Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which QB is the fit for Gilbert's Offense?

RunRickyRun

Really interested to know which QB we have now and including the two we have committed for this year and next is the best for our new offense from what we have seen so far? Any chance one of our guys transfers because they don't fit into Gilbert's Offense?

On the Bottom Line Radio show, Chip Brown stated that Gilbert REALLY likes Heard and feels he can win with him

I think Gilbert will do some good things with Heard during the off season. I think we'll see a more confident and assertive QB next fall.

If Heard develop this way, it would take the pressure off of trying to bring in Shane Buechele as a true freshman. If they can shirt Buechele, they should.

If Heard just doesn't get his light turned on with the new offense, then I think you have to turn to Locksley and then Buechele if Locksley doesn't pan out.

Perfect world - you see Gilbert have success developing all of Heard, Locksley and Buechele. Three quality QBs is what you need these days.

Really interested to know which QB we have now and including the two we have committed for this year and next is the best for our new offense from what we have seen so far? Any chance one of our guys transfers because they don't fit into Gilbert's Offense?

I don't know the answer to either of your questions. 

But, IMHO, I believe that no QB currently on the roster has worked with an offensive coordinator/QB coach/play caller as good as Gilbert. In fact, I am of the opinion that the difference between Norvell/Watson and Gilbert is like night and day. 

I think Gilbert will do some good things with Heard during the off season. I think we'll see a more confident and assertive QB next fall.

If Heard develop this way, it would take the pressure off of trying to bring in Shane Buechele as a true freshman. If they can shirt Buechele, they should.

If Heard just doesn't get his light turned on with the new offense, then I think you have to turn to Locksley and then Buechele if Locksley doesn't pan out.

Perfect world - you see Gilbert have success developing all of Heard, Locksley and Buechele. Three quality QBs is what you need these days.

"I think Gilbert will do some good things with Heard during the off season. I think we'll see a more confident and assertive QB next fall."

This would not surprise me at all. 

Watson brought nothing to table as QB coach once David Ash got hurt he proved he could not coach mobile QB`s and had no interest in coaching mobile QB`s. running pro style passing drills in practice doesn`t help if not running pro style offense in games. Gilbert can teach scheme in practice that QB`s use on game day. do not be surprised if Swoopes shows improvement also because he really suffered under Watson not saying Tyrone will be starter but as backup he may be more than just 18 wheeler.

Ian Boyd (the Xs and Os guy) wrote a piece about this a few weeks ago

http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-options-at-qb/

In it, he addresses all the Texas QBs

Here is the most interesting part --

"Matthew Merrick:

The veer ‘n’ shoot was designed to unleash guys like Merrick. As a high school player Merrick flashed a lot of the tools that you love to see in a QB including arm strength, the ability to keep plays alive and make something happen if things broke down, and confidence to throw the ball. Sometimes he seemed to have too much confidence and threw a lot of picks trying to buy time and get the ball out under duress or trying to rely on his arm to beat coverage.

However, this offense’s spacing is designed to clear up the reads and minimize the risk by isolating the receivers, allowing them to run into open grass, getting the ball out quickly or else offering max protection, and eliminating the likelihood of a safety being in position to pick off an errant or tipped pass.

On his senior tape, Merrick showed the ability to make the kinds of reads and throws that are a big part of this offense as well as the ability to run and allow a little bit of QB run-game to be a part of the offense.

His two most encouraging abilities are how he reads stretch concepts and how well he leads receivers on deep routes, particularly “7†routes that are basically post routes that go out towards the sideline rather than inside. He’s also capable of throwing comeback routes with anticipation, which is likely to come in handy in Gilbert’s vertical pass concepts.

He has no hesitation when firing a throw into a narrow window, even when throwing something like a curl route to the field as he does at 2:32 on his film. The ability to punish a defense with deep lobs off play-action and with throws outside on isolated coverage are what can make this offense come alive. Merrick is probably the best man for the job currently on campus....."

....Edit note: Even during Vince's early years there were Horn fans who thought he should be moved to WR so.........

Better watch out for lightning today....

And Boyd puts the work in.  He bases his opinions off his own film study.  Which is more than most do.

Not saying he is correct.  No one can know this.  It's an unknowable unknown.  Only saying that he at least supports his opinion.

Heard, Buechele or Merrick, but we don't know how good the "system" is, or whether the forced hurry-up and kind of a lip service to a high-producing, efficient runing game will be good enough.  Is Norvell still going to be around to screw up the receivers?  Will Mattox be able to put together an offensive line anywhere close to Wickline's in terms of effectiveness?  Is Gilbert smart or calm or inwardly confident enough to run the show at a school like Texas (and to take the heat if and when there may be some frankly inevitable freaking failures, lol)?  Is he mature enough?  Experienced enough  (Harsin, Diaz and Muschamp certainly weren't, lol, and the vocal mob of the fanbase ate them up while doing long-lasting harm to the program and to the university in the process, lol)?  Are we going to see the coach who won two games total in his last two years as a high school head coach?  What are we going to see? lol.

Heard, Buechele or Merrick, but we don't know how good the "system" is, or whether the forced hurry-up and kind of a lip service to a high-producing, efficient runing game will be good enough.  Is Norvell still going to be around to screw up the receivers?  Will Mattox be able to put together an offensive line anywhere close to Wickline's in terms of effectiveness?  Is Gilbert smart or calm or inwardly confident enough to run the show at a school like Texas (and to take the heat if and when there may be some frankly inevitable freaking failures, lol)?  Is he mature enough?  Experienced enough  (Harsin, Diaz and Muschamp certainly weren't, lol, and the vocal mob of the fanbase ate them up while doing long-lasting harm to the program and to the university in the process, lol)?  Are we going to see the coach who won two games total in his last two years as a high school head coach?  What are we going to see? lol.

1. You can't name a receiver Norvell has screwed up. By contrast, he's taken average and turned it into above average.

2. You set a low bar if you're pointing to the words "Wickline's" and "effectiveness." Wickline's OL has been this team's stumbling block.

3. If Gilbert installs the offense at Tulsa which just set a record last week, I think we'll be pretty happy.

4. If HS ball is what we judge, then I'd love to read your 15 paragraphs about Traylor.

themoreithinkthemoreconfusediget.jpg

I haven't read/heard much on his progress but where's Locksley in this discussion?  Is he even in the QB mix anymore? 

I eagerly await the spring game.  I hope things will be a lot clearer after that.  Who will be in the mix or who will be looking at transferring or at a position change.