Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Temple WR Davion Curtis - keep an eye out (UPDATED 10/28)

Mike Roach

I spoke with a source near Curtis who told me something interesting tonight. Curtis was contacted by the Texas track team who extended a scholarship offer to him this evening. Curtis is a Georgia commit, but Texas is his dream school. We told you about Curtis this week in Burnt Ends, and we were told by this source Curtis is considering taking the track scholarship and walking on to the Texas football team. This would be shades of Marquise Goodwin who of course did the same thing. If this were to happen and Curtis played football at Texas his scholarship would count against the football numbers. We will keep you guys apprised of this story as it continues.

Update (10/28 6:15PM) 

I spoke with my source again and here's the deal. Curtis was offered a partial scholarship from the Texas track team, and the track coach was good enough to go over and talk to the football office. Chris Vaughn and Brian Jean-Mary are the recruiters here, and they contacted Temple coaches. Expect to see Davion make a Texas game soon and the coaches are planning to go see Curtis in action. From what we were told, they are currently working out the numbers in this current class. Curtis however could be an exception because he has track speed which is something they currently don't have in their recruiting class. This also benefits the track coaches because they could save a partial scholarship if Texas football got involved and offered. There is still a lot of evaluating to go but this one could be picking up some steam. During our conversation I was told once again if Curtis went to Texas, Beaumont Central running back Devwah Whaley would most likely be in the bag. It would also bode well for the recruitment of Temple 2017 DE Taquon Graham who is an absolute stud. We will keep you guys updated on this one as we have a pretty good source on the news.

UPDATE: I spoke with my source again and here's the deal. Curtis was offered a partial scholarship from the Texas track team, and the track coach was good enough to go over and talk to the football office. Chris Vaughn and Brian Jean-Mary are the recruiters here, and they contacted Temple coaches. Expect to see Davion make a Texas game soon and the coaches are planning to go see Curtis in action. From what we were told, they are currently working out the numbers in this current class. Curtis however could be an exception because he has track speed which is something they currently don't have in their recruiting class. This also benefits the track coaches because they could save a partial scholarship if Texas football got involved and offered. There is still a lot of evaluating to go but this one could be picking up some steam. During our conversation I was told once again if Curtis went to Texas, Beaumont Central running back Devwah Whaley would most likely be in the bag. It would also bode well for the recruitment of Temple 2017 DE Taquon Graham who is an absolute stud. We will keep you guys updated on this one as we have a pretty good source on the news.

Just watched this kids JR Highlights. If you give this kid a foot, he'll take a mile. His ability to accelerate with pads is next level. His hands looked pretty solid. He went up and got some passes and even caught some with blatant pass interference. His route running looked good but it clearly benefits from the control he has of his legs. He could stop on a dime and leave his defender five yards deep on plays. That ability to create space and get open is what really stood out to me. That separation he created always ended up helping him juke the defender. I think you absolutely take a flyer on this kid. He could be a really solid slot receiver and an obvious downfield threat.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3265059/highlights/221649375/v2

Mike's scoop is legit. I talked to Davion last night and he confirmed the partial track scholly.

I never said it wasn't. I don't doubt that he said that. But apparently he has told others he was not offered. Why I don't know nor really care that is why I said this is interesting. 

Someone mentioned to me he refuted the story so he was the first one that jumped to mind. We are confident with our info on this one.

Something here is being lost in translation. I'm not questioning your source or the legitimacy of the info. I simple said that he has told others he was not offered and you say he has told HS that he was offered. So based on that info I find that interesting. Now the question is why has he told different people different things? Perhaps he was unsure before but now has more clarity on the situation since you spoke to him so now he feels more confident in disclosing the fact he indeed does have an offer.

Something here is being lost in translation. I'm not questioning your source or the legitimacy of the info. I simple said that he has told others he was not offered and you say he has told HS that he was offered. So based on that info I find that interesting. Now the question is why is had told different people different things? Perhaps he was unsure before but now has more clarity on the situation since you spoke to him so now he feels more confident in disclosing the fact he indeed does have an offer.

Not sure. We got the news as soon as he talked to Texas track so he told us that right after the situation.