Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

texassports.com story on Appalachian State game

Texassports.com(Linky) has a good write up of last night's game against Appalachian State.

Ridley leads Men's Basketball past Appalachian State, 67-55

Senior center nearly records second triple-double in program history with 19 points, 11 rebounds and school-record 9 blocks.

by Sam Schelfhout, Texas Media Relations

"AUSTIN, Texas – Senior center Cameron Ridley nearly posted the second triple-double in program history with 19 points, 11 rebounds and a school single-game record nine blocks to lead the Longhorns past Appalachian State 67-55 at the Frank Erwin Center on Tuesday night. Ridley was just one block shy of joining Reggie Freeman in the school's triple-double club, as Freeman recorded 22 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists at TCU on Feb. 11, 1996.

Ridley's nine blocks topped the previous school record of eight, shared by Chris Owens (Nov. 15, 2000 vs. California) and Chris Mihm (Feb. 5, 2000 at Massachusetts). He scored 17 of his team-high 19 points in the second half and converted 9-of-17 field goals in 31 minutes played.

Senior guard Javan Felix added 14 points and became the 35th player in UT history to reach the 1,000 career point milestone. Junior guard Isaiah Taylor recorded 12 points and a team-high seven assists for the Longhorns (7-3).

Frank Eaves scored a game-high 20 points and added six rebounds and five assists for Appalachian State (2-7). The Mountaineers received a strong performance from their bench players, as they contributed 27 points in the team's loss.

Both teams started the first half slow, with Texas taking a 4-2 lead into the first media timeout at the 15:47 mark. Appalachian State surged to a 17-11 lead with 9:33 left in the first half, but the Longhorns would use a 17-3 run over the next 5:11 and closed the half with a 34-27 advantagel. The Texas defense held Appalachian State starters to 15-percent shooting from the field (3-of-20) and out-blocked the Mountaineers 8-1, including five swats from Ridley in the opening stanza.

Texas was able to build a 10-point lead (42-32) following a layup from Felix at the 16:54 mark, but the Mountaineers would not let down. Eaves scored the team's next 12 points, following 4-of-4 conversions from beyond the arc, and helped Appalachian State close the lead to 48-46 with 10:06 remaining. The Mountaineers finished the game shooting 60-percent (12-of-20) from 3-point land.

The Mountaineers tied the game at 48 with 9:29 left following a pair of free throws from Jacob Lawson. From there the Longhorns were able to pull away by holding the Mountaineers to a scoring drought over the next 7:54. Ridley took control and scored 11 points on a 15-0 Texas run to seal the victory.

The Texas defense was stellar, holding its opponent to 30-percent shooting from the floor (18-of-60) and outrebounding the Mountaineers, 50-38. The Longhorns were physical in the paint, bringing down 20 offensive rebounds and outscoring Appalachian State 36-6 in the paint. The Longhorns' 15 blocks also set a new school record for the most team blocks in a game.

The Longhorns will hit the road for their first true road game of the season and will take on the Stanford Cardinal on Saturday, Dec. 19. Tip is set for 10:30 p.m. Central at Maples Pavilion, and the game will be televised nationally on ESPN2.

Texas Basketball Postgame Notes

Texas 67, Appalachian State 55

December 15, 2015

Frank Erwin Center (Austin, Texas)

Attendance: 10,529

Team Notes

• Texas set a team single-game record for most blocked shots (15). The previous school record was 14, twice (14 vs. Kansas State on March 7, 2015; 14 at Kansas on Feb. 28, 2015).

• UT improved to 197-26 at the Erwin Center in the last 14 seasons (dating back to the start of the 2002-03 season). Texas is 6-0 at home this year.

• Texas posted a +12 rebound margin (50-38), including a 20-11 advantage in offensive rebounds.

• UT recorded a 36-6 advantage in points in the paint.

• Texas committed fewer than 10 turnovers (9) for the second straight contest. UT set a team season low for turnovers with 8 in Saturday's win against No. 3/3 North Carolina.

• The 1989-90 Texas Basketball team that advanced to the NCAA "Elite Eight" was honored during halftime.

Eric Davis, Jr.

• Set a season high in rebounds (6)

Javan Felix

• With his 3-pointer at the 4:04 mark of the first half, Felix became the 35th player in program history to record at least 1,000 career points. He now has 1,007 points in 109 career games played.

• Reached double figures in scoring (14 points) for the seventh time this year and 50th time in his career (109 games)

Prince Ibeh

• Set a season high in rebounds (8) and blocked shots (4) in 14 minutes of work.

Cameron Ridley

• Was just one block shot shy of becoming the second player in program history to record a triple-double (19 points, 11 rebounds, 9 blocks).

• Reggie Freeman (22 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists at TCU on Feb. 11, 1996) is the only Longhorn to have recorded a triple-double.

• Set a UT single-game record with 9 blocked shots. Previous mark was 8, shared by Chris Owens (8 vs. California on Nov. 15, 2000) and Chris Mihm (8 at Massachusetts on Feb. 5, 2000).

• Recorded his fourth double-double of the year and 17th of his career (112 games). Scored 17 of his 19 points in the second half.

• Reached double figures in scoring for the eighth time this season and 40th time in his career

• Reached double figures in rebounds (11) for the sixth time this season and 25th time in his career

Isaiah Taylor

• Reached double figures in scoring (12 points) for the seventh time this season and 51st time in his career (69 games)

Kendal Yancy

• Set a season high in scoring (7 points) in 14 minutes of action

Post Game Quotes

Texas Head Coach Shaka Smart

On the team's response to success and adversity: Just okay. It's human nature but you have to be better than human nature if you want to be a great team. The number one difference between Saturday and tonight is that Saturday we played almost completely for Texas, and tonight I think there were some other things that crept in. And again, that's human nature, so I get it. But if we want to be the best we can be, we have to all play for Texas. We have to clear our minds 1,000 percent for our process and our plan and our teammates and only focus on that. I don't think it was terrible, but it wasn't the same as North Carolina. In that game our guys decided, 'Wow, we better stick together and do this with each other and pull for each other and play for each other if we want to win.' And we won. Tonight, I don't think there was that strong of a collective decision. I think that's normal but if you want to be great, and if you want to do the things that we say we want to do, then you can't be normal. It's not normal to win a championship. That's why only one team does it in the whole league. It's not normal to do special things. Otherwise, it wouldn't be special. It would be normal.

On whether it finally clicked to the players that they needed to step up tonight:  No question. It clicked a couple of times in the game. We have very conscientious guys. They are good guys and they want to win. They want to please. There were a few different times out there when it clicked. The challenge is sustaining it over the course of several minutes. We didn't do a particularly good job of that.

On calling on Cameron Ridley a lot: Yes, why not? He's by far our best option on the offensive end right now. Short of the free throws, that's an area where he obviously has to get better, but outside of that he's been phenomenal. I thought the best play he had tonight was the one where he missed and then tipped it and tipped it again and it went in. That is what we call multiple efforts. Cam felt like coming into the season that he needed to get better with multiple efforts, and he still does, but he has really made progress. But that play right there, that was one that he wasn't making in October when practice started. He has gotten better.

On Ridley only getting better: He has definitely made some strides. Tonight, I thought between him and Prince [ibeh], they really saved us on a lot of possessions. Our perimeter guys should give them a big hug, because those guys saved the day multiple times. We just have to get better. We appreciate those blocks, but we can't depend on that all the time

Texas Senior Center Cam Ridley

On the one-handed alley-oop dunk from Isisah Taylor in the last minutes of the game: I don't feel like I jumped high enough. I think it was a really good pass to me. I didn't really expect it actually. I am glad he trusted me to throw that up there for me.

On consistently going to him in the last plays called in the game: Yeah for the most part. They stopped double teaming me in the second half, so it really freed me up and I was able to capitalize on that.

On being so close to a triple double tonight: They told me that when we went into the last TV timeout, and then the other team started shooting threes.

On considering yourself a shot blocker: I am in a better place physically to be able to block shots the way I am. It's been a part of my game since high school, so nothing has changed. But I feel better. I feel more bouncier this year. I am more athletic than I was in the past.

Texas Senior Guard Javan Felix

On continuously giving Cameron Ridley the ball: We noticed it and then Coach did a really good job calling the plays in the second half. Like Cam said, they stopped double teaming him because they realized in the first half that they left us open for shots. Cam did a really good job passing the ball from the post. They stopped that, and then Cam just took over the game.

On the performance in the first half: I don't think we came out at our full potential in the first half. That's just something that is unacceptable. The things that are of sheer effort, we didn't do in the first half. We picked it up a little in the second half, but we know that we didn't do our best tonight.

On reaching the 1,000-point career mark tonight: To be honest, I never even thought about it. It never once crossed my mind until a few weeks ago when I knew that I was 40 points away. It never crossed my mind before I got here, or even when I was here until recently. 

Appalachian State Head Coach Jim Fox

Opening Statement: Congratulations to Texas, obviously a very good basketball team. I thought they really dictated defensively, and they really had us on our heels for most of the game. Obviously [Cameron] Ridley's ability to block shots really bothered our shot selection. We settled for too many jumpers. We didn't really have our attack that we normally do. I think [Ridley] really wore us out at the end. They kept going to him, and we defended him well for about 35 minutes and then the last couple of minutes he really took over. Congratulations to [Texas], and we're looking forward to going home and playing Saturday.

On if he was surprised the game was close: No. We're not the same team that our record indicates. We've played a very challenging schedule. I thought our game plan was one that would give us a chance to win. So I was not at all surprised that the game was close.

On if his players were hesitant playing against the Longhorn defense: No doubt. That's a credit to [Texas]. Our game, we get to the foul line and we go inside out. We made 18 field goals, and 12 of them were threes, and that's a credit obviously to that defense. At the beginning of the game, we had great looks and were able to get to the rim, and we missed them. They're Division I basketball players, so they can make lay-ups. I think, in their heads, a lot of our young guys really rushed their shots. Again, that's a credit to their ability to defend and their size."