Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Denzel Okafor commits to Texas

Mike Roach

denzel_okafor.0.0.jpg

With a dark cloud hanging over the program from a loss against West Virginia, the Texas football program got a boost in the form of a commitment from Lewisville offensive lineman Denzel Okafor. The eleventh commitment of the 2016 class comes at a position in need of talented bodies. Okafor chose Texas over offers from TCU, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech.

Okafor fits the Joe Wickline mold of player who is a little rough technically but has a great build with good weight. The Texas offensive line has been in need of an overhaul for quite a while and things seem to be on the right track with the emergence of Patrick Vahe and Connor Williams. Okafor will join Tope Imade in the offensive line class while the staff continues to pursue North Mesquite tackle Jean Delance. Okafor and Imade share the common bond of Nigerian heritage, which carries a proud history within the Texas program. If Texas could close on Delance they would have a solid offensive line class to mix into the current pool of young players already on campus.

Film Analysis:

At 6’4 290 lbs., Okafor has a dream build for an offensive lineman reminiscent of Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith. Since he carries no bad weight, it should be easy for Pat Moorer and his staff to build a prototype lineman from a physical standpoint. On the front foot Okafor is strong in the run game with strength to open holes and a motor that allows him to work second level. He moves well, but sometimes has trouble aligning himself with defenders in space. Okafor shows good versatility to play both guard and tackle with the ability to reach block, pull, and base block. Once Okafor engages he has the ability to overwhelm his man with his strength and leverage to drive him into the ground. Okafor will benefit most from pass rush instruction where he is pretty raw. Okafor uses his length well keeping his man from getting inside with good extension and hand placement. He also uses a good punch to deliver the blow and knock the pass rusher off balance. He does struggle with his kick slide and is a bit too narrow in his base which can cause him to get off balance and leave him susceptible to the speed rush or inside move. The good news is Okafor moves well and should be able to improve these things with proper coaching.

Final Verdict:

Okafor is a nice pickup who is underrated at this point as evidenced by his offer list. He’s athletic, has a great physical foundation, and shows versatility to play multiple positions along the offensive line. He’s a valuable acquisition at a position of need, and with proper coaching he could become a valuable piece of a young, athletic unit. Wickline prospects are difficult to project, but the ceiling on Okafor suggests he could be an all conference level player with a chance to play in the NFL.

This post has been promoted to an article

The most appealing thing with Okafor are his high, thick hips. Wick seeks out these types a lot as they have so much lower body power. Add in the fact that defenders have a horrible time trying to put their hands on him because of his long arms.

I'll add that Okafor is not underdeveloped by any stretch. The kid's got a pair of pythons already. But he has such a large frame that he'll be able to add more bulk muscle without suffering loss of mobility or quickness.

Okafor's 3-star rating is a joke. He's a stud and should be a mid-4 star. Ratings matter to the fans and are done by "experts" many of whom have never played a down of ball. That's all nice but the rubber meets the road in the realm of who the coach wants to recruit . . . and why.

Little is too busy busy pitting Alabama and Ole Miss bag-men against each other to consider Texas.

But I think Hudson is still a legit target.

I heard/read that Hudson's sister is not going to Baylor now. Not sure what exactly that means for Hudson and Texas, but it has to be somewhat positive.

link, I'd like to heard/read...I'm going with Shack if there is a pending. I'm not so sure JD comes to the forty.

It was from Higs chat yesterday. Someone posted a chat recap on Spurstalk.

- Patrick Hudson's sister will not end up at Baylor.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244210&page=153

Like I said, have no idea what it means or if Hudson wants to go to school with his sister. For all I know he dislikes her and wants to be at different school. Who knows.

Found this on the Lewisville HS Facebook page this morning.

CONGRATULATIONS to Farmer football player Denzel Okafor! He has been selected to play in the Semper Fidelis All American Bowl Game in Los Angeles. This is a high honor and is also well deserved. The Marine Corps, and the Selection Tour will be at LHS this week to present Denzel’s game jersey to him.

Also, Denzel has also just committed to play football at the University of Texas for Coach Charlie Strong. Denzel has been a high character leader for LHS and we are thrilled to see a great person and athlete be recognized and compensated for the hard work and dedication he has given to Lewisville High School.

The most appealing thing with Okafor are his high, thick hips. Wick seeks out these types a lot as they have so much lower body power. Add in the fact that defenders have a horrible time trying to put their hands on him because of his long arms.

I'll add that Okafor is not underdeveloped by any stretch. The kid's got a pair of pythons already. But he has such a large frame that he'll be able to add more bulk muscle without suffering loss of mobility or quickness.

Okafor's 3-star rating is a joke. He's a stud and should be a mid-4 star. Ratings matter to the fans and are done by "experts" many of whom have never played a down of ball. That's all nice but the rubber meets the road in the realm of who the coach wants to recruit . . . and why.

SHA, Rivals has him listed as a 2*... Im asking this legitimately, how is he as good as you are saying but is only being recognized as a 2* at worst and a 3* at best? I understand that the star system isn't always correct(Swoopes being a 5* at one point), but generally speaking the stars do mean something. It seems like a bit of a stretch to elevate a guy rated as a 2* to a mid ranged 4*. Are we just settling at this point? Again I am not all consumed by the start rating system but we seem to be picking up a bunch 3*'s and some 2*'s and people continue to talk them up. Its not as though Texas HS FB is in a HS market that isn't heavily watched by the recruiting world... Are we just settling for project players that have a much lower potential?

SHA, Rivals has him listed as a 2*... Im asking this legitimately, how is he as good as you are saying but is only being recognized as a 2* at worst and a 3* at best? I understand that the star system isn't always correct(Swoopes being a 5* at one point), but generally speaking the stars do mean something. It seems like a bit of a stretch to elevate a guy rated as a 2* to a mid ranged 4*. Are we just settling at this point? Again I am not all consumed by the start rating system but we seem to be picking up a bunch 3*'s and some 2*'s and people continue to talk them up. Its not as though Texas HS FB is in a HS market that isn't heavily watched by the recruiting world... Are we just settling for project players that have a much lower potential?

Connor Williams was a 3 star but had offers from every major program in the country and is one of the best Freshman players in the country.  Outside of the 5 stars (and everybody knows who they are) - high school rankings are pretty worthless.  Of all the recruiting services Rivals is probably the worst - they rarely ever update the ratings once a kid has been rated.  High school recruiting ratings are a joke.  How many games and how many kids do you think these guys have actually watched?

Kids make big jumps - through simple maturity or from working their asses off - between their Junior and Senior years all the time.  Okafor is a great get who had offers from some very quality teams (with a history of successful recruiting).  I don't care what his star rating is.

It's hard to judge, ESPN has Denzel rated as a 4*.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/206871/denzel-okafor

Connor Williams was a 3 star but had offers from every major program in the country and is one of the best Freshman players in the country.  Outside of the 5 stars (and everybody knows who they are) - high school rankings are pretty worthless.  Of all the recruiting services Rivals is probably the worst - they rarely ever update the ratings once a kid has been rated.  High school recruiting ratings are a joke.  How many games and how many kids do you think these guys have actually watched?

Kids make big jumps - through simple maturity or from working their asses off - between their Junior and Senior years all the time.  Okafor is a great get who had offers from some very quality teams (with a history of successful recruiting).  I don't care what his star rating is.

Fair enough... I get all of that and I agree with all of that. But I also know that generally speaking 5 stars and most 4 stars are more ready to come in and contribute immediately. That said, with as poor as our coaching has been(especially on the O side), we need kids that can come in immediately and use their superior talent to offset what the coaching lacks. Orrr we can keep picking up 3* type talent with upside and the coaches have to get their coaching shit together and develop these kids. 

Thanks.

It's amazing the difference between one rating site to the next... You'd think it'd be in their best interest to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks.

I don't get it either. I find it best to go with which ever site rates your teams commit the highest :) on the flip side, go with the site that ranks your rival teams commit lower :)