Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
texasfanbrock

Its time to fire Strong

No, he wasn't. And I explained why that will never happen again.

I really hope it doesn't happen. I'm in Strong's corner. But they don't consult with me lol. So I'm right there with you, whatever is best for UT.

Charlie is a good guy, but what amazes me about this coaching staff is how we never seem to make adjustments and then constantly blame it on execution.  I have seen people post on here about how great some of these coaches are for example "Bedford posted a top 20 defense" but when the defense sucks its always blamed on the players.  

Its like a broken record every post loss conference.

0-11 when the other team scores first.   

I like what I hear about Charlie Strong the man; not as pleased with Charlie Strong the coach.  I hope he decides to take another job this off season to the mutual benefit of UT and Coach Strong and we end up with the current University of Houston coach.  If Coach Strong is given a third year, we have got to start winning on a consistant basis.  What happened at Iowa State should NEVER happen at UT.  PERIOD.

Today's Dallas Morning News sport section states that TCU is number 2 in the nation in terms of starting and playing either true freshman or red shirt freshman.  They have played a total of 30 kids 15 being true freshman, and 15 being red shirt freshman.  Rice is number 1 with playing 31 who are either true freshman or red shirt freshman.  Texas did not make their list,

Youthful Ponies

SMU has played 22 freshmen this season, tied for 15th nationally. Teams playing the most freshmen (including true freshman and redshirts):

Team Total True Redshirt 1. Rice 31 10 21 2. TCU 30 15 15 3. BYU 28 16 12 3. Clemson 28 14 14 3. Florida Atlantic 28 16 12 3. Florida State 28 14 14 7. Boston College 26 16 10 7. N.C. State 26 16 10 7. USC 26 15 11 7. Wyoming 26 16 10 T-15. SMU 22 11 11

On Twitter:
 @BillNicholsDMN

Today's Dallas Morning News sport section states that TCU is number 2 in the nation in terms of starting and playing either true freshman or red shirt freshman.  They have played a total of 30 kids 15 being true freshman, and 15 being red shirt freshman.  Rice is number 1 with playing 31 who are either true freshman or red shirt freshman.  Texas did not make their list,

Youthful Ponies

SMU has played 22 freshmen this season, tied for 15th nationally. Teams playing the most freshmen (including true freshman and redshirts):

Team Total True Redshirt 1. Rice 31 10 21 2. TCU 30 15 15 3. BYU 28 16 12 3. Clemson 28 14 14 3. Florida Atlantic 28 16 12 3. Florida State 28 14 14 7. Boston College 26 16 10 7. N.C. State 26 16 10 7. USC 26 15 11 7. Wyoming 26 16 10 T-15. SMU 22 11 11

On Twitter:

@BillNicholsDMN

I've seen this a couple of places with respect to TCU's youth. However, having an established QB that's a Heisman candidate goes a long way in helping offset that issue.

Youthful Ponies

On Twitter:

@BillNicholsDMN

Awesome.  How many of them are starting?  How many are playing significant snaps?  Is their QB a freshman starter?  How about their LT? WR #1? MLB?  DB's?

Texas problem isn't that 'a lot of freshmen are playing'.  Texas problem is that the best players on the team - at the most important positions - are Freshmen.  Thats absurd.  Now add in that those freshmen are playing the toughest schedule in the NCAA and you have a recipe for disaster.

Youthful Ponies

On Twitter:

@BillNicholsDMN

Without using your Google bar, . . name one of them. Just one.

Without using your Google bar, . . name one of them. Just one.

I don't think I can name one of them, but it just shows that our team is not the youngest, and several Coaches are dealing with coaching a young team.  

I don't think I can name one of them, but it just shows that our team is not the youngest, and several Coaches are dealing with coaching a young team.  

Awesome.  How many of them are starting?  How many are playing significant snaps?  Is their QB a freshman starter?  How about their LT? WR #1? MLB?  DB's?

Texas problem isn't that 'a lot of freshmen are playing'.  Texas problem is that the best players on the team - at the most important positions - are Freshmen.  Thats absurd.  Now add in that those freshmen are playing the toughest schedule in the NCAA and you have a recipe for disaster.

Yes, and several coaches have the benefit of elder stars to mix in with that youth. But the youth in itself is not becoming a star. This is evidenced by the fact that none of us (myself included) can name a single one of them.

I may be biased, but Malik Jefferson is becoming a household name. Teams are having to account for him in their preparation for Texas.

anyone have a number for Texas?

offense

defense

special teams

It's Friday so forgive me if I'm off a little

F/S who've played this season

Offense:

4 Fr, 5 So

Defense:

14 Fr, 4 So

ST (I took out players already accounted for above):

2 Fr

Total F/S on the 11/2 depth chart

Offense:

13 Fr, 4 So

Defense:

9 Fr, 7 So

P/Long Snapper

2 Fr, 1 So

This^^^^^ don't really understand the argument.  What is SMU's record again? Oh yea one victory. 

4-8 is a disaster for UT. No doubt about it.

Maybe we'll pull a couple of upsets these last 3 games. It's gonna be semi-tough.

Straight up, prediction... As long as this team is competitive in the next three games, Strong is back.  Lose two more on the road like the other three true road games and all bets are off.  I think this team finishes 5-7, losing both road games and taking care of Tech at home.  With that finish, I believe Strong gets year three...  I'm looking for an OC hire an not any other major changes. 

Supposedly Jimmy Sexton(Charlie's agent) is putting it out there that Charlie isn't happy at Texas. The Miami sites are all trying to say that he at least has a interest in the job. Now I'm sure Sexton is just doing the same thing he did for Saban and trying to get more money for his client but these are the exact kind of rumors you don't need out there when you have coaches like Art Briles telling recruits that Charlie won't be at Texas for much longer.

Supposedly Jimmy Sexton(Charlie's agent) is putting it out there that Charlie isn't happy at Texas. The Miami sites are all trying to say that he at least has a interest in the job. Now I'm sure Sexton is just doing the same thing he did for Saban and trying to get more money for his client but these are the exact kind of rumors you don't need out there when you have coaches like Art Briles telling recruits that Charlie won't be at Texas for much longer.

This same issue was also spoken of on HD a few weeks ago. They stated that Charlie Strong doesn't even have an agent.

Whatever

Right now, Charlie doesn't have any leverage against UT. We're not giving him a raise after a 4-8 or 5-7 season. I don't believe Miami will pay their next coach $5MM per year or being willing to buy-out the last 3 years on CFS's contract.

That would be interesting if true. It's strange that so many major publications including Cbssports and NBCs College Football talk would miss a major detail like that.

Disagree, IMO, it's typical. Those guys don't like to get out of their chairs.

It's the same thing with Mizzou and what the media has done with that and with a school that embraced the first black gay to come out, has a black gay school govt president (elected), and a collection of three offenses (one of which supposedly happened off campus and involved a non-student) that not a single human being can prove happened.

Someone had to clean that poopsticka off the wall, no? Well, why can't that guy be found? In an age of EVERYTHING being photo'd or video'd, how is it that all this has absolutely none of that working for it?

The media wanted a story. And a small group of fanaticals have turned the school upside down. No wonder the SEC fans want to kick them out. They are weird, personified.

I'm embarrassed for them. Two of their leaders were forced out over nothing. Pinkel should have been one of them.

Disagree, IMO, it's typical. Those guys don't like to get out of their chairs.

It's the same thing with Mizzou and what the media has done with that and with a school that embraced the first black gay to come out, has a black gay school govt president (elected), and a collection of three offenses (one of which supposedly happened off campus and involved a non-student) that not a single human being can prove happened.

Someone had to clean that poopsticka off the wall, no? Well, why can't that guy be found? In an age of EVERYTHING being photo'd or video'd, how is it that all this has absolutely none of that working for it?

The media wanted a story. And a small group of fanaticals have turned the school upside down. No wonder the SEC fans want to kick them out. They are weird, personified.

I'm embarrassed for them. Two of their leaders were forced out over nothing. Pinkel should have been one of them.

This thread has lasted long enough. If any coach ought to be fired, it is Pinkel. What he did and let happen was atrocious. He should have told his team that they were there to play football and get an education, and if they wanted to boycott football, well, here is your bus ticket home.

I know a lot of folks are unhappy with the record we have, and I would agree that Strong has made mistakes, particularly with his offensive hires. However, it is very clear to me that he is building a very strong program that we will be very proud of in a short time.

Firing the coach at this point will create a lot more problems than it will solve. Be patient. Strong is a good man and a good coach. A new OC will solve any problems we have in the coaching arena if he makes the right hire. If he doesn't, then one can contemplate his exit. But not now, even if we lose out this year.

In 1954, Bear Bryant took an Aggie team that had been 4-5-1 the prior year, and turned it into a 1-9 team. But the next year he was 7-2-1 and the next 8-3. He then went to Alabama and Aggy dropped to 4-6. It takes a year or two to get back to winning. (note also that even Bear could turn Aggy into a big winner....lol).

Patience! :)