Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

North Texas Golfer

Breaking News: Sterlin Gilbert Interviewed This Morning for OC Position

From what I've read, it sounds like the one true advantage Cumbie had over Gilbert was recruiting. Just hire some recruiting rainmakers to fill out the staff and I'm good to go.

I agree. And thanks to those who responded to my post earlier. I've liked his style of offense and history of play-calling when I started reviewing that stuff a few weeks back. But recruiting was an unknown for me. You solve that by hitting home runs at the position coach level.

Now Anwar Richardson on OB's is saying that he learned that there might possibly be a 3rd candidate.

Higdon already reported that there were two other candidates (aside from Cumbie) one of whom hasn't been mentioned yet.  Might be that Charlie interviews one more before offering it.

FWIW - Higdon says that one of the sticking points is that Texas was unwilling to offer a third year guaranteed to Cumbie.  Thats despite being the 'hot candidate' there were concerns about his lack of play-calling and they weren't willing to break with tradition of two year deals for assistants to hire Cumbie.

FWIW - Higdon says that one of the sticking points is that Texas was unwilling to offer a third year guaranteed to Cumbie. Thats despite being the 'hot candidate' there were concerns about his lack of play-calling and they weren't willing to break with tradition of two year deals for assistants to hire Cumbie.

Yea...I saw that. And like you said in an earlier post

"Moving on"

Higdon already reported that there were two other candidates (aside from Cumbie) one of whom hasn't been mentioned yet. Might be that Charlie interviews one more before offering it.

A couple days ago, Chip mentioned that the 3rd candidate was actually promoting Traylor and surround him with top tier position coaches/recruiters

Not sure if that is what or who Anwar is hinting at tho

A couple days ago, Chip mentioned that the 3rd candidate was actually promoting Traylor and surround him with top tier position coaches/recruiters

Not sure if that is what or who Anwar is hinting at tho

Honestly, I'm not opposed to this. Traylor is fresh to the collegiate level but he knows how to run an offense. Let him go grab a staff. Could you imagine our recruiting of Traylor went out and grabbed the cream of the crop of Texas HS coaches?

Saw on another board that Rhett Lashley, OC at Auburn, might be interviewed as well.

He was one of the names mentioned when all of this first started getting talked about.  He certainly runs the type of offense Charlie wants.

Its funny - Auburn fans will be the first to tell you that Malzahn runs that offense - but they're calling for Lashlee's head because of the offensive issues this season.

Honestly, I'm not opposed to this. Traylor is fresh to the collegiate level but he knows how to run an offense. Let him go grab a staff. Could you imagine our recruiting of Traylor went out and grabbed the cream of the crop of Texas HS coaches?

I like Traylor also.  I don't buy into the idea that a coach has to have a lot of college experience to be successful at the college level.  If I'm not mistaken Mike Shannahan (sp) had almost no experience before he was coaching in the pros.  Give Traylor the same benefits offered to Cumbie and Traylor is probably a hoss.

Andrew King --

If Gilbert receives the OC job at Texas, I’d expect him to bring Tulsa OL coach Matt Maddox with him as OL coach. Maddox was with Gilbert as a graduate assistant at Houston when both Art Briles was there and was the Co-OC with Gilbert under Dino Babers at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green.  Maddox seems to be Gilbert’s right hand man and has some great experience working for some coaching from Briles and Baber’s coaching tree.