most important recruit of the Strong era is MJ without a doubt.

Astute observation. Bares repeating. And MJ will have even more help on his side of the ball from now on.

As Curly's brother said about that gold bar in the Vegas hotel at the end of City Slickers II... "It's got friends!"

Two top 10 recruiting classes is enough to play for a championship, we just need to find THE guy at QB. 

Gilbert you are up

Gilbert, Mattox and all the O-staff and players should be pumped! I take it Norvell has stayed on. Playing a key position coaching part he can still contribute and can make a difference. Just has to focus on one position and help develop players at that position. Bring his attitude with it.

First class site with first class members. Many thanks to everyone to include moderators and 'insiders' with info to share. I #Believe we have a lot to look forward to with the last two classes on board. The culture of our program has now turned the corner. It's officially become Strongs mentality... Savages.

By way of quote, putting an extra Like on this one. Agree!

"somehow your moron coach convinced kids to choose 5-7 Texas over LSU, Bama and Ole Miss? Give me a break. #shady"

Unlike your situation, kids actually want to play for Charlie. Your players hate your coach. LOL

Feb 3, 2016 will go down as a momentous day that threw a Gulf of Mexico bucket of water on the concept that just being in the sec, or sec west, would make a difference. In anything. It hasn't. It didn't. It won't. To be continued...

Honestly I think it's gonna be Kai and it won't even be close Merrick coming in second.

Bold and could be. One thing missing first two years was decision making. Fast, invoking powerful lightening instincts instead of good luck or bad luck.

Could be any of these two or Shane could show better faster decisions, with the help of a smarter more effective scheme and offensive coaching. All the new wrinkles may favor others than who've been playing. Will see.

True. Mack also built on relationships, and superbly bonded with the HS coaches, and built off that with steady success. I'm giving Charlie credit for a huge effort in face of a horrible 2-season start and back against the wall recruiting against upstart Bailor and ongoing threat from TCU and clammerings from aggyland.

Speaking of this handle... Duke... I was in the stands in about the card section when Duke Carlisle intercepted Don Trull's pass to put that game away against Baylor in 1963. Fond memories.

Having grown up in Athens at the time I did, who else would be my hero as a kid? I'd have never had the chance to meet Coach Royal had it not been for Duke. People today have a hard time grasping that until that Cotton Bowl game, Duke was just one of a half dozen options UT had at QB, but at safety, he was a star, which is where the Green Bay Packers drafted him..

Per Chip Brown he thinks the QB focus will be on Locksly or Buechele. If that is the case then I would not be surprised to see Jarrod transfer. Swoops is here to stay and it will be interesting to see if the Coaches try to transition him to another position. 

Per Chip Brown he thinks the QB focus will be on Locksly or Buechele. If that is the case then I would not be surprised to see Jarrod transfer. Swoops is here to stay and it will be interesting to see if the Coaches try to transition him to another position.

Jerrod could always move to a different position as well. He's not the best passer.