Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GILBERT AND TEXAS

MBHORNSFAN

I don't understand the concern about the uncertainty of Charlie Strong's future and how that uncertainty might affect our ability to hire an OC. With the mess we have on our hands at present, I can't imagine than any OC would be willing to take the Texas job without haveing a GUARANTEED 3 year deal. And I strongly suspect that's what we're offering. 

Therefore, if your new hire has a 3 year contract guaranteed with compensation at 1 mill per year, and Charlie leaves at the end of the next year and the new guy gets fired with him...he walks away with his guaranteed $3 million for one year's work. Alternatively, if a new coach comes on board and wants to keep him...he get to keep on working for 1 mill per year.

Either scenario isn't bad. I don't see the problem.

I don't understand the concern about the uncertainty of Charlie Strong's future and how that uncertainty might affect our ability to hire an OC. With the mess we have on our hands at present, I can't imagine than any OC would be willing to take the Texas job without haveing a GUARANTEED 3 year deal. And I strongly suspect that's what we're offering. 

Therefore, if your new hire has a 3 year contract guaranteed with compensation at 1 mill per year, and Charlie leaves at the end of the next year and the new guy gets fired with him...he walks away with his guaranteed $3 million for one year's work. Alternatively, if a new coach comes on board and wants to keep him...he get to keep on working for 1 mill per year.

Either scenario isn't bad. I don't see the problem.

We are only going to offer 2 years as we did with Cumbie, and if next year Gilbert and the Longhorns have a sub par performance then some of the shine could quickly fade.  I agree under normal circumstances Texas is the easy choice but how many of us on this board believe that next year we will have 7 or 8 wins which I think Charlie will need to keep his job for 2017.  If Gilbert is the OC we all think he is and keeps the Tulsa offense productive then he will have more job opportunities that might be more stable. That is my only point as I think any OC that comes onto the Longhorn staff now basically knows this is going to be a one year gig with a 2 year payment! 

...how many of us on this board believe that next year we will have 7 or 8 wins which I think Charlie will need to keep his job for 2017.

I do! I actually think we'll win 8 or 9 and our bowl game.  As atrocious as we are at times this year, if the ball bounces our way, we win 3 more games (Cal, OSU, and Tech). That puts us at 8 wins this year.  8-10 wins next year is not a stretch. As much as some have fussed about our defense, they played well considering how much they were on the field due to an inept offense.  An improved offense will produce an even better defense.  The O-line improved during the course of the year and the core of that line returns (addition by subtraction).  I think we'll look very good next year. CFS isn't going anywhere...HOOK 'EM \\m//

Cal, OSU , and Tech will be away games so not so sure on those wins, OU will be better prepared an not over look us, and Baylor will probably have a healthy QB the next go round. I do think we take Iowa but not ND.

Cal loses the player that carried their team all year. OSU doesn't like playing us when they're at home. We should best Tech next year with an improved offense. OU is always a toss up and they don't really get significantly better next year. We won't slip to ISU again. ND will be a very spirited game with us wanting revenge on our turf and Baylor will be a tough contest as usual.

So---if all we're willing to offer is a 2 year deal...then all the "Charlie's been given a blank check" to hire the next guy.....is nothing but pure bull sh**..I suppose the term blank check means one thing to one person and something else to another. But people need to quit using the phrase when they're doing nothing but talking out their ass while trying to spend somebody else's money.

I don't know jack shit.

But I suspect that Cumbie simply saw his future being better tied to Patterson rather than Charlie.

Married, small kid, another kid on the way - its a lot to consider when thinking about making a move.  TCU was comfortable.  Low-risk.  He's probably got a job at TCU as long as Patterson is there - and Patterson isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I imagine TCU gave Cumbie a pretty substantial raise and a promise that when Meachem leaves next year Cumbie will be promoted to the sole OC.

Good for him.

Married, small kid, another kid on the way - its a lot to consider when thinking about making a move.  TCU was comfortable.  Low-risk.  He's probably got a job at TCU as long as Patterson is there - and Patterson isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I imagine TCU gave Cumbie a pretty substantial raise and a promise that when Meachem leaves next year Cumbie will be promoted to the sole OC.

Good for him.

It was actually the new set of steak knives that did it.

Damned Ginsu

Married, small kid, another kid on the way - its a lot to consider when thinking about making a move. TCU was comfortable. Low-risk. He's probably got a job at TCU as long as Patterson is there - and Patterson isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Good for him.

All good points and exactly what I am saying. Just in a more bloviating way. 😉

3:30 Per Burton

Nothing new to report the last few hours.
Franklin unlikely to get position
There may be chance Strong does a "reboot" on the oc hiring process and just wait to try to find the right fit during the dead period.

Guess things didn't go as well with Sterlin as was reported.   Or the possibility of Strong doing a reboot is just a 'possibility' as it gives Bobby an update to sell?

Guess things didn't go as well with Sterlin as was reported. Or the possibility of Strong doing a reboot is just a 'possibility' as it gives Bobby an update to sell?

Things went Fine fellas - I just been too busy laughin at all money Cumbie passed up and almost forgot to sign the Contract.

I'm here to Save Charlie's Ass

Hook EM!