Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

247 REPORTING

MBHORNSFAN

Right

Next year, the excuse will be "it takes time to implement a new offensive system". Bookmark this

Truth.

I remember people saying Watson has done a marvelous job with Swoopes.  

Some suggested his struggles were growing pains because he was young.

Some said he needs 2 more years as a true Sophomore.  

It always baffled me, as to why some people think a Texas QB needs 3-4 years to develop when other schools are pretty much plug and play.  

I liken this to the perfect excuse.  You cant really argue a young QB does not need time but then Baylor, Tech, OSU, and TCU don't really have this problem.

You have been nothing but negative about the direction of the program this last year. The entire time i thought you were just trying to get a rise out of us. I now have to take a step back and acknowledge that you were right about how bad we were going to be and that you probably are right about next year. Funny thing is i didnt agree with you last year and i cant beleive its going to happen  next year. God i hope you are right though.

LOL!  I have to believe you are being sarcastic.  No one that knows me will say I am a negative person and I certainly wasn't last year.

If you aren't being sarcastic then you have me confused with someone else.

Right

Next year, the excuse will be "it takes time to implement a new offensive system". Bookmark this

I'm very set in my position that I think Strong deserves another year, especially with a new offensive coordinator. I'm probably more adamant in that stance than just about anyone on this board as I truly believe better days are ahead. However, I'll say right now that if this isn't a winning team next year, then we'll need to move on. If they don't win at least 7-8 regular season games, I'll be done.

Right

Ha, ha!  Methinks you have an agenda and you won't, by God, be swayed from it.  Without knowing, I'm betting you are a Strong hater?

You were the one that threw up TCU as a straw man and now that facts have shot that down, you want to go on a different track? :)

C'mon, J.B., you are a terrific poster on here - don't let your frustration overcome your usual good sense.

I'm not happy with the way the program has gone either and Strong may very well have to go, but I believe he gets his 3rd year to prove what he has done is right.

I think Strong is a great recruiter but an abysmal judge of coaches.  This is his Achilles heel, IMO.

I'm very set in my position that I think Strong deserves another year, especially with a new offensive coordinator. I'm probably more adamant in that stance than just about anyone on this board as I truly believe better days are ahead. However, I'll say right now that if this isn't a winning team next year, then we'll need to move on. If they don't win at least 7-8 regular season games, I'll be done.

I'm gonna hold you to that.

Look, I know that we're 7 points away from being 7-4; Cal, OSU, Tech. It's the Iowa State debacle that did it for me. Well-coached teams don't get shut out by them anywhere. Sorry

Look, I know that we're 7 points away from being 7-4; Cal, OSU, Tech. It's the Iowa State debacle that did it for me. Well-coached teams don't get shut out by them anywhere. Sorry

I would like to argue your contention here...but I've got nothing.

I truly believe better days are ahead. 

When you are at the bottom, the only way is up.  Unless of course we end up 3-9 next year.  Hard to imagine considering we play Kansas every year.  

Yes Charlie needs a better Offensive staff, I am sure most agree.  I cant help but believe that we would have been .500 or better if Charlie hadn't lived in fantasy land thinking our offense was going to improve or had improved through entire off season under Watson after 2014.  We have seen it all year, how or why he couldn't is just scary.

This causes many alums to have doubts in his decision making or offensive know how.   

C'mon man...

Why is it considered to be a hater when we want our beloved horns to do better than 4-8 and not get blown out by Iowa State?

Charlie said it himself.  "Texas shouldnt lose more than 6 games a year, and it wont happen again" - 2014.   

Dammit if shit happens!   SOS to date is 3rd.  This team was never going to be more than a 6 or 7 win team this year. 

I guess some would have still been on the fence had they lost to ISU 24-10.

Please do. And I don't disagree with you. The Iowa State game was hard to swallow. It was the first game I've turned off in a really long time. You couldn't ask me to provide an excuse for that game because there is none.

But I also recognize, just as you suggested, how close this team really was to a winning season. The OSU game was stolen from Texas. The officiating in that game legitimately cost Texas a win over one of the best teams in our conference. The Cal game was lost in the most asinine fashion and that hangs on our kicker, regardless of how nice Norvell decided to be about it.

Now if you have a team that rebounded from a devastating loss to ND go 3-1, do you think they lose to TCU by 43? I don't. And it's all assumption so it doesn't really matter, but I truly think Texas competes (underline and bold that) with TCU in that game. You're looking at a potential 4-2 or 5-1 start to the season with our only loss coming from a team bound for the playoffs. You think that team lays an egg against Iowa State?

Again, this is all conjecture and it means nothing. It's ifs, ands and buts. BUT IF Rose makes that simple kick against CAL AND the officials don't hose us against OSU, we're not having this discussion right now. Nobody would be calling for Strong's job. We'd be talking about progress and very likely, a winning season after just one year.

A bad crew and terrible kicker shifted this entire season. And that sucks but it is what it is.

When you are at the bottom, the only way is up. Unless of course we end up 3-9 next year. Hard to imagine considering we play Kansas every year.

Yes Charlie needs a better Offensive staff, I am sure most agree. I cant help but believe that we would have been .500 or better if Charlie hadn't lived in fantasy land thinking our offense was going to improve or had improved through entire off season under Watson after 2014. We have seen it all year, how or why he couldn't is just scary.

This causes many alums to have doubts in his decision making or offensive know how.

I think those doubts and concerns are fair. This season didn't go how any of us had hoped. I've already said it but I think it's worth another post.

Watson absolutely claimed that we'd be rolling out a new offense this year. That's partially why Strong hired Norvell and Traylor who both have experience with uptempo spread offenses. Going by what the players said after the ND game this year, Watson did not call the offensive gameplan in that game that the team had been practicing. That's why he was immediately demoted and a coach who had experience with that offense was given the responsibility. Watson more or less lied and it has hurt Strong's reputation. Which is why I think Strong gets this next hire right and truly goes after an offensive style this team needs. Because Strong had faith in a friend and that friend burned him. This hire won't be about giving a former associate a chance, it will be about getting a coach who can help Strong retain his job.

Since this is the '247 Reporting' thread:

247 is reporting that if Cumbie turns down Texas and decides to stay at TCU that Strong's next call will be to Tulsa OC (Co-OC) Sterlin Gilbert.

This is great news.  Gilbert has been a part of great offenses at EIU, Bowling Green, and now at Tulsa.  He's a former Texas HS coach and has recruited the area.   Gilbert is a QB coach and coached Jimmy Garapolo during his time at EIU.

Coincidentally Gilbert's Co-OC at Bowling Green and now Tulsa is an OL coach by trade.

Ha, ha!  Methinks you have an agenda and you won't, by God, be swayed from it.  Without knowing, I'm betting you are a Strong hater?

You were the one that threw up TCU as a straw man and now that facts have shot that down, you want to go on a different track? :)

C'mon, J.B., you are a terrific poster on here - don't let your frustration overcome your usual good sense.

I'm not happy with the way the program has gone either and Strong may very well have to go, but I believe he gets his 3rd year to prove what he has done is right.

I think Strong is a great recruiter but an abysmal judge of coaches.  This is his Achilles heel, IMO.

I'm not a Strong "hater", Doc, but I haven't seen enough progress this year to be excited about the future. We're +20.5 dogs to Baylor with their 3rd string QB under center.  Did you ever imagine that you'd live to see that embarrassment? I didn't.

Agree that he's been a poor judge of assistant coaches, but I'm not convinced that he's a "great recruiter". Our Top 10 class in 2015 took a big hit with the losses of Cherry, G. Johnson, and Clarington. Look at this year's rankings (not that I'm a big believer in these).

How do you feel about Koening and Chambers being fired in year one and the way it sounds Wickline, Watson, and Robinson being out in year two?

Watson more or less lied and it's hurt Strong's reputation. Which is why I think Strong gets this next hire right and truly goes after an offensive style this team needs. Because Strong had faith in a friend and that friend burned him. This hire won't be about giving a former associate a chance, it will be about getting a coach who can help Strong retain his job.

I get it Blake.  Its true Watson did lie to Strong and has him in trouble.  We all agree on this.  The concern for many, including me, is why didnt Charlie see this in the Spring or leading up the ND game.  Charlie saw the product on the field in the off season.  Maybe it was too late at that point, who knows.  

and yes I do believe we would have had a better season than 4-8 and maybe even a +.500 year if we had competent OC.

Now if you have a team that rebounded from a devastating loss to ND go 3-1, do you think they lose to TCU by 43? I don't. And it's all assumption so it doesn't really matter, but I truly think Texas competes (underline and bold that) with TCU in that game.

UT should never lose to TCU - or anybody else for that matter - by 43 f'n points!  I live in Tarrant County and officiate HS ball with a bunch of Horny Toad bandwagon fans. Do you know how much shit I've had to eat after that game? They're almost worse than aggy.

Why was the team so woefully unprepared and unmotivated in Ft. Worth? Yeah, it still pisses me off when I think about it.

Since this is the '247 Reporting' thread:

247 is reporting that if Cumbie turns down Texas and decides to stay at TCU that Strong's next call will be to Tulsa OC (Co-OC) Sterlin Gilbert.

This is great news.  Gilbert has been a part of great offenses at EIU, Bowling Green, and now at Tulsa.  He's a former Texas HS coach and has recruited the area.   Gilbert is a QB coach and coached Jimmy Garapolo during his time at EIU.

Coincidentally Gilbert's Co-OC at Bowling Green and now Tulsa is an OL coach by trade.

I know everyone is thinking and saying Cumbie is the #1 target but I'm starting to wonder if that isn't a smoke screen and maybe Gilbert or someone else is really gonna be Charlie's target.

How do you feel about Koening and Chambers being fired in year one and the way it sounds Wickline, Watson, and Robinson being out in year two?

I don't know that I can answer this fairly MB. Mostly because I was never really that much of a fan of Koenning in the first place. And Chambers, well, I think most people were in agreement that we needed a change of pace.

Which is precisely why we let them both go. Koenning was replaced by Norvell who assisted in crafting some of the best offenses in the Big XII over the years. Chambers was replaced by Traylor who was revered at the High School level for his offenses and he's been a massive upgrade over Chambers in regards to recruiting. Traylor also gave Charlie an "in" with Texas HS coaches, something he was heavily criticized for last year.

But ultimately, I've always felt it better to cut off a limb than a head. Any coach deserves three years to do their thing. Let them at least get one group of upper classmen on the field before deciding that their plan isn't working.

I get it Blake. Its true Watson did lie to Strong and has him in trouble. We all agree on this. The concern for many, including me, is why didnt Charlie see this in the Spring or leading up the ND game. Charlie saw the product on the field. Maybe it was too late at that point, who knows.

and yes I do believe we would have had a better season than 4-8 and maybe even a +.500 year if we had competent OC.

That's my point though. If Watson called a different game than the team practiced, then Charlie saw changes to the offense and was then blindsided on game day. The players and many insiders have all stated that they practiced a different offense. That would have been the offense that Charlie saw all spring and summer. Watsons decision that day was a serious betrayal of trust.

UT should never lose to TCU - or anybody else for that matter - by 43 f'n points! I live in Tarrant County and officiate HS ball with a bunch of Horny Toad bandwagon fans. Do you know how much shit I've had to eat after that game? They're almost worse than aggy.

Why was the team so woefully unprepared and unmotivated in Ft. Worth? Yeah, it still pisses me off when I think about it.

I don't disagree. And I understand your frustration as I was a Tarramt county resident prior to moving North. Still, you didn't really answer my question. Do you think a Texas team that should have been riding on the momentum of a three game winning streak would have played that poorly against TCU? Texas would have just beaten two teams that nobody was claiming they could beat. That would have been some serious confidence, momentum and desperation. Instead, our group (no excuse) was living two weeks of having huge wins stripped away from them before heading into face one of their toughest opponents of the year.

I don't disagree. And I understand your frustration as I was a Tarramt county resident prior to moving North. Still, you didn't really answer my question. Do you think a Texas team that should have been riding on the momentum of a three game winning streak would have played that poorly against TCU? Texas would have just beaten two teams that nobody was claiming they could beat. That would have been some serious confidence, momentum and desperation. Instead, our group (no excuse) was living two weeks of having huge wins stripped away from them before heading into face one of their toughest opponents of the year.

Maybe not. Hell, I don't know what motivates UT football players these days!

But - if your premise is "winning builds confidence" - why did they lay in egg in Ames after inspiring wins against OU and K-State? Why didn't we build on the momentum from those two wins? Just being the devil's advocate here. 

Maybe not. Hell, I don't know what motivates UT football players these days!

But - if your premise is "winning builds confidence" - why did they lay in egg in Ames after inspiring wins against OU and K-State? Why didn't we build on the momentum from those two wins? Just being the devil's advocate here.

Fair question. Like I said earlier, I can't come up with an excuse for ISU. I'm still perplexed all this time later. I hate to think that our players walked into that game thinking it was already one but I imagine that was probably the case. That's on the players and the staff.

I know everyone is thinking and saying Cumbie is the #1 target but I'm starting to wonder if that isn't a smoke screen and maybe Gilbert or someone else is really gonna be Charlie's target.

I'm hoping for Gilbert but would take either one in a heartbeat. 

And, yes, don't think for a minute that all the Cumbie stuff couldn't be a smokescreen. I have no doubt that the story about Texas being interested in Cumbie was leaked on purpose.  

you're not the only one with this same opinion.  i feel the same way.  strong needs to get his people in the leadership positions.

Swoopes' score total is not indicative of improvement, unless you consider William "The Fridge" Perry to be an equal improvement. Same concept, Swoopes is just lighter. Unfortunately, our offense has to be able to function before it gets to the red zone. That is where Swoopes has not improved.

Strangest spin I've read, but underscores my contention that you won't cut him an iota of slack.  He was not the starting QB this year, but if you can't see how he has improved over last year it's because you don't want to see it.  Especially with his running.  Swoopes contribution to the team has been fantastic.  That, my friend, is improvement.

Doc, he's not even used like a QB when they pull the 18-wheeler package. He's a FB taking a snap, period. That is not improvement and it's not depriving him of "slack." Your contention is that he's a better QB this year. My response to you is – no, he's not. He's a good role playing FB taking snaps.

I equate it with Blake Bell. Probably could have been a very good offensive guard.

Blake Bell wasn't never even close to achieving Swoopes accomplishments this year.

Can you list Swoopes' accomplishments this year?

I am in no way convinced we have an answer at QB. I like Heard, have pimped him my fair share in the past. But I'm concerned with his style vs injury and ability to minimize that.

Yet, you were among those that clamored for him to start last year.  Not withstanding that, do you deny that Heard has outstanding athletic ability?  If you think he does, why write the youngster off by doubting him now?  You think he has hit a ceiling and cannot improve?  I know you are smarter than that.

All this being said I agree with your concern of him lasting through a season.  I have my doubts on that as well.  Last year, playing behind that turnstile line, he would have been killed.  That's why I said he should have hugged Swoopes every game that Tyrone survived to play again.

Yes, I was and don't mind saying so. I'd do the same all over again and by looking at this year's performance, I'd be right again.

I haven't written Heard off. I have repeatedly stated that his style of play vs his nimble frame worry me about his ability to stay healthy. Heard is only good if he's playing. Yes, I am indeed smarter than that. You simply misunderstood what I have said, though I've said it repeatedly.

One of the reasons I am so intrigued with the Trinity Valley QB is because of his size (6'4, 230 lbs) which can absorb more punishment in that style of offense than Heard will be able to.

I don't disagree with your other assessments. But it all stars and ends with the QB.

Technically it starts and ends with the center, but that's just nit picking.  But, in reality, it starts and ends with the QB - assuming he has adequate blocking and good receivers.  Without that he is just a guy standing there with the ball in his hands, hoping he doesn't get killed.

I don't know. Colt McCoy made a living running for his life. lol

I don't know that I can answer this fairly MB. Mostly because I was never really that much of a fan of Koenning in the first place. And Chambers, well, I think most people were in agreement that we needed a change of pace.

Which is precisely why we let them both go. Koenning was replaced by Norvell who assisted in crafting some of the best offenses in the Big XII over the years. Chambers was replaced by Traylor who was revered at the High School level for his offenses and he's been a massive upgrade over Chambers in regards to recruiting. Traylor also gave Charlie an "in" with Texas HS coaches, something he was heavily criticized for last year.

But ultimately, I've always felt it better to cut off a limb than a head. Any coach deserves three years to do their thing. Let them at least get one group of upper classmen on the field before deciding that their plan isn't working.

That's my point though. If Watson called a different game than the team practiced, then Charlie saw changes to the offense and was then blindsided on game day. The players and many insiders have all stated that they practiced a different offense. That would have been the offense that Charlie saw all spring and summer. Watsons decision that day was a serious betrayal of trust.

Blake that is fair but don't the assistant coaches deserve the same thing that you want for Strong? More time? better players? 

I'm not a Strong "hater", Doc, but I haven't seen enough progress this year to be excited about the future. We're +20.5 dogs to Baylor with their 3rd string QB under center.  Did you ever imagine that you'd live to see that embarrassment? I didn't.

Agree that he's been a poor judge of assistant coaches and I'm not convinced that he's a "great recruiter". Our Top 10 class in 2015 took a big hit with the losses of Cherry, G. Johnson, and Clarington. Look at these years rankings (not that I'm a big believer in these).

Well, perhaps "hater" was a bit too rhetorical.  But it is clumsy to use "disliker" or "not fond of". :)

I'll put it a different way.  I bet you are one of those that wants to see Strong fired?  How's that?

You and I agree on two things.  The TTU loss was inexcusable - at least the way we lost.  And being a 3 TD dog to Baylor, for gods sake, is just as inexcusable.

We will need to see (and I think we will) a monumental change in my beloved Longhorns next year.

As for last years recruiting class I will emphatically disagree with you about the quality of it and Strongs ability to evaluate and recruit.

Of course a class cannot be fully evaluated until it has run its course through college.  But who in the Big 12 had a better one?