Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****Texas vs. Kansas Game Thread*****

Aaron Carrara

• Administrators

• Administrators

Except for the 2 or 3 "bomb" passes in the first half....much of the offense looked the same as it did against Iowa State...and were it not for the pitiful poor play from Kansas, the score would have likely been tied or something close to it at the end of the 1st half..

Then in the 2nd half, they FINALLY start throwing little slant passes over the middle, and letting Heard roll out and complete passes.....whole play calling scheme looked different in the 2nd half..AND Heard had ZERO trouble throwing those little short passes across the middle...and receivers had no problems catching.  Heard went from whipped puppy look to having confidence of alpha dog..Why in the hell didn't they play call it last week like they did in the 2nd half this week.

We'll see reality next week. At least I have something to look forward to.

Except for the 2 or 3 "bomb" passes in the first half....much of the offense looked the same as it did against Iowa State...and were it not for the pitiful poor play from Kansas, the score would have likely been tied or something close to it at the end of the 1st half..

Then in the 2nd half, they FINALLY start throwing little slant passes over the middle, and letting Heard roll out and complete passes.....whole play calling scheme looked different in the 2nd half..AND Heard had ZERO trouble throwing those little short passes across the middle...and receivers had no problems catching.  Heard went from whipped puppy look to having confidence of alpha dog..Why in the hell didn't they play call it last week like they did in the 2nd half this week.

Up 17-0 in the first half was NOT to the time to make substitutions on the OL. Really stupid move on Wickline's part. Should have gone all out to try and double the score. Was not the time to take the foot off the gas pedal. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Yea I thought the same.  KU had a chance to bring it within one score by halftime but we see why they are winless this year and the fact they almost did shows why we are 4-5.

Elliott and D. Foreman were fun to watch.

I agree somewhat, but I also see Wickline's point. He's got to find some guys that can play in that Offensive Line. Through missed assignments or getting whipped or whatever, Heard was getting flushed way too quickly......same as Iowa St. game. Wickline is at least trying something instead of watching the same old thing and hoping for better results. Between now and next year our O-Line needs to greatly improve for us to be able to win more games. I understand your reference to his timing of substituting though.

Up 17-0 in the first half was NOT to the time to make substitutions on the OL. Really stupid move on Wickline's part. Should have gone all out to try and double the score. Was not the time to take the foot off the gas pedal. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

He can perma sub for Doyle IMO.

Positives:

1. Last Years recruiting class will be one of the best.   Elliott, Hill, Locke, and Burt looked awesome.  Newsome is a quick jitterbug, he will break one eventually. 
  2. Swoopes is running the ball so much better than he ever did last year.  He seems quicker and more confident to me or maybe Kansas is just slow.
  3. D. Foreman continues to show why he should be the starting RB.  

More of the same:

1. Marcus "No hands" Johnson shows why he has been an underachiever and probably the most mediocre starting receiver in Texas history.
  2. Doyle

This game showed me very little other than Kansas is really really bad and it is very difficult to tell if you have really improved when you are just playing a terrible team. We won and our offense scored a lot of points so that is why I will be thankful but I am more excited to see if we show any improvements againts our next three opponents. 

My thoughts . . . 

– Kansas is on the schedule. We have to play them. We should expect to score 59 on them and we did.

– I understand why we ran the ball more in the 2nd half. While we did have success with the pass in the first half, we needed to beat KU down and you do that with your running game.

– Was pleased to see Foreman get more touches. Look at what he did with those opportunities.

– KU's QB and TB are going to be good one day. Their supporting cast just isn't there though.

– For those of you having trouble digesting OU scoring 52 on Iowa State, imagine the mass confusion in Ames this morning. "We beat Texas and they beat OU. This wasn't supposed to happen."

– Some of you are not high on Jason Hall. But that kid brings the wood. One day we'll see a starting duo of Hall-Elliott and it will be one of the best combos we've seen at Texas.

– I realize Buck Major is being redshirted, but this OL really needs him. RT is a big problem. Nicholson just . . never mind.

– Last week several well known authors at Longhorn sites were pounding home the "Heard cannot throw a forward pass on the run" mantra.  Inexplicably, Heard threw on the run and did so extremely well last night.

– Team needed some confidence, this serves that purpose. They'll need it going into Morgantown. We're not going to see a Mountaineer defense that is healthy though.