Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

texasfanbrock

Its time to fire Strong

Media speak from their ass, often....

Yes obviously, but if that part of the story is wrong, saying Sexton is Charlie's agent would be comparable to saying Butch Harmon is Tiger Woods swing coach. No matter how much zeal there is to get their stories out first, someone is going to catch a huge error like that because it would destroy the rumor/story. So far the only ones that have disputed that at all was some posters on HD and if Hig was involved he's about the most pro charlie guy out there. Just for the record, I don't believe the story and I would genuinely be shocked if Charlie went anywhere this year but I just don't believe every single major news site would miss that big of detail no matter how incompetent they have shown themselves to be in the past.

I did a few quick Google Searches regarding Sexton and Strong. The only stories they're connected in are the stories about Saban getting a raise courtesy of Sexton when Charlie became our HC and then the new stories about Miami. There was nothing else connecting them. There are a ton of stories about Sexton and his client list, Charlie is never mentioned in any of them. You'd think if folks were running a story about an agents success, they'd mention him being the agent of the first black head coach at Texas. Especially when it's also one of the largest contracts in college football.

looking back we have seen a couple of other storied programs hit the toilet and come back due to branding and bringing on the right coach. Look at Ohio State before Urban, Notre Dame before Kelly, Florida before Elwin, Florida state before Jimbo, Alabama before saben, Michigan before Harbough. Most of those programs didnt take longer than 2 years to put their stamp on the program and kick ass. I think that it would be better to part ways with strong after this season, just because i am baffled by his game day decisions as well as his coaching staff. However maybe he needs that third year to turn the lights on and someone of us just don't realize that right now.

Anyways if we do blow this up now or after next year i honestly think we still have the pull to bring in someone that can bring us back to prominence, and i think it will happen sooner than later.

Nahlin at inside Texas said he just had an interesting phone call,

Saying that it's mutually best for everyone to part ways. Saying Firing Charlie isn't the only outcome, Charlie appears to want out personally.

I'm just relaying what I saw on spurstalk.com. I have no idea how much weight this has. Supposedly nahlin has been a huge Charlie supporter even after all this mess.

Saying that it's mutually best for everyone to part ways. Saying Firing Charlie isn't the only outcome, Charlie appears to want out personally.

If true and Strong wants to leave, so be it. IMHO though that doesn't reflect well on him at all, it basically says he couldn't handle it.

Nahlin at inside Texas said he just had an interesting phone call,

I'm just relaying what I saw on spurstalk.com. I have no idea how much weight this has. Supposedly nahlin has been a huge Charlie supporter even after all this mess.

He basically said Strong is unhappy, it's not impossible he'll leave, and the AD is making contingency plans just in case. He said he expects Strong will be back, though.

Well, as you all know I said after the Iowa State debacle that a connected guy I know said the BMDs were just livid and wanted Charlie out. I don't know Nahlin personally but know that he's well connected. If he's saying that, its got some legs.

A week ago I was thinking Charlie would be back even if he lost out. I don't know anymore.

This is not good at all. Terrible timing. The recruits we have are for the most part sold on this coach. Geez.

I am just curious.  People are saying Strong is unhappy.  I am trying to understand what he is unhappy about?  

1.  The losing record?

2.  Homesick, missing Florida?

3.  The school's administration?

4.  The demanding fanbase?

5.  Time consumption - media obligations such as LHN etc?

Is there a link to this interview with Nahlin?

I haven't seen the interview with Nahlin - assume its behind the paywall - but a poster on another board said that Nahlin clarified that these were just his opinions.  He doesn't know if Strong wants out (though he says some parents hold that belief).  This is Nahlin speculating.  Nothing wrong with that - its part of his job.

FWIW - I think the chances of Strong walking away from the Texas job after two years are nil.  His story is pretty well-known, how many times he was passed over for jobs and what he believed the reason for it was.  I can't see him working as hard as he worked - and finally getting to one of the top jobs in college football, becoming the first African-American coach at the University of Texas - and he's going to walk away from that after two years?

Not happening.

FWIW - I think the chances of Strong walking away from the Texas job after two years are nil.  His story is pretty well-known, how many times he was passed over for jobs and what he believed the reason for it was.  I can't see him working as hard as he worked - and finally getting to one of the top jobs in college football, becoming the first African-American coach at the University of Texas - and he's going to walk away from that after two years?

Not happening.

I agree with you.  

I cant  see Strong quitting on this program.  This would be a huge blow to his reputation if he did.  Thats why im curious as to why people are saying he is unhappy.

I agree with you.  

I cant  see Strong quitting on this program.  This would be a huge blow to his reputation if he did.  Thats why im curious as to why people are saying he is unhappy.

I imagine that any unhappiness he has is because of the losing.  Strong doesn't appear to be a guy who handles losing very well - and lets be honest he hasn't been a part of a whole lot of losing in his 30+ year career.

FWIW - in the unlikely event Strong and texas do decide to part ways at the end of the season - Texas better already have somebody big to replace Strong.  They better have a plan and it better not include the words 'search firm'.  If Strong decides to leave they better be ready to name someone Head Ball Coach the next day - and it needs to be a big name and a guy who can recruit.  They wouldn't be able to afford the time it takes to do a normal coaching search.

I imagine that any unhappiness he has is because of the losing.  Strong doesn't appear to be a guy who handles losing very well - and lets be honest he hasn't been a part of a whole lot of losing in his 30+ year career.

FWIW - in the unlikely event Strong and texas do decide to part ways at the end of the season - Texas better already have somebody big to replace Strong.  They better have a plan and it better not include the words 'search firm'.  If Strong decides to leave they better be ready to name someone Head Ball Coach the next day - and it needs to be a big name and a guy who can recruit.  They wouldn't be able to afford the time it takes to do a normal coaching search.

Agree 100% I just don't think Charlie walks on his own.  If he did, all of the chuckleheads wanting him fired better get ready because his walking on his own would crush recruiting and perception.  This program would be in a tailspin unless the right person is already signed like you said.

Agree 100% I just don't think Charlie walks on his own.  If he did, all of the chuckleheads wanting him fired better get ready because his walking on his own would crush recruiting and perception.  This program would be in a tailspin unless the right person is already signed like you said.

true but pretty sure they've probably already been feeling out coaches like one did with Saban towards the end of MB's HC time with or without the ADs consent.  I don't know if they can see past their own egos.  They want a say in the program and will demand it--most likely with the new guy.  Charlie never gave them that.  If he stays, do the big money donors name the OC & bring in their own or does Charlie get to find his own?  I think it's a force out--not Charlie walking on his own accord. If he fails, it should be all on him by his own hand so there's no and, ifs, or buts about it.    

This

Charlie gets another year if he wants it. It looks bad for UT politically if he's forced out after only two years. Of course, offensive staff changes will be mandatory for him - OC in particular - to buy that additional year.

IMO, Tom Herman is the right guy but I expect South Carolina or Mizzou to snatch him up if he wants to bail on UH after only one year. Or maybe UT donors have already approached him about being patient? Two years in Houston ain't long to wait for the UT opportunity.

Nahlin is a fan and has stepped up to the edge of the cliff and put his personal opinion out there....  He wasn't told anything definitive!  People are extremely loose lipped in order to look more connected at times and that's not the way Nahlin works.  That is how message board cats operate.

He is NOT leaving voluntarily........

The biggest mistake Strong made was the staff decisions when he was hired.  Watson and Wickline CO offensive coordinators.  Charlie is a defensive coach in a spread high octane offensive conference.  Watson hardly fits that bill and is still the QB coach.  The second mistake he made was keeping Watson as OC through the off season after the disastrous end in 2014.  Wickline and Watson is hardly a marriage that fits.

That being said this team would still have issues due to the OL talent, missing some playmakers on the DL, QB development.  I believe this can still be salvaged and fixed but Charlie needs to make staff changes.  IMO on the offensive side only Traylor and Norvel are safe but as position coaches.  Charlie needs to hire a proven and upcoming offensive OC as some here have suggested and leave the decisions, gameplan, and scheme up to him.  That way Strong can focus on the defensive side.

In the end an overhaul on offensive staff and a couple of recruiting cycles will turn this around.  Last years recruiting class was one of the best I have seen in years.  Hill, Elliot, Burt, Williams, MJ, and Boyd will probably be playing on Sundays.  Give him another good class and a proven OC and this team will be drastically better.

Bruce Feldman now reporting that Strong is indeed interested in Miami. I think there is now real smoke. You take what is being said on IT and now this something is brewing. 

Feldman is reporting the same thing he reported back in Oct - that a source 'close to Strong' says that Strong 'would have interest' in the Miami job.  Feldman concedes that their is no chance Miami can pay Strong 5 million a year or that they'd even want him after a 4-8 season at Texas.

I call bullshit today - just as I did back in Oct.

There is zero chance Strong is walking away from this job and 10 million dollars.

Feldman is reporting the same thing he reported back in Oct - that a source 'close to Strong' says that Strong 'would have interest' in the Miami job.  Feldman concedes that their is no chance Miami can pay Strong 5 million a year or that they'd even want him after a 4-8 season at Texas.

I call bullshit today - just as I did back in Oct.

There is zero chance Strong is walking away from this job and 10 million dollars.

Yup