Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Its time to fire Strong

texasfanbrock

Mixed feelings this morning.  On one hand I like Strong the person and wanted him to succeed.  On the other hand tired of seeing this team flat and unprepared.

Cant help but wonder Strong's biggest mistake was not getting an established spread OC when he put his staff together.  Watson was a mistake.

The defense was better last year but we had some good upperclassmen like Hicks and Macolm Brown.  Haines and Thomas hardly qualify as good.  This year the defense is just full of FR/SO.  

well, I think his chief beef is with Bevoblake, I'm not sure. But if I had his number I'd call him and ask him to come back. I like the guy, have for some time.

I don't know that he left primarily because of me. He's a lot more grown up than that. But if he did, he strongly overreacted to what I said. If someone is going to leave a forum because someone suggests they calm down, then they're not emotionally fit for the Internet.

But again, I don't think he left because of me. At least not primarily. I think he was tired of being viewed as a downer each week. Those perceptions were unfair, I'll give him that.

Edit: And in case that wasn't clear enough, I really hope STP sticks around. I simply think emotions were running high after the loss and people were taking things more personally than intended.

I honestly feel bad that a guy is getting fired, don't get me wrong I was mad at the Iowa state loss. But you can't expect a coach to have instant success with ONE highly touted freshmen class who are playing better than the upperclassmen. To be honest guys Coach Strong made my dream of coaching at Texas a reality. I haven't even met the guy but he has inspired me in many ways. By God's grace I pray for you all that we can overcome this minor setback.

I believe you still can be the coach of Texas one day if you work hard.

Look, I like Strong and wanted him to succeed because I loved that he brought discipline and toughness back to the table. However getting shutout and flat embarrassed by Iowa St is not a minor setback, it's a major setback.

I believe you still can be the coach of Texas one day if you work hard.

Look, I like Strong and wanted him to succeed because I loved that he brought discipline and toughness back to the table. However getting shutout and flat embarrassed by Iowa St is not a minor setback, it's a major setback.

Good coaches with solid game plans don't get shut out by Iowa State.

Name one who did. I'm listening

Question for all that want strong fired, what issues is that gonna fix? Also it will kill our class this year. I think we all are pissed but don't see what issues it'll fix firing strong before he gets more of his guys on the field.

Firing Strong probably wouldn't kill our class this year anymore than continued embarrassing losses and back to back losing seasons would. 

Good coaches with solid game plans don't get shut out by Iowa State.

Name one who did. I'm listening

I believe you may have misunderstood my post. My reply was directed at Hookemfan91 who stated he wanted to be the coach at Texas one day. Nowhere did I state what happened last Saturday was acceptable.

Firing Strong probably wouldn't kill our class this year anymore than continued embarrassing losses and back to back losing seasons would.

I think that depends, honestly. Things look bleak right now. But I still have faith that the sophomores and freshman are the best football players on this team. Do we give the next staff credit for these kids when they're performing at really high level their Junior and Senior years?

I don't know that this is a losing team next year. But I do know that getting shut out by ISU and continuing to drop gimme games will put recruiting in a chokehold.

So since you want to fire strong who are u gonna replace him with and what's gonna be your selling point to this already impatient fan base without a ad as well

I am not sure if Charlie will get a third year or not but lets say for the sake of argument he does.  For all those that have said including myself to give him time to get his guys into the system . I think the third year should or has to show major improvements with a minimum of 7 wins with one being over a top 20 team for Charlie to keep his job.  Six wins will not be acceptable and my question is for those who vote to keep Charlie a third year how many games must he win next year to get to a fourth year.  If we get beat by Kansas then all bets are off as I see no way a third year will be even offerred by the fans or AD.

So since you want to fire strong who are u gonna replace him with and what's gonna be your selling point to this already impatient fan base without a ad as well

I didn't say that I wanted to fire Strong. I merely pointed out that the consequences from firing him wouldn't necessarily be any more damaging than having the situation continue in a downward spiral. If Charlie is the head coach next year, and next year is no better than this year or last year, then that could very well be even more damaging to Texas than cutting your losses now and moving on to the next head coach. 

Disheartening to say the least. I don't think there is an excuse here. Changes have to be made at the end of this season. I don't think a HC change needs to be made yet. But some Coordinators and position coaches needs to be replaced.

Exactly. Firing Charlie after just 2 seasons isn't the answer. You fire a coach after only 2 years, good luck getting another top tier coach to come here.

The offensive staff has to be fixed. Its obvious that Norvell isn't cut out to be an OC/play caller. I honestly wish they would give the play calling duties to to Traylor and see what he can do. I'd like to keep Norvell on as the WR coach but thats it. Tommie Robinson needs to be replaced as the RB coach. You need a plus recruiter in that position and he isn't it. I'm ok with the defensive staff (still not sold on Haley but he'll get more time).

Well, based on what I was just told by someone who would know, it looks like Charlie will be gone by end of season. A small faction was ready to do it even after OU. Now, it's standing room only in this faction. In their collective opinion, there is too much at stake to continue on (brand, recruiting, etc).

It's a $15 mil buyout and no one is blinking. Plus, the new coach's salary. No one is blinking.

I was told that whatever new coach they get will know well how to compete with the Big 12 offenses. It sounded as if someone is already in mind. Or two.

For me, I call Hermann right now.

Interesting. I think its a mistake but I don't have one of those extremely fat wallets that gets listened too.

Exactly. Firing Charlie after just 2 seasons isn't the answer. You fire a coach after only 2 years, good luck getting another top tier coach to come here.

Firing a coach after 2 years wouldn't keep most, if not all, top tier coaches from passing up an opportunity to be the head coach at the University of Texas. There might be other reasons but that wouldn't be that big a factor. Not with the ego that is required to a head coach in college football. 

Honest question guys if Strong finishes 7-5 with a win against Baylor and goes on to win the bowl game making the overall record 8-5. Would you still want him fired? I know I wouldn't

Of course you wouldn't. But what about the flip side. If he finishes 4-8 and gets blown out in 2-3 more games, would you want to retain him? Or, even worse, we lose to Kansas this week. How do you feel then?

Well, based on what I was just told by someone who would know, it looks like Charlie will be gone by end of season. A small faction was ready to do it even after OU. Now, it's standing room only in this faction. In their collective opinion, there is too much at stake to continue on (brand, recruiting, etc).

It's a $15 mil buyout and no one is blinking. Plus, the new coach's salary. No one is blinking.

I was told that whatever new coach they get will know well how to compete with the Big 12 offenses. It sounded as if someone is already in mind. Or two.

For me, I call Hermann right now.

I hope the new coach considers keeping Traylor.  Traylor can play a big role in holding some of the key recruits together.  Traylor is the big reason the Carson kid from LE committed.  I am almost positive that Carson is the first kid from LE to ever commit to UT, and there have been some good ones come through LE over the years.  UT must have a strong presence in East Texas.

It's very, very, obvious that it takes an offense minded head coach to win in the Big 12 now.

THIS^

The old saying is defense wins ballgames just isnt true anymore, especially not in the BIG 12.  You cant win a ball game if you are at zero points.  

I love tough defenses as much as anyone but we need an offensive minded coach if Strong is fired.  Watson was a terrible hire at OC.  Now everyone sees how great he has been at developing QB's as well.  Traylor is the one coach on this staff that I would keep for sure.

Tom Herman is the right choice if Strong leaves.

i purposely didn't visit the forums because of all the negative responses.  yes, i'm mad about what happened and still think i'm dreaming.

i'm still 100% behind letting Strong rebuild.  he has had only 1 full recruiting cycle.  he needs his recruits in the upperclass/leadership positions.  that means, he gets 3 more years.

he doesn't even have his qb playing.  these are mack's qbs.  ever since heard threw that first touchdown to, i believe it was foreman, in the rice game, i thought, wow, he just threw a duck that went for a touchdown.  i hope he can throw better than that.  i haven't seen him throw any better.  this makes me think that watson was right about not starting him.  heard is supposed to be a dual threat but as iowa st proved, he is only 1 dimensional.

hopefully, charlie's qb recruits will come in and be better.  locksley is gaining experience and can hopefully give us better options next year.

i purposely didn't visit the forums because of all the negative responses.  yes, i'm mad about what happened and still think i'm dreaming.

i'm still 100% behind letting Strong rebuild.  he has had only 1 full recruiting cycle.  he needs his recruits in the upperclass/leadership positions.  that means, he gets 3 more years.

he doesn't even have his qb playing.  these are mack's qbs.  ever since heard threw that first touchdown to, i believe it was foreman, in the rice game, i thought, wow, he just threw a duck that went for a touchdown.  i hope he can throw better than that.  i haven't seen him throw any better.  this makes me think that watson was right about not starting him.  heard is supposed to be a dual threat but as iowa st proved, he is only 1 dimensional.

hopefully, charlie's qb recruits will come in and be better.  locksley is gaining experience and can hopefully give us better options next year.

Heard was recruited by Mack originally but signed under Strong's first class.  So under your logic Vahe isnt a Strong recruit either.  He committed to Texas when Mack was the coach and stuck with his pledge.  One of our best OL was a Mack recruit (and two of the worst lol).  You claim you are 100% behind Strong and his guys he recruits.  OK.  Then why is J Gray starting?  Hes a Mack Brown recruit and the least productive RB on the team IMO.  Why not start Foreman or Warren or Johnson?  He has his own players on the team and SOME of them he wont start.  

This team has enough talent to score on Iowa State dont tell me it doesnt.  Besides rumor has it Strong cussed out his assistants after the game saying they were out coached.   Strong also said we have enough talent to win games or atleast score vs a 2-5 team.  

Either way Heard played badly but he has thrown some nice long passes not just the duck you are referring to.  He didnt appear to want to throw any passes vs Iowa State.  Not sure WTH was going on.  They should try Locksley saving RS means crap if your team is this bad.

Every year its the same thing, "Wait til next year when INSERT RECRUIT QB HERE".  Truth is we havent had a good QB since Colt McCoy's final year in 2009.  Six years ago.