Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which QB is the fit for Gilbert's Offense?

RunRickyRun

1. You can't name a receiver Norvell has screwed up. By contrast, he's taken average and turned it into above average.

I'll counter by asking you to site an average WR he improved?   A Foreman did not improve over the course of the year . . . .nor did McNeil see the field much. . . frankly I'd argue Norvell hasn't done squat with our WRs.

I went back and looked, while he was at OU. . .he worked with 10 or 11 4/5 Star WRs . . .about 3 panned out but that's holding serve.  . .lots of busts.

Given that a WR coach could not install even a basic passing attack . . . .I'm really hoping he finds a job elsewhere.

I'll counter by asking you to site an average WR he improved?   A Foreman did not improve over the course of the year . . . .nor did McNeil see the field much. . . frankly I'd argue Norvell hasn't done squat with our WRs.

I went back and looked, while he was at OU. . .he worked with 10 or 11 4/5 Star WRs . . .about 3 panned out but that's holding serve.  . .lots of busts.

Given that a WR coach could not install even a basic passing attack . . . .I'm really hoping he finds a job elsewhere.

Norvell was a major cog in the best passing offenses in Oklahoma history – he coached three of the top four pass-catchers in OU history – and had a hand in a number of Big 12 championships and, yes, wins over Texas.

Norvell had his work cut out for him. Texas boasted FBS’s 90th-most productive passing offense the fall before Norvell got here and lost its top two pass-catchers (John Harris and Jaxon Shipley) to graduation. Rising senior Marcus Johnson was the Horns’ top returning wideout with all of 27 catches for 313 yards and one touchdown. No other returning wide receiver caught more than 10 passes that season.

Foreman just isn't very good. Our best WR was a freshman. A freshman.

McNeil was in Charlie's doghouse, so how you put that on Norvell is beyond me.

You're free to believe as you want, but to judge Norvell as a WR coach when he's charged with the entire offensive game plan and calling plays, I'd suggest you're being a bit harsh. 

Norvell was a major cog in the best passing offenses in Oklahoma history – he coached three of the top four pass-catchers in OU history – and had a hand in a number of Big 12 championships and, yes, wins over Texas.

You're free to believe as you want, but to judge Norvell as a WR coach when he's charged with the entire offensive game plan and calling plays, I'd suggest you're being a bit harsh. 

So let me see if I follow your "logic" . . . . . .as a WR coach, Norvell gets credit for the OU offense despite his failure to develop 8-10 4 star or higher WRs

But as an OC at TEXAS.  . .Norvell gets an "excuse" because you cannot point to a single WR that got better over the 2015 season?

PS, the man has coached WRs at both the college and NFL level for 20 years and the shit show of a passing scheme (one of the reasons Heard was so bad) we got last season doesn't fall fully in his lap?????

Is he a customer of yours?

I think Heard has some things to be a solid QB. Doesn't look like Watson developed either QB very well in two years. 

I don't blame him for Swoopes. . . .kid has been behind the power curve from Day 1 though love him in the 18 Wheeler role. . . 

Agree on Heard. .  .hoping Gilbert has some "QB whisperer" in him. .  .our best solution for 2016 is Heard or a grad transfer. . . . .I HOPE that Heard emerges as "da man" but will not be shocked if Shane or Merrick wins the job.

Jeff Howe says Heard went home to Denton for the break and worked out the whole time.  He contacted his old Guyer coaches to find some receivers.   He worked it every day, even using a gym to throw routes when the weather forced him inside.

Howe says he is "working on the route concepts synonymous with Baylor’s offense" to get ready for what Gilbert will install.  Heard is "motivated to prove himself" to Gilbert and likes where the offense is headed.

Howe's source -- "What they’re going to do fits Jerrod better than what Texas has been doing.  If Jerrod had gone to Baylor it would have been a lot of the same stuff he did at Guyer, just with faster tempo. Playing fast is when Jerrod is at his best and Texas is going to play fast. For real this time.

http://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-VIP-team-and-recruiting-notes-1616-42563027

So let me see if I follow your "logic" . . . . . .as a WR coach, Norvell gets credit for the OU offense despite his failure to develop 8-10 4 star or higher WRs

But as an OC at TEXAS.  . .Norvell gets an "excuse" because you cannot point to a single WR that got better over the 2015 season?

PS, the man has coached WRs at both the college and NFL level for 20 years and the shit show of a passing scheme (one of the reasons Heard was so bad) we got last season doesn't fall fully in his lap?????

LOL!  I had to laugh at this.  I think you both have good points, but I side with you e-cheese.

We simply have not had any good receivers for a while.  This, in no small part, caused our young QB's and our offense immense problems.

Hell, Jaxon Shipley even made Case McCoy look like a decent passer.

Neither Swoopes nor Heard had a go-to receiver, like Shipley, they could rely on. None.

Very simply, our receivers could not get separation in time (especially with our porous OL) for our QB's to find them.

Burt is trending towards being All Conference, but he is a field stretcher and not Mr. Reliable.

For Gilberts offense to work, someone has to be able to catch 5 - 15 yard passes with regularity.

Does anyone know of anyone on this team?

Also, I believe that Gilberts offense is tailor made for Mr. Jerrod Heard.  Hell, Tyrone Swoopes could excel in it, for that matter.

Buechele should red shirt and there can't be any argument about that without looking foolish.  The constant drumbeat of football ignorant fans to play freshmen at D-1 QB is tiring.  Especially when you don't have to - and we don't.

We have two battle tested QB's and two more that have already served a red shirt year.  We don't need no stinking freshman at QB.  Jesus Christ!

Friends, it's hard not to get excited about this years offense.  We have two All Americans in the OL, two potential All Conference RB's and a QB (Heard) that can run like a deer and will have two years of maturity under his belt.  I suspect our offense is going to be electric.

Now, our defense......?

Sorry, didn't see this.

Let me clear it up for you as you're terribly confused it seems. No, he's not a customer. Neither are you. Not sure what that matters.

What you're trying hard not to say is what I'm just going to keep putting out there – Norvell spent most of the season as an OC.

How many WR coaches out there had to spend most of their season as an OC?

Thats what I thought.

Sorry, didn't see this.

Let me clear it up for you as you're terribly confused it seems. No, he's not a customer. Neither are you. Not sure what that matters.

What you're trying hard not to say is what I'm just going to keep putting out there – Norvell spent most of the season as an OC.

How many WR coaches out there had to spend most of their season as an OC?

Thats what I thought.

Oh, e-cheese was just being snarky, Mark.  Don't be offended, it was actually kinda funny.

Nobody questions Norvell's credentials - well, maybe OU did.

What is questioned, besides Burt, is the almost complete lack of effectiveness of our receiving corps - regardless of his credentials.  I don't see how this can be argued.  Very simply, we stunk.

And our QB's and our offense paid the price for it.

Oh, e-cheese was just being snarky, Mark.  Don't be offended, it was actually kinda funny.

Nobody questions Norvell's credentials - well, maybe OU did.

What is questioned, besides Burt, is the almost complete lack of effectiveness of our receiving corps - regardless of his credentials.  I don't see how this can be argued.  Very simply, we stunk.

And our QB's and our offense paid the price for it.

I understand whats being questioned. And I think being a part-time WR coach might explain some of that. Nevertheless, he found John Burt, played him despite freshman status. The cupboard wasn't exactly busting, as my original post points out.

This might be the first time I've seen someone skip right over QB play, OL play and throw blame at the people who weren't involved in the offense much other than blocking. 

That's how it can be argued.

How many hit-in-the-chest passes did Daje drop this season. 10? 20? 1,345,654?

How many over the last few seasons? Good thing he isn't suiting up to win the QB job for Gilbert. Seems like the Horns can never get our super speed guys to make an impact in the offense. Monroe, Daje, whoever else. Usually the small dude who is inserted for the telegraphed speed sweep over the years. Maybe Gilbert can get Newsome moving next season.

This is a bold prediction.

Bold Predictions for Big 12 Football in 2016

3. Freshman Quarterback Shane Buechele Will Start For Texas

Realistically, it's possible Buechele will get a start sometime in September if Texas' quarterback situation remains problematic. But these are bold predictions, and there's no room for halfhearted statements.

Put simply, head coach Charlie Strong will go all-in on Buechele from Week 1 to revive the Longhorns offense.

Redshirt freshman Jerrod Heard is a gifted athlete and led the team with 139 rushing attempts. However, he hasn't developed as a passer to the extent Texas needs to create real balance on offense.

New offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert has been tasked with orchestrating a quick turnaround. At every position, jobs will be on the line. That will include quarterback. And you know Buechele is ready to compete.

Buechele will have the advantage of enrolling early and making his way through spring drills to get acclimated. While he may not win the starting quarterback job right away, it could be a different story by preseason camp.

Texas' coaching staff won't put Buechele in if he's not ready, but if he shows flashes in the passing game while Heard continues to develop, the urge to play him may be too much. Patience, at this point, is thin.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605497-bold-predictions-for-big-12-football-in-2016

But as an OC at TEXAS. . .Norvell gets an "excuse" because you cannot point to a single WR that got better over the 2015 season?

[Tweet = https://twitter.com/autulloaas/status/686672418635579398]

Since all the QB's learning a new offense, I could see Shane winning the starting job. The success of Jay Rosen at UCLA shows it can be done.

Freshman Shane Buechele likes his chances in Texas QB battle

The arranged marriage of Shane Buechele and Sterlin Gilbert started with a breakfast last month.

On the same weekend Gilbert agreed to become Texas' new offensive coordinator, Buechele was in Austin on his official visit. The Longhorns' quarterback commit was relieved to hear his future coach had finally been found. But he didn’t know the guy.

"I was a little impatient about what was going on with all the coaching stuff," Buechele admitted.

One morning meeting with Gilbert put him at ease. There aren’t many who know where exactly Texas is heading with its offensive renovation. Buechele does.

"He came and sat down next to me and we talked about what we’re going to be doing," Buechele said. "He told me some things. He said I’m going to like what he’s running."

The pairing of Gilbert and Buechele, an ESPN 300 standout from Arlington Lamar and the top-rated quarterback recruit in Texas, could go a long way toward determining the Longhorns' fate in 2016. Buechele arrives on campus and officially enters Texas' quarterback derby on Friday, and he likes his chances.

When it comes time to start teaching the new scheme, Jerrod Heard, Tyrone Swoopes and Kai Locksley all have just as much to learn as the rookie does. A new coach means a brand new outlook for each passer.

"I guess I am pretty excited going in and having the same slate as the other guys," Buechele said.

Buechele has done his research. He picked the brain of Tulsa quarterback Dane Evans and his dad, Damon Evans, who happens to coach at Arlington Lamar. He found Tulsa games on YouTube and watched closely to get a better sense of tendencies and route combinations.

"From what I’ve seen when I look up stuff, he does a lot of RPO [run-pass option] stuff. We did a lot of that at my high school," Buechele said. "It’s pretty similar. The tempo is the big thing. We’re gonna be going fast."

And Buechele is confident he can fit comfortably into that plan. Confident enough, at least, that he said no thank you when Ohio State, Notre Dame and Missouri all tried to pursue him last month. He committed to play for Shawn Watson -- who saw Colt McCoy traits and a real 'it' factor in Buechele’s game -- but he never doubted his pledge during the coordinator change.

Even committing to Texas in the first place required confidence, since Buechele is betraying his family’s longtime love of the rival Oklahoma Sooners. He is outnumbered 4-1 by his siblings on this front.

"I’m definitely going against the rules," he said. "When I committed, they were asking if I was for real."

CXGDRMhUAAANqFn.jpg

Folks were saying the same thing at the Elite 11 finals in Oregon this summer. Buechele never matched guys like Shea Patterson, Jacob Eason and K.J. Costello when it came to hype, but he came close to beating all of them for MVP honors.

Still, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound passer can’t help but feel like he’s flown under the national radar compared to his more popular peers.

"I don’t go to as many things as those guys," Buechele said. "I didn’t play on national TV this year like they did. I didn’t go to any of the All-American games. But that doesn’t matter when you get to college. It’s what you do in college, not what you did in high school.

"I wish I had a little more hype to my name, but that’s all fun. That has nothing to do with how you compete on the field. I know what I can do."

Buechele did hear that McCoy comparison an awful lot during his high school days. Same size. Same mentality. Same results? As he steps into Texas’ quarterback battle, that’s the goal.

"He’s a competitor. He’s a fighter. He helped make Texas one of the top programs in the nation," Buechele said. "Hopefully I can be like that and lead this program to something big."

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/108941/freshman-shane-buechele-likes-his-chances-in-texas-qb-battle