Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

for everyone calling for Strong to be fired what did you expect of this team ? for Texas to compete against this schedule Texas needed the seniors and juniors to play like competent division 1 football players, the freshmen needed to be allowed to play without being asked to carry the team. lets look position by position and what lack of upperclassmen making plays does to teams record.at QB Jr Tyrone Swoopes was not able to keep Fr Jerrod Heard from starting not always bad for teams record to play frosh here if talented. at Rb Sr Johnathan Gray is starting but except for blocking and some big pass plays his play is less than good enough should be passed by Soph D`Onta Foreman again not real bad for teams record but need more from Gray. at Wr Sr`s Johnson and Johnson have been mixed Daje has made plays Marcus has not and his playing time needs to go to So Lorenzo Joe this position is negative for teams record needs more big plays.at Te So Andrew Beck starts but he needs to be replaced by Jr Caleb Blueitt otherwise this position contributed nothing to help teams record. at OL all 3 Sr`s are just not division 1 players every snap they receive is hurting teams record now and for future, Jr Kent Perkins should be all big12 type guard but playing tackle he is still good the Fr Williams and Vahe will be all big 12 someday to be the 2 best linemen shows why Texas is 1-4 overall the o-line is well below what Texas needs.at DL the Sr`s and Jr`s need to play more consistent and playing 3 man lines is scheme problem Texas has that is on Vance Bedford more than players the Fr and Soph will get more time as season goes on this group needs to play better with better scheme before they help teams record. at Lb the Sr Peter Jinkens should be all big 12 type player and he`s not close his lack of plays has cost Texas games already this position should just roll with Malik and the freshmen that are healthy and have Naashon Hughes move to MLB so Malik can play outside. at Db the upperclassmen are not getting it done forcing the frosh to play way more than they should besides o-line the play of the upperclass db`s is why Texas is losing. at K Nick Rose is missing easy kicks costing Texas at P Davison is brand new to football this is on coaches for not having other option .

Texas has a dilemma as does Coach Strong. No way Texas can stick with Strong if he doesn't fire and hire coaches to fix this team. Strong's problem is finding quality coaches who can fix this who will risk leaving their job coming to work for a coach who will be on a hot seat of mega proportions for what could be one year and done if success isn't achieved. Assuming the AD etc realize this problem, I can't see Strong lasting past December 7th if we end up 3-9 or 4-8, or even 5-7 if OU, Tech, and Baylor hammer us like ND and TCU did. 

I expected TCU to beat us 45-24...Thought our O could score on their supposedly weakened defense......Missed it by 22 pts. 

I expect OU to do about the same......  because we should play hard against them, but they just have too many weapons for this Bedford defense to stop.

Baylor will beat us a bad as they want.....They are so good on offense this year, and their defense is good enough to stop our offense enough to wear us out.

The big question is which Tech team shows up Thanksgiving night. The one that played TCU or the one that played Baylor.

We may be able to play with or beat the later.

WVU at Morgantown ......Maybe we can play over our head and upset them.....

KSU @ DKR ...they own us, but maybe if the kids want to keep Charlie around they will find a way.

ISU could be a toss up, but if Charlie has a prayer of hanging on we have to win this one.

KU ....please...If we can't handle them by 14 or more everyone should be fired......

That puts us at 6-6 and a bowl game to give Charlie a chance to have a winning record and avoid the 6-7 he promised we would not have again....

Thats it..That gives Charlie the time he needs to show he was the right hire and get his 3rd year to prove it.

I have seen nothing on either side of the ball to make me think there is any hope for this particular coaching staff and the HC must take the brunt of the blame.

The only spark so far has been Heard's performance in game three, but that seems tohave been a one-time occurrence.

Rice outgained us by a wide margin, and although that was skewed because of how our special teams performed, Rice is a TERRIBLE team.

Maybe firing all of the assistant coaches would provide some answers, but Strong does not seem to be capable of surrounding himself with competent people.

If someone will point out any facet of the game where there may be something to be hopeful about I would really like to hear about it.

I'll try to retype it here.

= = = = = = = = = = = 

For everyone calling for Strong to be fired what did you expect of this team ?

For Texas to compete against this schedule Texas needed the seniors and juniors to play like competent division 1 football players, the freshmen needed to be allowed to play without being asked to carry the team.

Let's look position by position and what lack of upperclassmen making plays does to the team's record.

At QB, Jr Tyrone Swoopes was not able to keep Fr Jerrod Heard from starting. Not always bad for teams record to play frosh here if talented.

At RB, Sr Johnathan Gray is starting but except for blocking and some big pass plays his play is less than good enough.  Should be passed by Soph D`Onta Foreman. Again not real bad for team's record but need more from Gray.

At WR, Sr`s Johnson and Johnson have been mixed.   Daje has made plays, Marcus has not and his playing time needs to go to So Lorenzo Joe.  This position is negative for team's record.  Needs more big plays.

At TE, So Andrew Beck starts but he needs to be replaced by Jr Caleb Blueitt, otherwise this position contributed nothing to help team's record.

At OL., all 3 Sr`s are just not division 1 players.  Every snap they receive is hurting team's record now and for future. Jr Kent Perkins should be all big12 type guard but playing tackle he is still good.

The FR Williams and Vahe will be all big 12 someday. To be the 2nd best linemen shows why Texas is 1-4 overall.  The o-line is well below what Texas needs.

At DL, the Sr`s and Jr`s need to play more consistent, and playing 3 man lines is a scheme problem Texas has that is on Vance Bedford more than players.

The Fr and Soph will get more time as season goes on.  This group needs to play better with better scheme before they help teams record.

At LB, Sr Peter Jinkens should be all big 12 type player and he`s not close.  His lack of plays has cost Texas games already.  This position should just roll with Malik and the freshmen that are healthy and have Naashon Hughes move to MLB so Malik can play outside.

At DB, the upperclassmen are not getting it done forcing the frosh to play way more than they should.  Besides o-line, the play of the upperclass DB`s is why Texas is losing.

At K, Nick Rose is missing easy kicks costing Texas.

At P, Davison is brand new to football. This is on coaches for not having other option .

Charlie should get at least a third year,  but as discussed the talent level has to be improved and from all indications from other sources  Texas recruiting is not going well at all. There are very few Offensive Lineman that are considering Texas and many of the top High School recruits are saying they have heard very little from Texas this year which to me is not a good sign. If Charlie can put together a strong (no pun intended) recruiting class built on the offensive line and get some tall fast receivers that can stretch the field then he can get a 4th year.  Charlie will make changes with the Coaching  staff after the season but right now he must work with the current staff.  Charlie does have to show that he can take a team with very little talent and still have them compete that is what we are asking Charlie to do. We need to see a team that gets better each and every weak and see them play with enthusiasim and energy that will excite high school recruits into wanting to come and be a part of the Longhorn team. 

Charlie should get at least a third year,  but as discussed the talent level has to be improved and from all indications from other sources Texas recruiting is not going well at all. There are very few Offensive Lineman that are considering Texas and many of the top High School recruits are saying they have heard very little from Texas this year which to me is not a good sign. If Charlie can put together a strong (no pun intended) recruiting class built on the offensive line and get some tall fast receivers that can stretch the field then he can get a 4th year.  Charlie will make changes with the Coaching  staff after the season but right now he must work with the current staff.  Charlie does have to show that he can take a team with very little talent and still have them compete that is what we are asking Charlie to do. We need to see a team that gets better each and every weak and see them play with enthusiasim and energy that will excite high school recruits into wanting to come and be a part of the Longhorn team. 

Texas recruiting is ahead of where it was at this time last year.  Sure there might not be a Malik-mas on the horizon, but at this time last year no one had any real hope of it happening either.

As for OL - Texas is still in it for Jean Delance and Patrick Hudson.

Fans, generally, place way too much emphasis on a teams win/loss record when it comes to recruiting.  While that certainly plays a role, I don't think it is nearly as important as things like playing time/scheme/relationship with coaches.  No recruit wants to go to a place where they'll be embarassed every Saturday - but even with the TCU loss I don't think Texas is even close to that point.

Look at the texts from Chris Warren's mother - she made it very clear that if Strong is gone - then so is her son.  Thats spoeaks volumes about the type of relationship and impression Strong leaves on the parents.

We have nearly 6 years worth of recruiting from Strong as a coach - and that history has shown that over half of his commits come after the season.  We have a top 15 class right now if you look at average player ranking - so he's getting talent.  Texas just needs a few of these late guys to sign and they'll be looking at another really good class (Hudson, Delance, Jackson, Elliot, McCulloch, Cuffee, Jones, Anderson) 

Cut bait now or we will be irrelevant past 2025 and maybe beyond.

AD/President must force Charlie to hire a good staff. If he can't or won't, then ..... see ya.

No amount of talent will win when they are not prepared, and very little talent gets it handed to them like ND, TCU, Arky did to us.

Recruiting OL should be easy, as bad as we need them.....yet we can't get 4* or better guys to come play for us ? Mr defense ( Strong ) should be able to haul in talent, but offensive powerhouses with average defenses ( Baylor, Aggy, etc. ) are beating us for the defensive players. Something is wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Charlie Strong should get another year, although I fear this season is going to be a disaster. Most of the problems are a lack of talent, and that takes time to cure.

But.....part of the problem is the wrong hire at offensive coordinator. To recruit in Texas and play in the Big 12, we must run a spread type offense or something similar. I do not fault Charlie for originally bringing his OC to Texas, but he should have shaken up the offensive staff at the end of last year. So that much is on him.

I am not as worried about recruiting as many are. We are about where we were last year, and by playing so many freshmen this year, it is going to be clear to recruits that they will have a great opportunity to play early at Texas, so this should really help.

At the end of the season, Charlie needs to go out an hire a great offensive coordinator and give him the reins over the offense. If he does not, I fear his tenure would be short, and that would be sad to see. I really like a lot of what he brings to Texas, and think he can be very successful.

Charlie Strong should get the 5 years on his contract.  He should be given the time it was suggested he would get to recruit his guys and win games at a power 5 conference level.  Not giving him that time is, in my opinion, a sign of lack of dedication to long term goals in the service of hoped for short term quick fixes.  I, for one, have more faith in Charlie Strong than in the unknown, as yet unhired "savior" who is likely to follow.  But then I'm old and not very smart.

If Strong were to be let go (he shouldn't be) he would be hired by another school and come back to curb stomp UT. 

Like ou after they fire Bob Stoopid.  No fear of that.  They wouldn't have enough players left to field a team after eliminating the ones who can't live up to Charlie's 5 core values.

Does ou suck?

1) not calling for him to be fired

2) what did I expect? Not for ND and TCU to treat my school like the Freshman B-team. Not asking too much I don't think.

3) paragraphs are good

I think everyone agrees/understands Coach Strong inherited a douche bag of talent from Mack's dying years.

Mack should have been fired or accepted a recommendation of retirement after the 2010 or 2011 seasons.

We're dealing with the aftermath of a poorly managed phase out of an incompetent head coach and AD. 

The players Coach Strong actually recruited and signed March 2015 are similar to the caliber players DKR recruited but DKR's freshmen played in freshmen games. 

Charlie's are playing varsity with little support from upper classmen.

Coach Strong needs his contracted five years to overcome the Mack Brown disaster. I think he will achieve success inside those five years.

I think everyone agrees/understands Coach Strong inherited a douche bag of talent from Mack's dying years.

Mack should have been fired or accepted a recommendation of retirement after the 2010 or 2011 seasons.

We're dealing with the aftermath of a poorly managed phase out of an incompetent head coach and AD.

The players Coach Strong actually recruited and signed March 2015 are similar to the caliber players DKR recruited but DKR's freshmen played in freshmen games.

Charlie's are playing varsity with little support from upper classmen.

Coach Strong needs his contracted five years to overcome the Mack Brown disaster. I think he will achieve success inside those five years.

for the sake of argument let's say Mack left absolutely no viable players from an 8-5 bowl team. Nobody. Not a player.

Do you or anybody think Saban/Urban/Harbaugh would be staring 1-5 in the face mid-season two?

Charlie didn't inherit a great situation. Fine. He hasn't made it better. That's a fact.