Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas vs. TCU (Oct. 3, 2015) Film Review

Ryan Bridges

Identifying the mistakes in these plays was extremely easy. I really don't know what to make of that.

Here's TCU's first touchdown.

WhoppingThornyCopepod.gif

Texas wanted to play two-deep safeties but the motion to a 3x1 set forced them to check to a single-high look — in this case, Cover 3.

TCU runs a Scissors concept — the outside receiver runs a post, the inside receiver runs a corner, so they intersect downfield. When you've got a young secondary, that sort of stuff can cause trouble. In this case, Antwuan Davis chases the post instead of staying in his deep third.

I didn't feel like Holton Hill was doing too terribly against Josh Doctson, but I lost interest in this game pretty quickly, and obviously the coaches felt the need to make a change so I guess I was wrong.

PepperyBigheartedChimneyswift.gif

I don't want to spoil anything, but this isn't the first time TCU scored from an empty set. Texas' check for it seemed to be Cover 1 (man with one deep safety); at least that's what they were running the three times TCU scored from empty. (There was a fourth, but Texas wasn't even lined up so I don't know what coverage they would have run if they'd had the chance.)

Chris Spielman did a great job breaking down Doctson's technique. The coverage by Hill is good, and he damn near got a hand on the ball, but Doctson pushed off like only a veteran can. Hill is going to be a fantastic football player.

I forgot to mention, notice that the receiver who goes in motion is basically uncovered. Naashon Hughes was most likely supposed to run with him. Someone needs to explain how a guy who's playing in his 18th game doesn't know what to do here.

I didn't feel like Holton Hill was doing too terribly against Josh Doctson, but I lost interest in this game pretty quickly, and obviously the coaches felt the need to make a change so I guess I was wrong.

I don't want to spoil anything, but this isn't the first time TCU scored from an empty set. Texas' check for it seemed to be Cover 1 (man with one deep safety); at least that's what they were running the three times TCU scored from empty. (There was a fourth, but Texas wasn't even lined up so I don't know what coverage they would have run if they'd had the chance.)

Chris Spielman did a great job breaking down Doctson's technique. The coverage by Hill is good, and he damn near got a hand on the ball, but Doctson pushed off like only a veteran can. Hill is going to be a fantastic football player. 

Hill did a good job on Doctson. That's no easy task for a true freshman. 

Let me put it this way, Hill did a much better job on Doctson than Duke Thomas. The lack of OL talent we have from previous recruiting classes is something, but to be honest the secondary and LB talent is almost on the same level. I thought Duke showed signs last year, but boy was I wrong. 

When you've played in 44 games with 28 starts at corner, you can't do things like this. 

MiniatureConcreteAtlanticspadefish.gif

It's Cover 2 for Texas with Malik Jefferson spying Trevone Boykin. Duke Thomas has a receiver run into his zone, yet he chases a different receiver out of his zone. P.J. Locke could have kept this to about a 23-yard gain but he whiffed. He's a freshman; Duke is not. 

Here's the next empty set touchdown. 

IllAcclaimedKitfox.gif

Cover 1 again for Texas. You hope you can get something resembling pressure with the five-man rush but that's not possible when the ball is out 1.7 seconds after the snap. Kavontae Turpin ran a 4.60 laser-timed 40 coming out of high school, which should tell you something about laser 40 times. It should also tell you that Peter Jinkens cannot cover him for long — not for more than 1.6 seconds, it turns out. 

I'm also left wondering what game Dylain Haines was watching. Where are you going, dude?

I don't even know if I need to add commentary for this one but I will.

ImpishCavernousGonolek.gif

Empty. Cover 1 — I think ... there's a lot going on off the screen. I had to watch this half a dozen times before I figured out there was another receiver and corner not pictured at the very bottom and that both teams weren't, in fact, playing 10-on-10.

There's no disguise in the secondary, and there's no chance Naashon Hughes is going to be able to cover a 152-pound receiver in space. 

Hard to really blame Jinkens there. Jinkens needed to get some type of bump on Turpin, but that's just a mismatch. 

That play is all on Haines. He has to be there with help over the top. 

Well, the first route that's going to beat him is the slant. So he promptly let the receiver cross his face because why the hell not? I think he was just so concerned with Turpin going vertical, but that's why Haines was over there. 

Well, the first route that's going to beat him is the slant. So he promptly let the receiver cross his face because why the hell not? I think he was just so concerned with Turpin going vertical, but that's why Haines was over there. 

True. In that particular situation it was probably best for Jinkens to force Turpin up field so he could get help from Haines. Just a mismatch all around with how slow Jinkens is. If Jinkens gets any type of bump on Turpin I don't think the play is there regardless. 

This is one of the only areas where Tyrone Swoopes might have an edge over Jerrod Heard.

FaithfulWateryCapybara.gif

First, look at the ridiculously wide WR splits to the field. The goal is to force TCU to choose between playing two-on-two with no other help within 20 yards or drawing a third defender out and opening itself up to the run. TCU acts like they've picked the middle ground, putting the strong safety in an apex position where he can try to play both.

But they're actually going to blitz the strong safety off the edge and play two-on-two on the outside. Heard thinks Texas has the advantage in the run game (they run inside zone read), but they don't. These are the moments when Baylor would recognize the blitz and throw a fade for 30 yards; we run it for 1. 

For what it's worth, I have no clue if there was a pass option built into this play (All-22, please), but there probably was. At least there should be.

It's hard to defend the pass when your linebackers are within two yards of the line of scrimmage engaging blockers at the time the ball is released. 

MetallicAstonishingCapybara.gif

I can't wait for college football to adopt the NFL's ineligible man downfield rule. This one's legal in college but would be against NFL rules.

When you've played in 44 games with 28 starts at corner, you can't do things like this. 

MiniatureConcreteAtlanticspadefish.gif

It's Cover 2 for Texas with Malik Jefferson spying Trevone Boykin. Duke Thomas has a receiver run into his zone, yet he chases a different receiver out of his zone. P.J. Locke could have kept this to about a 23-yard gain but he whiffed. He's a freshman; Duke is not. 

Duke Thomas is a prime example of a upperclassman that shouldnt be starting.  What kills me is when Strong calls out Thomas for his good play.  WTH is that.  Duke does his own thing most of the time and is the pure definition of a non team player.

What the hell made Strong and Bedford think Jinkins & Hughes can cover Turpin in space? Their performances against the scout team in practice? That's a bad scheme and TCU fully exploited it. Only way to simulate Turpin's skills would be to line up or D against Daje or Armanti.

Clearly we didn't do that and weren't prepared for that look under game conditions. 

What the hell made Strong and Bedford think Jinkins & Hughes can cover Turpin in space? Their performances against the scout team in practice? That's a bad scheme and TCU fully exploited it. Only way to simulate Turpin's skills would be to line up or D against Daje or Armanti.

Clearly we didn't do that and weren't prepared for that look under game conditions. 

Time to cut bait....Lets hope boosters see this as well, and realize another year of recruiting will not solve THIS problem.

There was big-play potential here.

AgileAshamedJanenschia.gif

It's an RPO — the run is Power-O, the passes are Foreman on a fade or Marcus Johnson on a bubble screen. The bubble screen is taken away by alignment, so Heard checks the depth of the boundary safety. Heard decides he's too shallow, so he throws the fade; there was no post-snap read.

It's unfair to stop the play where I did to show the run would have been a huge gain, because the boundary safety would have been coming up to make the tackle. My goal was just to show that he'd be the only one, he'd be coming from about 8 yards deep and several yards to the left, and he'd have to navigate through the rest of the blocks. The blocking was as good as it's been all year. A handoff would have netted at least 5-6 yards in my opinion.

The more frustrating part is that this should have been a fairly easy completion. One thing Foreman doesn't have is field awareness. But the throw is great, and I would use this play as an argument for more deep shots downfield, even when the receiver seems to be covered.

This is an oversimplification, but I've got very strong suspicions that Heard is incapable of adjusting on the fly. I think he's at a point where he takes a snapshot before calling for the snap, makes his decision and then nothing can change his mind.

ShockedBareChupacabra.gif

This play works because D'Onta Foreman is a pretty good football player, not because it was the right call. Quick screen to Johnson (too bad it wasn't Daje) or play-action fade to John Burt would have been nice.

Both plays posted above I'm pretty sure the plan was to bring help from Haines and Duke. in other words, they wanted to essentially double Turpin. The mismatches have more to do with Haines and Duke being out of position IMO.

Both plays posted above I'm pretty sure the plan was to bring help from Haines and Duke. in other words, they wanted to essentially double Turpin. The mismatches have more to do with Haines and Duke being out of position IMO.

They're both Cover 1, so Duke wasn't going to be of any use, and Haines is playing centerfield. It's just a mismatch, but I'll make the same argument I made on Shaggy: Who else can you play there? You can't just tell Kris Boyd to go out there and follow #25, because you don't know how TCU is going to line up. It makes sense to me to put a veteran on him, disguise it (which we did — poorly) and hope they can cover a true freshman for at least the first few steps. 

This is the Drive concept that came up last week. I still hate it.

PleasantBrilliantEarthworm.gif

The idea is that if the underneath defender doesn't drop back, the dig will be open. The defender doesn't drop back, but Heard throws the shallow cross anyway. Bad idea. 

Texas needs to add some variety here or something. In this instance and literally every other instance I can think of when Texas has run this, the safety jumps the dig route, so even if Heard made the correct read, the best Texas could hope for would be an incompletion and defensive pass interference ... because the safety runs the route before the receiver can.