Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sonny Cumbie and Texas

Aaron Carrara

Now how big of a hire is this if he doesn't even call plays for TCU? 

Its a risk but then again Watson didnt call plays...oh wait..nvm

Im 100% more optimistic with Cumbie than with Watson's offense.

Hope it works out well.

The perfect storm (or shit storm depending on your view) is hitting Austin right now. With Perrin extended by 2 years thru 2018, and Cumbie coming on board with a reported 3 year deal, UT is trying to build stability into the football program. The byproduct of all this, is that Charlie will be around through at least 2017, and beyond. IMO these moves indicate that the administration is totally behind Charlie and will provide him with all the necessary resources to allow him to succeed.  If by the end of his 5 year contract, he has not elevated the program to elite status again, he will be dismissed. 

Trying to bring stability to the program does not mean they have gone away from a winning culture. If we do not have stability, it will only mean that the national media will say Texas gets rid of people quick. Yes, we are all pissed about not winning,but it does not mean that we should get rid of Strong. If he doesn't improve this year, then we can discuss getting rid of him.

I spoke with a what I would classify as a really good source on the TCU side of things about Sonnie Cumbie and Texas.

As you know Cumbie's name is one being thrown around in conjunction with the OC position at Texas.  Texas has the capacity and resources to, at a minimum, have the ear of just about anyone they want to when it comes to coaching vacancies. 

While things can certainly change at any time - and money can make folks think twice about certain things, this source told me that Sonny Cumbie has no interest in the position. 

Aaron, have you spoken with your TCU source in the past 24 hours? And if you have, what is he saying now?

The perfect storm (or shit storm depending on your view) is hitting Austin right now. With Perrin extended by 2 years thru 2018, and Cumbie coming on board with a reported 3 year deal, UT is trying to build stability into the football program. The byproduct of all this, is that Charlie will be around through at least 2017, and beyond. IMO these moves indicate that the administration is totally behind Charlie and will provide him with all the necessary resources to allow him to succeed.  If by the end of his 5 year contract, he has not elevated the program to elite status again, he will be dismissed. 

I disagree. 2017 is not guaranteed at this point.  

1. What resources has he not had the past 2 years to not succeed?

I am still perplexed that the reasons to bring Strong back do not apply to the assistant coaches that are going to be fired and the reasons being given to fire these coaches is not being applied to Strong. 

It doesn't matter if he ever elevates the program to elite status again. Bottom line, if they won't fire Charlie after a 4-8 season, they won't ever fire him. 

I am still perplexed that the reasons to bring Strong back do not apply to the assistant coaches that are going to be fired and the reasons being given to fire these coaches is not being applied to Strong. 

there was an article about strong being handcuffed by patterson.  so when you don't have the full support of your boss, i would say that qualifies to not having the resources needed to succeed.

It doesn't matter if he ever elevates the program to elite status again. Bottom line, if they won't fire Charlie after a 4-8 season, they won't ever fire him. 

It is really time to come to grips that we are not a blue blood program and winning is not important. It is really sad that aggy cares more about winning than we do. Now they have not done jack but at least their administration has a pulse and seems to care.

Ok funny how things progress.

Hes fired at the end of season or he just walks away ---> He has til next year to get things right  --->  He now has another 2 years to get this right.

And the only thing that has changed is it is believed Cumbie is going to be the OC and he is getting a 3 year guaranteed contract.   

So now we are giving Strong another 2 years, because an OC wants a 3 year guaranteed contract?  

If Charlie comes in with a less than .500 record next year he is probably gone at the end of next year and rightfully so.

it has basically gone from wait til next year baby we gonna smoke em all.  Now its wait 2 more years we gonna bring it.  LOL

Now how big of a hire is this if he doesn't even call plays for TCU?

Big. Being a coordinator is about more than calling plays. And simply because he wasn't the play caller doesn't mean he didn't have a hand in drawing up schemes. He assisted in putting together one of the best passing attacks in college football with Tech and now he's done the same with TCU. Name him and Traylor Co-OC's with Cumbie being the play caller and you have a nasty combination. Nobody states off calling plays, you have to reach that point. Cumbie has reached that point.

Big. Being a coordinator is about more than calling plays. And simply because he wasn't the play caller doesn't mean he didn't have a hand in drawing up schemes. He assisted in putting together one of the best passing attacks in college football with Tech and now he's done the same with TCU. Name him and Traylor Co-OC's with Cumbie being the play caller and you have a nasty combination. Nobody states off calling plays, you have to reach that point. Cumbie has reached that point.

Cumbie and Traylor.  Agree.

Ok funny how things progress.

Hes fired at the end of season or he just walks away ---> He has til next year to get things right  --->  He now has another 2 years to get this right.

And the only thing that has changed is it is believed Cumbie is going to be the OC and he is getting a 3 year guaranteed contract.   

So now we are giving Strong another 2 years, because an OC wants a 3 year guaranteed contract?  

If Charlie comes in with a less than .500 record next year he is probably gone at the end of next year and rightfully so.

it has basically gone from wait til next year baby we gonna smoke em all.  Now its wait 2 more years we gonna bring it.  LOL

Next year is a free year. If the record is not good, there is already a built-in excuse that we need to give a new OC time to put in a new system. The only way that Charlie doesn't get a 4th year is if next year is worse than this year. Anything better than this year, even if it is only 5-7, will be good enough to get a 4th year. 

If it doesn't happen this year, the chances of getting Herman become very slim. 

Why are you perplexed? This is how any business works. Management gets to shuffle their staff around before getting booted.

I mean that's kind of ludicrous. If he continues to lose games, he'll lose his job. Simply because they're not firing him in year 2 after a bad record doesn't mean they won't ever let him go.

It is really time to come to grips that we are not a blue blood program and winning is not important. It is really sad that aggy cares more about winning than we do. Now they have not done jack but at least their administration has a pulse and seems to care.

That is silly. Simply because they're not doing what you think they should do, doesn't mean they don't place an importance on winning.

there was an article about strong being handcuffed by patterson.  so when you don't have the full support of your boss, i would say that qualifies to not having the resources needed to succeed.

Nothing more than more excuses for Charlie's performance/record. Nothing Patterson did affected the on-field performance of this team. 

according to the article, he didn't allow him to get the OC that he wanted.  so i would disagree with your statement.

if you are referring to Morris, that is true.  It was a 5 million buyout which is kind of insane for an OC.

Dont get me wrong I would love to have Morris.  

Not sure what you are saying, in what aspects is aggy doing that much better or different than we are that you are so worried about when even you acknowledge that they still have not done JACK SHIT in terms of winning meaningful games. 

By us not firing Charlie Strong after this year make you think winning is not important to us? You can't just fire people non-stop and have such volatile turnover and expect sustained success. Change takes time, oh you of little patience.