Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Expectations year 3 for Strong

Excuse time is over. Its time to win.  Dustin over at OB posted this. This is what elite coaches have done in their first 3 yrs at new schools.  Strong is currently  6-7 and 5-7. 

Nick Saban at Alabama – 7-6, 12-2, 14-0 (National Title)
Pete Carroll at USC – 6-6, 11-2, 12-1 (National Title)
Jimbo Fisher at FSU – 10-4, 9-4, 12-2 (BCS), 14-0 (National Title)
Brian Kelly at Notre Dame – 8-5, 8-5, 12-1 (National Title Game appearance)
Jim Harbaugh at Stanford – 4-8, 5-7, 8-5, 12-1 (Rose Bowl)   ( I think we can add Michigan now too 10-3 first year)

So Jim Harbaugh only won 8 games in his third year - and they didn't run him off?

Seriously though - I worry less about a win total and more about what the perception of the program is.

8 wins won't mean a thing if they were close/flukes and we got blown out in the losses as opposed to 8 dominant wins and a few close losses.

So Jim Harbaugh only won 8 games in his third year - and they didn't run him off?

Seriously though - I worry less about a win total and more about what the perception of the program is.

8 wins won't mean a thing if they were close/flukes and we got blown out in the losses as opposed to 8 dominant wins and a few close losses.

I think Harbaugh is a good case study from his time at Stanford. I think Stanford winning 8 games in his 3rd year was probably looked upon as real progress So no they did not run him off. So do we really want to compare our program to Stanford? 

Stanford was pretty bad before Harbaugh took over. 

2002 Buddy Teevens 2- 9

2003 Buddy Teevens 4- 7

2004 Buddy Teevens 4- 7

2005 Walt Harris 5- 6

2006 Walt Harris 1- 11

I think Harbaugh is a good case study from his time at Stanford. I think Stanford winning 8 games in his 3rd year was probably looked upon as real progress So no they did not run him off. So do we really want to compare our program to Stanford? 

2002 Buddy Teevens 2- 9

2003 Buddy Teevens 4- 7

2004 Buddy Teevens 4- 7

2005 Walt Harris 5- 6

2006 Walt Harris 1- 11

UT was pretty bad before Strong took over.

Absolutely agree with the last sentence.

I'm looking at both the win total and the perception of where the program is. For me that means an expectation of a minimum of 8 wins and NO blowout losses. Winning 6 or 7 games, even with no blowout losses, is not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. 

2002 Buddy Teevens 2- 9

2003 Buddy Teevens 4- 7

2004 Buddy Teevens 4- 7

2005 Walt Harris 5- 6

2006 Walt Harris 1- 11

Saying Stanford was pretty bad before Harbaugh took over is being kind. They were terrible.

Just based on the records, Harbaugh inherited a much worse situation than Charlie did. 

I think we CAN win 9 games, i dont think we will. The biggest wildcard is Sterlin Gilbert, if he can create an offense that can put points on the board and take some pressure off of the defense then i think we CAN win 9 games.

I believe the biggest wild card is quarterback. I like everything I've read about Gilbert and that he can turn the offense around this year if he has a QB.

I think it's whether Gilbert can mold his offense to fit what we have. All coaches have their system that they run and their principles and try to recruit for their system. The BEST coaches can take their system and mold it around his players (especially when molding players to the system obviously won't work). If he can mold his system to fit our talents, then I think it's going to be a great season

The Tyler Rose

Tyler Rose Award Notebook: Earl expecting big things from Greg Ward Jr.

While Earl Campbell is elated a Tyler native, Greg Ward Jr., has won the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award, he wouldn’t mind a Texas Longhorn being nominated for the honor.

“I could go about a sneaky way and said it, but yes I am very much looking forward to a University of Texas Longhorn being up for this award,†Campbell said. “It is pretty exciting that this young man from the University of Houston and Tyler would be up for this award.â€

STRONG SEASON?

Campbell also said he expects good things from his Longhorns football team in 2016. Texas coach Charlie Strong is entering his third year as coach following 6-7 and 5-7 seasons.

“We, if I can speak for the University of Texas Longhorn nation, really love coach Strong and we stand behind what he is trying to do,†Campbell said. “Coach Strong had to come in and make some crucial decisions. We had some guys, students that did not want to do the right thing. That happens in life, pro football and at other colleges. It happened on our campus. And coach Strong had to put his rules in place.â€

Although the Longhorns have struggled the past two years, Campbell said Strong is building something.

“I think a parent would feel very safe about what coach Strong has done off the field as well as on the field (in building his program),†Campbell said. “I believe he has built that foundation. He got to the mountain this year and I believe next year he will get to the top of the mountain and look over it. I think we will see some bowl benefits and rankings benefits.â€

Campbell said overnight success is tough to achieve.

“When you say football in Texas and everyone gets excited and think you are automatically going to win, but it is not that simple,†Campbell said. “You have to build something. As my mother used to say, ‘You have to go through something in life in order to appreciate good things.’ As far as 2016, we expect bigger and better things from coach Strong and I think he will deliver.â€

GROWING CITY

Campbell noted how the city of Tyler keeps booming.

“I read everyday in the Tyler Morning Telegraph about how Tyler is growing,†Campbell said. “I am always proud of saying I am from Tyler.â€

SHOW ME THE MONEY

Leigh Steinberg, whose life was portrayed in the movie “Jerry Maguireâ€, represents Campbell and praised Campbell and former JT, Baylor and NFLer Gary Baxter for preparing for life after football.

Also, Steinberg, who was chairman of Save the Rams back in 1994 before the club moved to St. Louis, said he is elated his Rams are returning home to the Los Angeles area.

Steinberg lives in Newport Beach, California.

ANOTHER TRANSFER?

After Richard Solomon announced the first Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Scholarship winner Schuyler Wages, a Chapel Hill graduate who now plays volleyball and is a nursing major at LeTourneau University, emcee Ron Franklin took a little gig at the Texas A&M grad.

“I thought when Richard said he needed to make an announcement, I thought he was announcing another quarterback transfer from Texas A&M,†Franklin laughed.

http://www.etfinalscore.com/ET-Football/229787/tyler-rose-award-notebook-earl-expecting-big-things-from-greg-ward-jr

This is Charlie's third year so this is Charlie's team and these are his Coaches now. We have to win at least 7 in the regular season and must qualify and win a bowl game next year. If these team does not show significant progress next year in how they perform then we need to move on from Charlie. I am at the point that even if this team goes through a wave of injuries I will not want that to be used as an excuse for next season.  I just hope Charlie and the players take full advantage of this Off-Season to improve as I feel last off-season was a big waste. 

I wouldn't be opposed to Coach Strong getting some kind of contract guarantee through 5 years. It may solidify recruiting.  IT reports of Storng still needing to replaace RB & WR coaches depresses me.  IT had an article earlier this week about needing to make these moves but also an article that UT pays it's grad assistance guys peanuts compared to other Big 12 teams.  I can't believe I just yped that as fact.

UT needs to maintain the consistincy of staff, bring in a couple of grad assisants or whatever they are called to assist current position coaches to implement new offensive strategy. These two guys can implement the new O schemes and WR run patters while current RB and WR coches observe and learn.  WTF, Keep It Simple Stupid!

2010 5-7

2011 8-5

2012 9-4

2013  8-5

Frankly TEXAS' record in the 4 years prior to CFS were actually very good or in line with everything from 1971 forward till Mack arrived in 1998.

Of course if we expand that by 1 year we add

2009  12-1  #2 finish

2 years

2009 12-1  #2 Finish

2008 11-1 #3 finish