Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miami Hurricane site is saying that Charlie Strong wants the Miami job

Charlie really would be unhappy at Texas if he takes a $2 million reduction in pay.

Charlie Strong coaching Miami Hurricanes? History fits, salary doesn’t

Texas coach Charlie Strong laughed Monday when asked if he was interested in coaching Miami.

“I have the best job in the country,†he said during his weekly press conference in Austin.

But that won’t keep his name out of the speculation surrounding the Hurricanes’ coaching search. CaneSport.com reported Thursday that despite his public denial, Strong “wants†to be Miami’s next head coach.

In response to a message board post about Strong’s reputed interested in the Hurricanes, CaneSport publisher Gary Ferman wrote “I can confirm he wants the Miami job.†The message that drew Ferman’s response came from a poster claiming to have a direct connection to Strong’s agent, who told him that Strong was “extremely unhappy†at Texas, but couldn’t confirm whether Strong had interest in Miami.

Another unsourced item, reacting to the CaneSport report, said Strong “would listen†to Miami.

Given Strong’s history, his potential interest in Miami would seem to make sense. Given his current salary, it would not.

Strong spent 16 years over four stints at Florida, most recently as defensive coordinator from 2003-09, and heavily recruited the state while coaching Louisville from 2010-13.

He is 9-11 in two years at Texas, including a 1-4 start this season that opened up speculation about his future. The Longhorns (3-4) rebounded by beating Oklahoma and Kansas State.

Texas signed him in 2014 to a five-year contract worth $5 million annually, making him the third-highest-paid coach in America. The university also paid a $4.375 million buyout to Louisville.

It remains to be seen whether Miami would pony up a Strong-like salary for a coach. According to USA Today, Al Golden made just shy of $2.54 million last year. He is also due a considerable buyout payment, which the Miami Herald reported was $7 million (and, because of a clause in his contract, would have dropped by about $4 million had UM waited to fire him at the end of the season).

According to his contract, the details of which are public, Strong would owe Texas a certain sum of money if he left without cause. That amount would be equal to the total compensation Texas would be obligated to pay any of his assistant coaches who remain employed 60 days after Strong left

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/10/29/charlie-strong-coaching-miami-hurricanes-history-fits-salary-doesnt/

Do y'all think CS is unhappy at Texas. I know he has been under the gun to win. CS inherited a program short on talent and has been working hard to bring the talent level up to Texas standers. My friends y'all have a blessed week

Charlie has a few million reasons to be happy. I'm sure he doesn't cry himself to sleep at night.

Three people or groups of people benefit from these reports. 

1. The reporter. He farted a big name onto the Internet, and now Texas fans everywhere are clicking on his site.
  2. The coach's agent. This is why Kevin Sumlin has A&M by the balls. Tell enough people that your client is interested in a job, or that an AD is interested in your client, and the client is getting a pay raise. (Side note: I've heard Strong doesn't have an agent, which is peculiar since the poster claimed to have spoken to said agent.)
  3. Other coaches. The people happiest about this report are the Miami fans who are dumb enough to believe it. The second happiest people are Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Bob Stoops, Gary Patterson, etc. Want that recruitment to swing back in your favor? Send the recruit this article.

Strong is not going anywhere. 

Do y'all think CS is unhappy at Texas. I know he has been under the gun to win. CS inherited a program short on talent and has been working hard to bring the talent level up to Texas standers. My friends y'all have a blessed week

I imagine Strong was unhappy reporting to Patter$on at times, just like everyone else in the UT athletic department

I imagine Strong was unhappy reporting to Patter$on at times, just like everyone else in the UT athletic department

This ^^^^  I imagine with Perrin in place and now him bringing back Bianco that Charlie is a much happier person.  If the situation with Patterson had not changed I might be inclined to give these internet postings more serious consideration

I'm wondering who is on the prospect list for AD at Texas. My hope is Jurich is on that list. If he is, there is absolutely no way Strong is going to Miami.

As things stand, I can't see Strong going to a school where his style of leadership isn't a good fit, where they lack in financial resources and don't even have their own stadium.

What would be the attraction for Coach Strong at Miami?

I'm wondering who is on the prospect list for AD at Texas. My hope is Jurich is on that list. If he is, there is absolutely no way Strong is going to Miami.

As things stand, I can't see Strong going to a school where his style of leadership isn't a good fit, where they lack in financial resources and don't even have their own stadium.

What would be the attraction for Coach Strong at Miami?

With the shit-storm brewing around Pitino and the Cardinals' basketball program?

I doubt it. He was high on my list, too, before this went down. I just don't see it happening for Jurich now, unfortunately.

With the shit-storm brewing around Pitino and the Cardinals' basketball program?

I doubt it. He was high on my list, too, before this went down. I just don't see it happening for Jurich now, unfortunately.

I'm willing to see how it all plays out up in Louisville. The book with the allegations was a vanity press project, not vetted by an editor and not professionally fact checked (if fact checked at all).

Want to make Charlie unhappy. Make him leave behind unfinished business.

What's going to make Charlie happy is finishing what he started and turning the thing around. Otherwise, he'd know himself as the coach who couldn't and just walked away.

That ain't Charlie Strong.

Well, believe it or not, this guy saying that Charlie wants the Miami job has some pretty stiff competition for the dumbest thing said this week. 

First, some announcer during the Tech-OU game last week said that Oklahoma actually outplayed Texas the week before.

But even more incredible is what Clay Travis said last night during the TCU-WVA post game show. He actually said that Bob Stoops lost to Texas on purpose so that Texas would keep Charlie Strong. What an imbecile. 

Well, believe it or not, this guy saying that Charlie wants the Miami job has some pretty stiff competition for the dumbest thing said this week. 

First, some announcer during the Tech-OU game last week said that Oklahoma actually outplayed Texas the week before.

But even more incredible is what Clay Travis said last night during the TCU-WVA post game show. He actually said that Bob Stoops lost to Texas on purpose so that Texas would keep Charlie Strong. What an imbecile. 

200df_ORIG-disbelief.gif