Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Official Realignment Thread

BevoBlake

It's become a big topic over the past year and it keeps popping up in random thread. Only seems right to have one official thread for any and all potential realignment discussion. I agree with the likes of JoeyWa in that being reactionary in leaving the BIG 12 due to poor officiating isn't a good look for the University. At the same time, I agree with Randolph and others when they say the writing is on the wall. The Big 12 does appear to be a sinking ship, despite the success of Baylor and TCU of late. Do we ride this thing until it collapses? Is the answer to bring others INTO the Big 12? Or do we bail as soon as possible? 

I'm in favor of moving to the BIG 10 with Oklahoma. I'm interested in that for selfish reasons as it means I'd get to see 2-3 Texas games a year (living in Chicago). But outside of the ACC, I feel like it makes the most sense from an Academic and Athletic standpoint. 

What is the appeal of the Rust Belt league other than you currently reside in Chicago?

Unfortunately, not many people on this board even give a rip about realignment. Trust me, I've tried!  ;)

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/10391-big-12-expansion-project/

Honestly, I just prefer the idea of playing against the likes of Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin over a group of ACC or PAC 12 schools. I could see the value in moving into the PAC 12, I just question if that's feasible at this point. I know a lot of people are high on the ACC but I have to question why. What is the motive behind that move? Outside of Florida State, I don't see another big dog in that conference.

If all the Big 12 teams (except Kansas) would schedule top tier OOC foes, we might get respect, provided we win most of them.

Having said that, I think you guys may be right about needing to change alignment.

As a fan who can only watch the games on TV, I would love to see matchups with the Big 10, although I have reservations about how it would affect our recruiting.

Truth is, I guess I'm just getting old and more resistant to change. Heck, I still miss the old SWC and Kern Tips announcing the games on the radio.

Although it would harm my beloved Horned Frogs, it could not appear more obvious that Texas will go independent. I have heard for years that Texas wants to continue to grow its national brand. The only possible way I see this happening is for Texas to bolt the Big 12 and either align with a conference a la Notre Dame and the ACC or strategically schedule the top programs from each region. For example, assuming keeps the Red River Shootout in place you should either reinstate the Aggie Thanksgiving series or host your annual Tgiving game with an alternating schedule of Tech, TCU and Baylor to keep old matchups alive. Then I would schedule both LA schools, Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State annually. The remaining games coud be whoever because that schedule would already be considered brutal. Any team who survived that gauntlet, even with 1 loss, would have a good chance at the playoff.

As for the Big 12 after Texas, we would probably add Houston, Boise, Colorado State, SMU and Memphis. Not a great Big 12 but definitely viable and with the Longhorns having gone independent we would have our Big 12 Network and try to grow our brand and footprint thereafter.

Honestly, I just prefer the idea of playing against the likes of Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin over a group of ACC or PAC 12 schools. I could see the value in moving into the PAC 12, I just question if that's feasible at this point. I know a lot of people are high on the ACC but I have to question why. What is the motive behind that move? Outside of Florida State, I don't see another big dog in that conference.

Would like your take on the other sports and how this would effect/Affect them..

Would like your take on the other sports and how this would effect/Affect them..

From a Basketball perspective, I think you benefit from this move. Wisconsin, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Illinois typically have reputable programs. We lose Kansas but outside of that, I don't think we lose all that much. OSU and KSU are both good programs but they're easily replaced by half the programs I just listed. 

From a Baseball perspective, we're the big dog wherever we go. That said, I don't know that the Big 10 really helps or hurts. TCU has had a good program lately. Illinois played well last year. I'd love to get your thoughts on this move as you're going to be far more knowledgable than myself. I think the only moves that would put our baseball program in a better position would be the PAC or ACC. 

Basketball may factor into the equation some, but baseball isn't a big revenue producer.

Football was, is, and will always be the focus of any future realignment talks and plans. More than a few of us have said it - Big 12 should've added Louisville at #11 when we had a chance. Bowlsby and leadership team dropped the ball on that one.

Of course, we wouldn't have Coach Strong now if we did...

Basketball may factor into the equation some, but baseball isn't a big revenue producer.

Football was, is, and will always be the focus of any future realignment talks and plans. More than a few of us have said it - Big 12 should've added Louisville at #11 when we had a chance. Bowlsby and leadership team dropped the ball on that one.

Of course, we wouldn't have Coach Strong now if we did...

Somebody enlighten me as to why we could have added Louisville then but not now.  I have heard talk about going after their Athletic Director, why can't we add them to the Big 12 as a program?

Somebody enlighten me as to why we could have added Louisville then but not now.  I have heard talk about going after their Athletic Director, why can't we add them to the Big 12 as a program?

Louisville will be on the hook for a punitive, multi-million dollar buy-out of their ACC media "grant of rights" contract if they leave now. For reference, it cost Maryland $31.3 MM to get out of their ACC deal. Needless to say, that's cost-prohibitive.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/18/6041599/maryland-acc-lawsuit-exit-fees

Conversely, it only cost TCU $5 MM to break their contract with the Big East, Louisville's former conference.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-06-12/big-east-sues-tcu-for-5-million-buyout-fee

Lastly, why would Louisville make a lateral move from one P5 league to another? The Big12 had its chance and didn't act on it.

What realignment?  Is this thread just an exercise in wishful thinking?

The only talk of realignment I've read about is on twitter.  And that was just started by one or two dudes to generate click bait.

Ain't happening for a long, long, long long time.

It's fun to talk about maybe but it is wishful thinking. 

There are probably only 2 scenarios that are really that much better than where we're currently at, SEC or Independent.

And those aren't happening anytime soon. 

I really don't think anything of great significance happens in the way of realignment until there is a major push for balanced conferences and schedules across the board leading to a playoff system like you have in the NFL. 

I alwasy see join this league or that league or add this (mediocre) team or that.  Is there any chance of just starting a brand new conference? Cherry pick a few schools to join say, Texas, TCU or Baylor, OU, OSU, Louisville and then go after some elite teams that need a home or a new home.  ND, Fl St, Miammi, Clemson, Georgia Tech, VT..  

I'm obviously just pulling this out of my rear but why not something brand new?  

I alwasy see join this league or that league or add this (mediocre) team or that.  Is there any chance of just starting a brand new conference? Cherry pick a few schools to join say, Texas, TCU or Baylor, OU, OSU, Louisville and then go after some elite teams that need a home or a new home.  ND, Fl St, Miammi, Clemson, Georgia Tech, VT..  

I'm obviously just pulling this out of my rear but why not something brand new?  

Every team currently in a P5 conference has signed over their TV rights to their respective leagues. Rumor is the SEC doesn't have a Grant of Rights in place, but I find that hard to believe given ESPN's investment in SEC Network. * Movement between P5 leagues is cost-prohibitive and unnecessary.

To NTG's point, major realignment won't occur unless it's a collaborative effort between the P5 leagues. IMHO, the NCAA, ESPN, and the SEC will be reluctant to do so because the status quo is in their best interests. Unless there's a way for everybody to get rich(er).

* DISCLAIMER - Unless you're aggy and need something other than fake army, Collie Station, and a mediocre athletic program to sell

Louisville will be on the hook for a punitive, multi-million dollar buy-out of their ACC media "grant of rights" contract if they leave now. For reference, it cost Maryland $31.3 MM to get out of their ACC deal. Needless to say, that's cost-prohibitive.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/18/6041599/maryland-acc-lawsuit-exit-fees

Conversely, it only cost TCU $5 MM to break their contract with the Big East, Louisville's former conference.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-06-12/big-east-sues-tcu-for-5-million-buyout-fee

Lastly, why would Louisville make a lateral move from one P5 league to another? The Big12 had its chance and didn't act on it.

Thanks, J.B.