Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Raulerson transferring

I have never read one thing his dad has said.  Honestly I couldnt care less.  I have coached youth leagues so I know the type.  I just ignored them.  

I used to think highly of Wickline until he started walking off the field before the Eyes of Texas.  

There was more than just one OL that either left the program or transfered under Wickline.  

Wick's own players at OSU supposedly hated Wickline.  

Our OL talent wasnt great and Wickline did a decent job, but I wont be sad to see him go.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Starts by saying this is the first thread that he has ever "started" on OB and that his post was approved by Jake.   -In 2015 Jake weighed 302 lbs. Was plenty strong compared to his peers.   -Pra

If there's a way for our new O-Line coach, Mattox, to convince Raulerson to stay, we should do it.   This O-Line needs all the quality depth it can get. Jake will get a clean slate and opportunity w

Please make this happen! Would love for this kid to stick around with a new opportunity.

I have a lot of trouble believing Charlie Strong would rather suffer consecutive losing seasons and put his job in jeopardy than to allow the best players on the field. That just doesn't make sense.

If the coaches are purposely not playing good players and racking up losing season after losing season as a result, how can anyone support Charlie Strong in any way, shape or fashion?

The argument that Wickling purposely sabotaged the team's season because he had a personal issue with Jake Raulerson and Charlie Strong was willing to rack up a losing season rather than deal with a rogue assistant coach is a bit hard to believe.

Don't think for a minute that there are not coaches who let their egos get in the way and cloud their judgment. It happens.

I know of a high school basketball coach who literally tried to run a kid out of his program during that kid's sophomore year. A kid that now holds the school record for 3 pointers in a game. 

Jake's dad just wrote a "Clearing the Air" post over on OB's a few minutes. 

Based on what I read in that thread, as well as the original thread over there about him transferring, Jake's dad is not a helicopter dad or a cancer or is poisonous to Texas like some have said. 

Read that as well.  Very well-written piece.  Jake's a good kid.  

Knowing his dad, he doesn't strike me as the type who would do what he's been accused of doing. He's just didn't come across to me as the type to do that. He didn't care for some of the things in the Mack regime but spoke very respectfully of Mack and staff in my talks with him.

What dominated our conversations were the deficiencies that his son had and was working to overcome, such as putting on quality weight while maintaining his speed/quickness. Things like that. He was very complimentary of other OL players.

Cliff notes?

-Starts by saying this is the first thread that he has ever "started" on OB and that his post was approved by Jake.

-In 2015 Jake weighed 302 lbs. Was plenty strong compared to his peers.

-Practicing against the likes of Malcolm, Hassan, Tank, and Poona every day made him a better player.

-When he did not get to play he asked his coach why and was given reasons that he promptly rectified.

-When he still did not get to play he asked CS. Instead of telling him that he was not ready, he told Jake that he was a hard worker, was practicing great and would get some game time next week.

-This happened 5 weeks in a row starting in week 2 or 3 so he quit asking.

-Jake played only 15 plays THIS season. Graded out the 2nd highest for the season for all OL positions in all games.

-Jake started 5 games LAST season. Graded out higher than the starter did in any game THIS season.

-Jake did what he needed to do in the classroom to allow him to become a "free agent".

-Jake didn't have any confidence that his coach had his back, so he took a chance and made himself available to other teams.

-Immediately upon his release, received several significant opportunities from the likes of UCLA, Michigan, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas.

-During these recruiting conversations, Jake made sure that these coaches understood what brought him to this decision.

-In each case the coach said that they had made calls and were satisfied that Jake had acted appropriately.

-In one instance, the coach said that he was offering Jake based upon his 2014 game film. That although he recognized that Jake was young and in need of more mass, the film showed a high degree of technique and athleticism.

-Jake loves Texas, his teammates and Charlie Strong. Said that you can love someone and not be able to live with them.

-At the end of the day, it was just a business decision.

Prime example of why i cant stand the player personnel decisions made on gameday. We saw countless times that Coach Strong's staff went with the senior even though they clearly were not the best player we had at that position.

He better quit that shit or he wont be here the following year.

Prime example of why i cant stand the player personnel decisions made on gameday. We saw countless times that Coach Strong's staff went with the senior even though they clearly were not the best player we had at that position.

He better quit that shit or he wont be here the following year.

I think Doyle starting in front of Jake was all Wickline's doing. Don't agree with it at all but that's what it was IMO.

I always liked Jake and was shocked he didn't play more this year, and I'm very disappointed in Wickline. I hope that Jake gives Charlie and Mattox a chance to talk to his family because it would be best for him to stay. He knows the campus, it's close to home, and if Charlie says he will get a fair chance, he will.

In the final analysis, though, Jake must do what is best for him.

It is becoming apparent that Wickline was a problem for us. Maybe Mattox will improve things.

There is something about how this came down that suggests the Strong has a problem giving direction to his assistants. He had better get it fixed.

Amen. Either a problem giving directions or not knowing what directions to give. He better get it fixed.

Mr. Cherry, I have wondered if Wickline is such an antisocial type that he would have just stormed off with no one to coach the line. It seems that I recall Traylor having o-line experience, but I can't think of anyone else. I think Charlie was between a rock and a hard place.

Those things happen sometimes. I know. It happened to me this year, despite the best of planning. You just have to do your best, with a good attitude, prayer, and a good support network.

I have a book called Mental Toughness Training for Life. It was written by the same person who wrote Mental Toughness Training for Sports and uses many of the same principles. An Olympian, who is a friend of mine told me that the sports edition utilizes many of the same ideas that their sports psychologist used. They have both been helpful during some difficult stretches over the years. It's all about a positive attitude, doing good things for your body, mind, and spirit, and cultivating a constructive work ethic.

How does that relate to Charlie? I think he lives his life that way, and he just happens to be a great football coach, as well as an honest man with all of the integrity in the world. By the way, I love the most recent offensive hires, Gilbert and Mattox. Looks like Traylor is staying, too.

Hook 'em!

Mr. Cherry, I have wondered if Wickline is such an antisocial type that he would have just stormed off with no one to coach the line. It seems that I recall Traylor having o-line experience, but I can't think of anyone else. I think Charlie was between a rock and a hard place.

Those things happen sometimes. I know. It happened to me this year, despite the best of planning. You just have to do your best, with a good attitude, prayer, and a good support network.

I have a book called Mental Toughness Training for Life. It was written by the same person who wrote Mental Toughness Training for Sports and uses many of the same principles. An Olympian, who is a friend of mine told me that the sports edition utilizes many of the same ideas that their sports psychologist used. They have both been helpful during some difficult stretches over the years. It's all about a positive attitude, doing good things for your body, mind, and spirit, and cultivating a constructive work ethic.

How does that relate to Charlie? I think he lives his life that way, and he just happens to be a great football coach, as well as an honest man with all of the integrity in the world. By the way, I love the most recent offensive hires, Gilbert and Mattox. Looks like Traylor is staying, too.

Hook 'em!

Java, I hope that your take on this is correct.  I have a hard time imagining, as some people have intimated, that Coach did not know how to handle the situation with Wickline, or just was not interested in handling it.  This just does not pass the smell test to me.  Because of the challenges he has faced, Coach has taken a little longer to get where he is than most.  Smells to me that he was forced into just getting through an untenable situation until he could get to where he COULD handle it.  With the Watson situation, on the other hand, it seem to me that his loyalty to one of those who "brung him" colored his vision.  Whatever the case may be, obviously, Coach is the one who ultimately has to bear the responsibility for what has happened and for fixing it.  Looks to me that these two last hires are long strides in the right direction.

By the way, Java, I hope you are continuing to do well each and every day ... rest assured that there a lot of us here whose thoughts are with you ... and also with those that you mentioned in an earlier post who humble us by reminding us that some folks exhibit a lot of grace by living through situations more difficult than most of us have had to deal with.

Thank you, Bud, I'm doing very well. This past Friday I completed the 12th treatment. Four left, but different drug, so it's every two weeks. I'm sure that it will go well, too. Heck, I have students to teach after the break and some wonderful people pulling for me.

Thank you for asking. I really appreciate it.

Bud, you are so right about some people having to deal with difficult situations. I had follow-ups with 2 of my doctors today. The first told me that I was the first patient that day who was doing well, and the doc was so relieved, he was practically dancing when he walked in to discuss my blood test results. Each day I feel incredibly blessed.

The people you see and talk to at MDA are incredibly inspiring, for the most part, and their staff is the most supportive and well-trained that I have ever been around. It is an amazing place.