Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tom Herman is getting Paid

Donald Boyles

LOL, tell me he hasn't been talking with Texas. Looks like word got out down in Houston.

I think UH makes this move regardless of whether he talks to Texas or not because they already know that other schools are looking at him I.e. South Carolina. I don't think UH made this move because Hermann was "talking to someone", rather because they knew that other schools are going to/already really want him. Though, admittedly, just my opinion.

I think they gave him 3 mill because that's pretty much the going rate for successful coaches these days. In other words, that's what he would be offered by any number of schools that might be interested. Furthermore, even if Texas was interested, a 3 million dollar deal at a highly secure and relatively low pressure job might make him think long and hard about leaving (for a job like Texas). Texas is high reward, but also...very high risk. 

It's no wonder that Charlie forced Texas into a 25 million guaranty to persuade him to leave the safety of Louisville. The way it's turned out, I got to say Charlie didn't just fall off the turnip truck before signing off on his deal. He had the foresight to see the possible catastrophic consequences of leaving Louisville for UT..  And probably the same could be said about Herman. I doubt he'd leave U of H to go to Texas for anything less than a 20 mill guaranty.  If Strong leaves, it's going to cost a sh** load of guaranteed money to persuade another top of the line coach to come in and right the ship. 

Both of those previous posts are plausible reasons, I would agree. Seems like $3 mil is on the high side for Houston. Would be nothing for Texas to double that.

I'm not sure I understand the catastrophic consequences of leaving L'ville for Texas. Texas is a destination job. Landing this job tells a coach he's had a very successful career. And it's a job that provides him with more resources and advantages than any other in the nation. So what were the consequences and why, when offered the job, would disaster be a consideration? Mack Brown was here a nice long time and had steady success (until the last 2-3 years). Not doubting you as you always make good sense, just trying to follow.

Furthermore, even if Texas was interested, a 3 million dollar deal at a highly secure and relatively low pressure job might make him think long and hard about leaving (for a job like Texas). Texas is high reward, but also...very high risk. 

You are assuming Herman would prefer a HC job with:

1. Lower expectations
  2. Lower stress
  3. Lower pay
  4. Lower exposure nationally
  5. Smaller recruiting base
  6. Smaller chance to compete for a NC

While I understand the guarantee argument considering Texas has higher expectations, there is an old saying "To win big you have to bet big". 

BTW Herman doesnt strike me as a guy that is uncomfortable in front of the cameras.

LOL, tell me he hasn't been talking with Texas. Looks like word got out down in Houston.

It has no legs....

U of H wants to be in a better conference, this is their best shot at keeping a coach they think can get them there.  It's a solid start, but nothing the big boys can't cover. 

UH raising Herman's salary to $3MM is a no-brainer. Yeah, that's big $ for them but he's added at least that much value in 2015 with the Coogs performance.

Maybe Herman is a loyal guy and appreciates UH for giving him his big break? Not everybody is Todd Graham. He may not be in a hurry to jump ship for a middling opportunity in the SEC - Mizzou or South Carolina. He can hold out a couple more years for his dream job, Texas, or hope that OU successfully lobbies UH into the Big12. He can be their Gary Patterson or Art Briles. 

Tilman J. Fertitta, UH Board of Regents Chairman on Houston sports radio this morning talking about Hermann and pay raise said that Coaches Strong and Sumlin, with bonuses, make upwards of $6M per year. He said that if a Texas or a USC want to come get Tom Hermann and can pay his buyout, well then they're going to come get him and that's just how life works. The pay raise is because they want him to be one of the highest paid coaches in Texas, they wanna show their appreciation and commitment to him, and they don't want him to settle for a job like Missouri, Maryland, Minnesota, South Carolina, etc over UH. They want him to be the coach that sees UH into a Power 5 conference in the near (hopefully) future and don't want to see him leave for a lower tiered Power 5 school.

Obviously paraphrasing, because I was listening to it and I don't have a transcript, but that was the gist of it.

I'm not sure I understand the catastrophic consequences of leaving L'ville for Texas. Texas is a destination job. Landing this job tells a coach he's had a very successful career. And it's a job that provides him with more resources and advantages than any other in the nation. So what were the consequences and why, when offered the job, would disaster be a consideration? Mack Brown was here a nice long time and had steady success (until the last 2-3 years). Not doubting you as you always make good sense, just trying to follow.

Thanks Mark for such a civil response. As you well know (and perhaps you know better than most :) ...I'm kidding you) .....choice of words when posting can take you down a slippery slope. For example...using words like "always", "100%", "certain", "never' and others that don't come to mind right now...will most always elicit an argumentative response. On the hand, using words like "possible or possibly", "usually", "almost", "occasionally" and "in my opinion"....leave a lot of wiggle room and can nip an argument in the bud..

So....perhaps I was wise in saying "possibly catastrophic". My thoughts are that Charlie has been here less than 2 years and likely already has roughly 60% of the Texas fan base that wants to see him fired. His critics are in a shark-like feeding frenzy....and SURELY...it's not a great feeling that he awakes with every morning. To top all of that off, if he does end the season at 4-8....and gets fired after only 2 years on the job, I think most would think that he lost a bit of shine off his resume.

I'm not going to spend time describing what would have happened if he stayed at Louisville...but suffice it to say..in my opinion, he wouldn't be involved in a sh** storm of controvery today if he were still there...no matter what his record was. If you're making 3 million and happy, that could be better than 5 mill and unhappy.

In my opinion, the fan base and media that cover the University of Texas are relentless and without question, in the top 3 of all college football teams with expectations that are often greater than realisic. There are times when the difference between winning and losing is just pure luck. A high snap, a missed extra point or field goal, a fumble , a bad penalty...any of which can mean the difference between winning and losing...can happen at any time. All football coaches are WELL aware of this...and therefore when you make that decision to come to Texas...you better hope like hell that those things don't happen...and especially hope they don't happen repeatedly. Texas fans will cut you no slack even though they're mostly aware of the truth of what I just described. But eff it...you better just win. Period. So any coach that is simply an "up and comer" (Herman)...that has not already established an outstanding track record consisting of multiple MNCs (eg Saban)...would have to think hard before taking the job at Texas. Obviously the up and comer wouldn't have to think too hard if offered 25 million guaranteed.

Now if Charlie goes 4-8, gets fired and then hired as head coach at Miami, that's no catastrophe. But if he gets fired and can't find a job any better than DC at some middle of the road destination...it is my humble opinion that his move to Texas resulted in catastrophic consequences. 

Okay, maybe I'm misreading this but I've seen on other sites that the Houston board approved the AD being able to offer Tom Herman $3M. And Herman has said he is not going to even talk about taking any offers from Houston until after the current football season concludes. Has anyone else seen this?

Herman has not accepted the offer as of yet.

The University of Houston does not want head coach Tom Herman going anywhere after this season, as it announced Thursday it will offer to raise his annual salary to $3 million, according to Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel. Houston's Board has approved the decision and is waiting for Herman to accept, per Thamel. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2591184-tom-herman-offered-salary-increase-by-houston-latest-details-reaction

Thanks Mark for such a civil response. As you well know (and perhaps you know better than most :) ...I'm kidding you) .....choice of words when posting can take you down a slippery slope. For example...using words like "always", "100%", "certain", "never' and others that don't come to mind right now...will most always elicit an argumentative response. On the hand, using words like "possible or possibly", "usually", "almost", "occasionally" and "in my opinion"....leave a lot of wiggle room and can nip an argument in the bud..

So....perhaps I was wise in saying "possibly catastrophic". My thoughts are that Charlie has been here less than 2 years and likely already has roughly 60% of the Texas fan base that wants to see him fired. His critics are in a shark-like feeding frenzy....and SURELY...it's not a great feeling that he awakes with every morning. To top all of that off, if he does end the season at 4-8....and gets fired after only 2 years on the job, I think most would think that he lost a bit of shine off his resume.

I'm not going to spend time describing what would have happened if he stayed at Louisville...but suffice it to say..in my opinion, he wouldn't be involved in a sh** storm of controvery today if he were still there...no matter what his record was. If you're making 3 million and happy, that could be better than 5 mill and unhappy.

In my opinion, the fan base and media that cover the University of Texas are relentless and without question, in the top 3 of all college football teams with expectations that are often greater than realisic. There are times when the difference between winning and losing is just pure luck. A high snap, a missed extra point or field goal, a fumble , a bad penalty...any of which can mean the difference between winning and losing...can happen at any time. All football coaches are WELL aware of this...and therefore when you make that decision to come to Texas...you better hope like hell that those things don't happen...and especially hope they don't happen repeatedly. Texas fans will cut you no slack even though they're mostly aware of the truth of what I just described. But eff it...you better just win. Period. So any coach that is simply an "up and comer" (Herman)...that has not already established an outstanding track record consisting of multiple MNCs (eg Saban)...would have to think hard before taking the job at Texas. Obviously the up and comer wouldn't have to think too hard if offered 25 million guaranteed.

Now if Charlie goes 4-8, gets fired and then hired as head coach at Miami, that's no catastrophe. But if he gets fired and can't find a job any better than DC at some middle of the road destination...it is my humble opinion that his move to Texas resulted in catastrophic consequences. 

Thanks for expounding, that makes sense to me. Especially that sentence in red.

I think one thing that a $3 million salery does is give Tom Herman leverage.  Any team that is going to want to hire him will have to do it with guarenteed contract and I am sure that the type of contract Charlie Strong was given Tom's agent would not want to negotiate for anything less. My question would be is Texas going to be reluctant to do another contract like the one we have given Charlie.  

I think one thing that a $3 million salery does is give Tom Herman leverage. Any team that is going to want to hire him will have to do it with guarenteed contract and I am sure that the type of contract Charlie Strong was given Tom's agent would not want to negotiate for anything less. My question would be is Texas going to be reluctant to do another contract like the one we have given Charlie.

Strong's resume was a bit more significant than Herman's at the time Charlie got that guaranteed deal. Also - Strong had shown a reluctance to leave Louisville and had turned down an offer from Tenn the year before.

Herman headed to SC East. Tentative agreement in place.

Should know soon.

The only spot open is Mizzou. Not sure why Herman would want to go there and Mizzou isn't exactly cash-rich.

$3 mil is nothing for Texas, if Texas wants him, and a majority of the BMDs want Herman right now, like yesterday, they'll have him.

But yes, Texas has talked to Herman, that much I have been told directly and it was elaborated on. That was after the ISU game. You're free to think what you want with regard to legs, but the timing (cause vs effect) is more than coincidental.

Mark

Isn't South Carolina open? I think that's what he is referring to.

Facing a complete rebuilding job from the cellar of the SEC? I don't think so.

The USC on the OTHER coast is the more likely suitor for Herman, of those that Herman would consider leaving Houston for. I hear they are interested.

Mark

Isn't South Carolina open? I think that's what he is referring to.

According to Spurs' source (a poster on OB), Tom Herman hasn't even visited the SC campus/town, has never been there, hasn't discussed anything with his wife, while at the same time trying to prep his team for a huge game with Navy.

Does that sound like something the top coaching candidate in the land would do?