Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sterlin Gilbert turns down Texas (or not?) UPDATED

Mike Roach

According to multiple reports Sterlin Gilbert has declined to take the position of Offensive Coordinator at Texas.  Our sources indicated from both the Texas and Tulsa side that there was an agreement but there were still details to iron out.  It looks like the two sides couldn't come to terms today and it most likely centered around compensation.  Gilbert was reportedly offered half of what Texas offered to Sonny Cumbie.  Put this together with a report from Anwar Richardson of Orangebloods that Cumbie declined the job because the AD could not give him definitive answers on Charlie Strong's future and it looks like a colossal mess inside the Texas AD.  We will bring you more details when we have them.

===========================================

UPDATE: I don't know how to describe this search other than a 3 ring circus but as reported by multiple outlets, Charlie Strong and Jeff Traylor are on a plane with UT President Greg Fenves to Tulsa to close the deal.  From the way things have gone I can't even tell you what to expect so we will do our work and tell you what we hear.

This is getting beyond ridicolous now, if your not gonna give your full support for Coach Strong then just fire him as much as i hate saying that

I was about to say the same thing. I really think he should have one more year, but the situation has become a toxic dumpster fire. No one is coming until Charlie is fired. They're not willing to take the chance under the parameters the administration has put in place and is willing to agree to. This is absurd.

I'll say this. And all of you know about the level of support I've shown Strong. But if this happened because he refuses to boot Watson from his staff, he needs to go. Clearly, IF that is the case, he needs to go now. Go money-whip Herman.

If this is the administration failing to give Strong competitive offers, then shame on our freaking administration. I can't even make myself go see what other teams boards are saying about us right now. Lion and sheep be damned. This is embarrassing.

I'll say this. And all of you know about the level of support I've shown Strong. But if this happened because he refuses to boot Watson from his staff, he needs to go. Clearly, IF that is the case, he needs to go now. Go money-whip Herman.

If this is the administration failing to give Strong competitive offers, then shame on our freaking administration. I can't even make myself go see what other teams boards are saying about us right now. Lion and sheep be damned. This is embarrassing.

No one has reported that.

This isn't on the AD. What AD in their right mind would tell a potential OC that Charlie's job is safe for several more years after watching the last 2 seasons. Nobody can make guarantees like that. 2 years of guaranteed money is the best they could do. I understand it.

Who's next?????

Then the AD should fire Charlie.  Its their fault if they're not willing to make the decision.  You either support him and expect success or you don't.  if you don't - fire him.

People are going to blame Strong - but this is the Admin.  if they want Strong gone, just fire him.

Burn it to the ground.

The admin, f##ked this up.  The admin and AD say Charlie needs our support then turn around and F@#K him royally.  

This is bullshit.  

Embarrassing for the entire University on a national scale.