Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New OC

Mitch Lovell

Sonny Cumbie would be a pretty great hire.

So would Kevin Wilson if Indiana fires him.

Mike Yurcich from Okie Lite is a pretty good candidate.

Tyson Helton at WKU is a younger guy who might be looking to move up.

Same with Sterlin Gilbert at Tulsa.

I'm seeing Gilbert's name more and more recently.

I'm seeing Gilbert's name more and more recently.

I think his name getting out there is more of an echo chamber effect.  More and more sites are talking about him but I think thats just because more and more sites are talking about him.

I don't think anyone has any idea of who Strong is considering or who they might reach out to.

My idea of a good OC hire is at a minimum: OC at a high octane non Power 5 team who calls plays. OC at a Power 5 team with great offense would be even better, but I think we need to have someone with spread or power spread play calling experience, and recent success at it to go with it. I'm nervous when names come up of guys who haven't called plays. Cumbie might be the exception to that.

There may be no changes in this staff.............then again this whole staff may be gone. I have no clue as to what is going on. Charlie is either happy or unhappy at UT. I have no idea since he has not addressed the issue. If he's unhappy he should leave today. I have no connections to the coaching climate there, but I do expect Charlie to recruit like hell the next few weeks to shore this team up and stop the bleeding..........signed yours truly, unknowing

I've seen some names but curious what "style/version" of the spread they run. . . 

Our strength is RB. . . we need the Meyer/Tom Herman offense. . . 

We also need someone who can develop QBs.   Someone who can get Heard easy throws .. .though I have to say, liked a great deal of the WVU scheme on offense. . .just wonder WTF it's been.

We do not need the air raid offense. .. .nor will that fit with CFS' vision. . . 

I believe Strong will be back (even though me may well lose both remaining games), and he will restructure the offensive staff. Some will go. I am pretty sure Traylor will stay in some capacity.

If he does not get a new OC, then there will be a move to "reassign" him. I think it is that simple.

Who the new OC is will depend upon who is available. I would suspect Strong will be given the ability to offer a multi-year contract to the right person in order to ease the uncertainty.

The new OC must be someone who can design and execute an offense that takes advantage of the strengths of our talent, particularly at quarterback. Development of a quarterback will be at a premium. We do not have one right now that is capable of being a championship QB. Heard may have the physical talent, but he needs badly to learn to read defenses and do the mental part of the game. Or we need to develop someone else.

I like what Charlie Strong has brought to Texas in terms of discipline. I wish him well. But he needs to do better with offensive staffing.

Just my .02 worth. With a team this young the early schedule was brutal. If we had three easy games along the lines of what Baylor or Okie State had, it would have been an 3-0 start. Winning and losing can be habit forming. OSU has escaped a lot of games because they just seem to believe they will win, and a little help from the officials doesn't hurt. But they got the winning habit by beating up on some cream puffs. This team could have used some of that confidence early on, and I think they would have won at least a couple of the conference games that were lost so far. Hopefully the gauntlet they have gone through will strengthen them for next year. Just hope the losing from this year didn't become a habit.