Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Royal 60

Our DC should be Fired before Midnight

Your need to rise the bar --- their is a reason we have 85 on the team. I'm not happy w/ FIVE wins. Totally High School adjustments !!

First off - we don't have 85 scholarship. Secondly - we came into this game with significant injuries on the defense and ended it with 7 freshmen playing in the back end.

We did what we had to to win the game. They held Baylor to 17 and forced a team that normally runs at hyper speed to grind out yard after yard after yard.

And they won.

Just simply embarrassing ---No Excuses --l have seen better adjustments in a High School game !!!

When you're lacking Ridgeway, Jinkens, and a Predator, as well as having Jefferson relegated to limited action, then bad things are gonna happen with your run defense. That's not an excuse, it's a reality. Add to that losing Hall and Duke in the 4th, then you're seeing freshmen at all seven backer positions. That's a train wreck waiting to happen.

And it almost did were it not for a miracle strip by Poona Ford.

Ricky Williams explained after the game that it may have appeared as though Bailor was running the same plays from the "wildcat" over and over, but they were actually alternating between Iso's, Counters, and Traps which was confusing the young guys.

You have to consider if he had stacked the box and put our freshmen corners on an island one on one and IF they got beat over the top then.........EVERYONE would have formed a lynch mob for Charlies and Vances head.   

Prevent conservative defenses suck but knowing our luck if had stacked the line we would have been beaten by some lucky pass.   Just our luck.  

We won, take it, enjoy it.  In the end, the win counts not how we won.  Ask OSU referee crew.

PS  If Briles wants to make excuses about Hawthorne not being ready then tough shit, maybe get him some snaps during the week idiot.  

PS  If Briles wants to make excuses about Hawthorne not being ready then tough shit, maybe get him some snaps during the week idiot.

Aint that the truth! I really believe that Strong wasn't going to let Heard see the field unless Swoopes got hurt. Swoopes did, so Heard went in until Swoopes was ready to go back in.

Dare we say Strong out coached Briles? Is that even a remote possibility?

Aint that the truth! I really believe that Strong wasn't going to let Heard see the field unless Swoopes got hurt. Swoopes did, so Heard went in until Swoopes was ready to go back in.

Yes. I'd say he did yesterday.

I was seriously pissed off when I saw Heard come into the game and went 3 and out in 2 series.  

Charlie did say pregame and after the game he was going to play both regardless so I am not sure.  Swoopes was limping but you should stick with the QB that is moving the ball.  Heard was awful when he went in anyways.  I am going to believe the injury is why Heard went in for those 2 series when he did.

I have been accused in the past of hating Swoopes.  I just want the best possible player/coach in place to help the team win, regardless of who it is.  It obvious Swoopes was the better QB this game.  GJ to the kid.  

Swoopes seems twice as fast this year compared to last year.

You have to consider if he had stacked the box and put our freshmen corners on an island one on one and IF they got beat over the top then.........EVERYONE would have formed a lynch mob for Charlies and Vances head.   

Prevent conservative defenses suck but knowing our luck if had stacked the line we would have been beaten by some lucky pass.   Just our luck.  

We won, take it, enjoy it.  In the end, the win counts not how we won.  Ask OSU referee crew.

PS  If Briles wants to make excuses about Hawthorne not being ready then tough shit, maybe get him some snaps during the week idiot.  

So much THIS ^^^.  I was yelling at the TV, too.  But in retrospect, we kept the ball away from the talented Baylor WRs for the most part and held them to 17 while time ticked away on the clock.  Good thing since our offense resorted to inefficiency mode pretty much after the first quarter.  We couldn't afford to take chances with quick points from Baylor.

It was the right call.  We won most of the jump balls to the Baylor receivers, but had there been more of them, the odds were not in our extremely young (especially in the fourth quarter) secondary's favor. 

It was a win that no one other than my sooner half brother predicted.  I'll be damed if I complain about its being ugly.

For anyone who's coached at any level, kiddie soccer, baseball and on up, we've all had to deal with crazy parents. You'd like to think when the kids get college age, that would stop. Apparently not. I loved the way Warren III responded after the game, saying basically my dad is bat-shit crazy and doesn't speak for me.

The game overall was pretty much a bunch of youngsters in white playing a bunch of older men in black.

Horns took a pounding during the second half. At one time, had five freshmen in the secondary.

Not only that - but we had 5 freshmen in the secondary and 2 freshmen at LB.  Our back 7 was all freshmen!

Let's be realistic here, folks. 

Baylor was down to playing a WR at QB.  Was passing over the top really a big concern?  Hell, was any kind of passing a big concern?

At halftime, Baylor made the intelligent decision to just run it down our throats.  What else could they do?

I've seen some posters stating that we had 7 secondary kids that were freshmen.  Why were we playing 7 kids in the secondary in the first place?  Were we terrified of the mighty passing game of Baylor?  Besides, were the kids that DID play secondary not taught how to play the position - even in high school?  We are at the end of the season, were these same kids told, all year, not to bother coming to practice because we aren't going to coach you?

The statement was also made, "Well, if you stack the box, what happens if they break through?".  That's the idea of stacking the box - so they won't break through.  Besides, what if they did break through - we were 4-7.  Like losing another damned game was going to make some kind of difference in our season.

Besides, I haven't seen this team, even with starters, slow anybody down all year - maybe OU.  The excuse has always been that our offense was so bad that the defense never had time to rest.  There may be some truth to this, but how about a good defense, KNOWING our offense was so bad, giving the ball back to them as many times as possible?

Instead, what I saw was a defense that was at the bottom of the nation in allowing 3rd down conversions.  And a defense that has given up an avg. of 36 points per game.

WHY WERE WE STILL PLAYING 3-4 DOWN LINEMEN WHEN WE KNEW THEY WERE JUST GOING TO RUN IT UP OUR GUT?  Did we really believe that allowing Baylors RB's free reign to run in our secondary was a good strategy?  Jesus Christ!

So, no, Bedford has run plumb out of excuses, IMO.

I love that we beat Baylor and there really is not such thing as an ugly win.  But it's disconcerting that a UT defense was bullied like it was - by a team that was NO passing threat.

Baylor was down to playing a WR at QB.  Was passing over the top really a big concern?  Hell, was any kind of passing a big concern?

At halftime, Baylor made the intelligent decision to just run it down our throats.  What else could they do?

I've seen some posters stating that we had 7 secondary kids that were freshmen.  Why were we playing 7 kids in the secondary in the first place?  Were we terrified of the mighty passing game of Baylor?  Besides, were the kids that DID play secondary not taught how to play the position - even in high school?  We are at the end of the season, were these same kids told, all year, not to bother coming to practice because we aren't going to coach you?

The statement was also made, "Well, if you stack the box, what happens if they break through?".  That's the idea of stacking the box - so they won't break through.  Besides, what if they did break through - we were 4-7.  Like losing another damned game was going to make some kind of difference in our season.

Besides, I haven't seen this team, with starters, slow anybody down all year - maybe OU.  The excuse has always been that our offense was so bad that the defense never had time to rest.  There may be some truth to this, but how about a good defense, KNOWING our offense was so bad, giving the ball back to them as many times as possible?

Instead, what I saw was a defense that was at the bottom of the nation in allowing 3rd down conversions.  And a defense that has given up an avg. of 36 points per game.

WHY WERE WE STILL PLAYING 3-4 DOWN LINEMEN WHEN WE KNEW THEY WERE JUST GOING TO RUN IT UP OUR GUT?  Did we really believe that allowing Baylors RB's free reign to run in our secondary was a good strategy?  Jesus Christ!

I love that we beat Baylor and there really is not such thing as an ugly win.  But it's disconcerting that a UT defense was bullied like it was - by a team that was NO passing threat.

I get what you are saying doc.  There were times I felt the same way during the game.  Baylor did try a few trick plays with laterals and then attempted to pass down field.  A few of them never developed but you could see they were looking down field for the pass.  As I mentioned earlier with Hawthorne at the helm if was unlikely to complete an over the top pass but knowing our luck this year I wouldnt doubt it.

I dont blame the coaches for playing conservative.  I didnt like it at the time, but it was the safe route to protect the lead.

Besides, I haven't seen this team, with starters, slow anybody down all year - maybe OU.  The excuse has always been that our offense was so bad that the defense never had time to rest.  There may be some truth to this, but how about a good defense, KNOWING our offense was so bad, giving the ball back to them as many times as possible?

We weren't playing 7 kids in the secondary - we were playing 7 freshmen in the back 7 DB & LB's.  We had missed assignments all over the field, and as Ricky correctly pointed out after the game Baylor was confusing the hell out of our young guys by running Counters, ISO's, and Traps out of the same formation in the wild cat.  I don't think Bedford wanted to walk everyone closer to the line and allow their very talented RB (and do everything WR) a chance to change the game on one play.  One missed assignment and its their RB/WR one on one in the open field with a freshman FS.

If we're 4-7 and it doesn't matter if we have another loss, then whats the point of stacking the box?  Bedford played the defense he played because he wasn't going to allow any big plays - either through the air or on the ground.  The Baylor offense lives off of big plays, Bedford decided to play his version of the Cover 3/Tampa 3 and was going to make Baylor methodically work their way down the field and grind for yard after yard.  It took Baylor all of the third quarter to score those 10 points.

The defense did its job - its the offense that everyone should be bitching about.

We weren't playing 7 kids in the secondary - we were playing 7 freshmen in the back 7 DB & LB's.  We had missed assignments all over the field, and as Ricky correctly pointed out after the game Baylor was confusing the hell out of our young guys by running Counters, ISO's, and Traps out of the same formation in the wild cat.  I don't think Bedford wanted to walk everyone closer to the line and allow their very talented RB (and do everything WR) a chance to change the game on one play.  One missed assignment and its their RB/WR one on one in the open field with a freshman FS.

If we're 4-7 and it doesn't matter if we have another loss, then whats the point of stacking the box?  Bedford played the defense he played because he wasn't going to allow any big plays - either through the air or on the ground.  The Baylor offense lives off of big plays, Bedford decided to play his version of the Cover 3/Tampa 3 and was going to make Baylor methodically work their way down the field and grind for yard after yard.  It took Baylor all of the third quarter to score those 10 points.

The defense did its job - its the offense that everyone should be bitching about.

Agree. Three points scored in the 2nd half was pathetic.