Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sonny Cumbie and Texas

• Administrators

I spoke with a what I would classify as a really good source on the TCU side of things about Sonnie Cumbie and Texas.

As you know Cumbie's name is one being thrown around in conjunction with the OC position at Texas.  Texas has the capacity and resources to, at a minimum, have the ear of just about anyone they want to when it comes to coaching vacancies. 

While things can certainly change at any time - and money can make folks think twice about certain things, this source told me that Sonny Cumbie has no interest in the position. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MBHORNSFAN, NTG, DMAC...   Is there any scenario that includes Charlie Strong coaching the Longhorns next year that doesn't piss you off?  Assistant coaches get fired and you get pissed, they don't

What I've heard this evening . . . Cumbie has been contacted and talks have been held by "feelers" but nothing is eminent as of yet.   Looks like we're going to get Clint Hurtt as I was told UT is g

The longer this goes, the dumber the internet gets.

I spoke with a what I would classify as a really good source on the TCU side of things about Sonnie Cumbie and Texas.

As you know Cumbie's name is one being thrown around in conjunction with the OC position at Texas.  Texas has the capacity and resources to, at a minimum, have the ear of just about anyone they want to when it comes to coaching vacancies. 

While things can certainly change at any time - and money can make folks think twice about certain things, this source told me that Sonny Cumbie has no interest in the position. 

Would seem odd to zero in on a guy that has no interest in the position.  Generally you'd gauge that before you make any sort of real effort to investigate and hire.

I'm guessing a few people got out over their skies on Cumbie?  Maybe Lashlee is the target, or one of the 'Briles guys' like Gilbert?

Cumbie shouldn't leave if he likes the qb situation at TCU. On the other hand, if Kenny Trill, Wooten from San Angelo and the King kid from Manvel are all projects at best, it might be time to look around.

That being said, does Texas offer him anything better than what he has?

Also, i would demand a multi-year, guaranteed contract if I were going to be OC at Texas. Another poor year and the head coach (and everybody else) could be gone.

Cumbie shouldn't leave if he likes the qb situation at TCU. On the other hand, if Kenny Trill, Wooten from San Angelo and the King kid from Manvel are all projects at best, it might be time to look around.

That being said, does Texas offer him anything better than what he has?

Also, i would demand a multi-year, guaranteed contract if I were going to be OC at Texas. Another poor year and the head coach (and everybody else) could be gone.

I thought it was generally accepted (and someone reported that the Admin had greenlighted it) that any OC offered would have a guaranteed multi-year contract.

• Administrators

From a financial standpoint I would think Cumbie has to listen if Texas is willing to shell out serious cash.  Before leaving for TCU he made $210K a year at Texas Tech as co-Offensive Coordinator (2013).  Haven't been able to find exact salary numbers on Cumbie since he's been at TCU but the guess is he makes somewhere around $275K.

Shawn Watson's base salary at Texas is $650K.   

A multi-year contract and increase of $400K/year along with incentives and heavy bonus cash would make a lot of people listen.

I don't think the Sonny Cumbie news is credible. I just don't think Texas goes talking to TCU's OC, in an official capacity, prior to the end of the season (bowl game). Look at what that does to TCU's bowl prep.

Either way, he's not coming. But it's not because he turned down Texas, IMO.

If Texas reached out to Cumbie, it was back channels and by non-UT affiliated people and we'd probably not know about it. At least not from AR.

I don't think the Sonny Cumbie news is credible. I just don't think Texas goes talking to TCU's OC, in an official capacity, prior to the end of the season (bowl game). Look at what that does to TCU's bowl prep.

Either way, he's not coming. But it's not because he turned down Texas, IMO.

If Texas reached out to Cumbie, it was back channels and by non-UT affiliated people and we'd probably not know about it. At least not from AR.

Meh - Head coaches and coordinators leave before bowl games all the time.  Look at Fuentes to V Tech and the Toledo coach to Iowa St.  I think Texas is going to have an OC hired in the moments after the Baylor game.  Texas needs the narrative to be about the new coach and the new offense as soon as possible - they can't spend weeks letting people talk about the shitty season and the protracted OC search.

From a financial standpoint I would think Cumbie has to listen if Texas is willing to shell out serious cash.  Before leaving for TCU he made $210K a year at Texas Tech as co-Offensive Coordinator (2013).  Haven't been able to find exact salary numbers on Cumbie since he's been at TCU but the guess is he makes somewhere around $275K.

Shawn Watson's base salary at Texas is $650K.   

A multi-year contract and increase of $400K/year along with incentives and heavy bonus cash would make a lot of people listen.

Hey, if Cumbie is married, then he is going to listen if Texas offers him a lot more money than he is currently making  ;)

Meh - Head coaches and coordinators leave before bowl games all the time.  Look at Fuentes to V Tech and the Toledo coach to Iowa St.  I think Texas is going to have an OC hired in the moments after the Baylor game.  Texas needs the narrative to be about the new coach and the new offense as soon as possible - they can't spend weeks letting people talk about the shitty season and the protracted OC search.

The Toledo coach was an HC, not an OC.

Either way, we're not Toledo.

Interested that we are targeting someone who has never called plays before. 

Because the list of spread OC's on successful offenses calling their own plays is pretty short.  Now restrict it to guys with some sort of connection to the state.  Is there anyone left?  If there is - that guy is waiting for a HC gig or is already taking one (see Meacham).

The Toledo coach was an HC, not an OC.

Either way, we're not Toledo.

Of course not - we're the guys hiring them away.  Fuentes is a HC as well.  Of course OC's, DC's, etc get hired away before bowl games.  This isn't unusual. 

Hell, TCU hired away Meacham from Houston before Houston played their bowl game in 2013.