Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I like Charlie. A lot.

streettopeschel

This team is going to be 1-5 after the next few weeks, then will win the next 3 and folks will start talking about how they turned the corner...Then we will get beat at WVU , beaten by Tech something like 55-38, then stomped by Baylor......

I can hear the talk now......

Yes its a negative view, but I WILL BE IN DKR when we face Kansas. I will also be there on Thanksgiving night among all the Black and Red clad Raiders fans just like I was among the purple clad Frog fans last year.

Then I will be hoping we can hire Utah's coach ASAP, or anyone who can return Texas to its rightful place.......because this staff isn't doing it.

Maybe I'll have to eat crow, but I have a feeling ya'll will be saying.."Dang that guy and Red were right."

#1  If GBT is not going to be banned, why let him clutter threads with 3 posts in a row?  Just sayin'.  For some reason, I can see a thing he says anyway... :rolleyes:

Now for all of you expressing the slightest displeasure with Strong, get over it.  He is working miracles with this team.

Yesterday was the most embarrassing display of corruption by an officiating crew, or member of an officiating crew, with the others support, that I have seen.  I simply cannot believe that I witnessed it.  Don't argue.  Don't denigrate what I said because I promise, my claws are out, today.

These officials need to be held accountable, they need to be questioned individually (Big 12 offices with Perrin, OSU AD, Bowlsby (that worthless pos, and no Slim), and the head of officials  then they need to be made to explain each call from game film, again individually.  If answers aren't satisfactory, fire them and make adjustments. 

Never, ever allow them to work a game together again.  Fire the worst offender (the one who provoked Strong, motive?), and split the others up, let them fly across the country to officiate other games.  Make it hurt?

What they committed was fraud.  There is no other word to describe it.  Money was won and lost on that game.  One does not tamper with a point spread, and that is exactly what they did, whether that was the motive or not - corruption.

You can blame who you want, but blame yourselves for being shortsighted if you didn't see the phantom calls.  Defensive holding on Poona?  laughable.  Late hit on the qb on Boyds interception?  Get a clue.  No PI against Beck in the end zone.  What?  Did the geezer on the crew take off his glasses?  Nah, guess he was just tired.  Holding on Vahe?  Hahahaha.

If a woman can see a game more clearly than you can, some of you need glasses.

Now, put the game on DVR, and rewatch it, and quit your bitchin'!!

I was dx'd with breast cancer in July and have a good prognosis.  Things look good.  Everything looks good at this point.  Unfortunately I have to begin chemo next week.  I have no intention of reading bullshit on one of my favorite havens each week, just to soothe male egos.  So pay attention to what you say before you say it.  I have a great attitude about the treatment and plan to keep it, but men who should know better posting random crap on the internet, really pisses me off.

Get over yourselves and get over it.

Rant over.

Hook 'em dammit!

Horns, thanks for playing your hearts out.  Coaches, thanks for a really good game plan, and all of your hard work.  Love you, guys.  Really sorry we got jobbed.  We are almost to the point where we are so good, only a fool would try it.

Love the players and coaches! :wub:

java 

Bullshit!

This one was lost by officiating. Pay attention.

Lol yeah, because calling a timeout with 1:30 to go to give the other team enough time to score had nothing to do with it. Being up 3 and getting to close to the refs had nothing to do with it. Calling conservative plays since the mid third quarter had nothing to do with it. With all the bad officiating, they were still up 3 mid 4th, and could do nothing offensively.

#1 If GBT is not going to be banned, why let him clutter threads with 3 posts in a row? Just sayin'. For some reason, I can see a thing he says anyway... :rolleyes:

Now for all of you expressing the slightest displeasure with Strong, get over it. He is working miracles with this team.

Yesterday was the most embarrassing display of corruption by an officiating crew, or member of an officiating crew, with the others support, that I have seen. I simply cannot believe that I witnessed it. Don't argue. Don't denigrate what I said because I promise, my claws are out, today.

These officials need to be held accountable, they need to be questioned individually (Big 12 offices with Perrin, OSU AD, Bowlsby (that worthless pos, and no Slim), and the head of officials then they need to be made to explain each call from game film, again individually. If answers aren't satisfactory, fire them and make adjustments.

Never, ever allow them to work a game together again. Fire the worst offender (the one who provoked Strong, motive?), and split the others up, let them fly across the country to officiate other games. Make it hurt?

What they committed was fraud. There is no other word to describe it. Money was won and lost on that game. One does not tamper with a point spread, and that is exactly what they did, whether that was the motive or not - corruption.

You can blame who you want, but blame yourselves for being shortsighted if you didn't see the phantom calls. Defensive holding on Poona? laughable. Late hit on the qb on Boyds interception? Get a clue. No PI against Beck in the end zone. What? Did the geezer on the crew take off his glasses? Nah, guess he was just tired. Holding on Vahe? Hahahaha.

If a woman can see a game more clearly than you can, some of you need glasses.

Now, put the game on DVR, and rewatch it, and quit your bitchin'!!

I was dx'd with breast cancer in July and have a good prognosis. Things look good. Everything looks good at this point. Unfortunately I have to begin chemo next week. I have no intention of reading bullshit on one of my favorite havens each week, just to soothe male egos. So pay attention to what you say before you say it. I have a great attitude about the treatment and plan to keep it, but men who should know better posting random crap on the internet, really pisses me off.

Get over yourselves and get over it.

Rant over.

Hook 'em dammit!

Horns, thanks for playing your hearts out. Coaches, thanks for a really good game plan, and all of your hard work. Love you, guys. Really sorry we got jobbed. We are almost to the point where we are so good, only a fool would try it.

Love the players and coaches! :wub:

java

TEXAS FIGHT attitude, Java!

We need more like you. What's your time in the forty?

And lol working miracles with this team. Yeah it was a miracle he benched Swoopes. It was also a miracle they lost two weeks in a row due to special teams.

LOL. Yeah that was poor coaching by Traylor that Dickson fumbled the snap and Traylor should have coached Rose better to make that PAT against Cal.

With young players ...... YES patience.........With a 5 million dollar coach making "youth league volunteer" mistakes ....H*** NO !!! 

When I read a post by you GBT I usually just move along and say that is a pessimistic man right there.  He needs to just be patient and wait for the team to develop.  Charlie is doing a good job with what he ws left with.

However, I 100% agree with that last statement.  Going for it on 4th and 12 was a mistake.  Getting a penalty in the closing minutes was a mistake.  I could live with that if that was a HS JV coach doing it, because those games don’t count.  Charlie is getting paid $5 million a year to make the right decisions in the right situations not to just recruit.  

I'm still going to have to have patience, but Charlie does need to be smarter in those situations.

TEXAS FIGHT attitude, Java!

We need more like you. What's your time in the forty?

Why the multiple National Championship years, of course!  Great years.  We expected to win.  It was electric-just like this team becoming.  

I entered UT Fall of 1970, but was a Longhorn long before that, though in top physical condition, I almost had three heart attacks during the 1969 Arkansas game.

I grew up loving football, with a dad who knew more about it than most coaches.  Afraid I inherited the gene.

Thanks, Fish.

Hook 'em! 

The best thing about playing a bunch of freshmen is that in a couple years they will be a bunch of juniors. And all these crybabies talking about Strong will be back on here saying what a good job he is doing when they are a top 5 team. If you dont know enough to watch and realize what we are going through then you dont know football. Sure losses hurt. But if you cant see the big picture then check your gear at the door and go root for baylor or aggy because you are nothing but a bandwaggoner. Charlie is definitely the man for the job and the only thjng he did wrong yesterday was not rip the head off that referee and kick it through the goalposts.

Year One:

• QB transfer falls through, leaving the team with one QB who can run the offense as designed.
  • Said QB is lost for the season in season opener.
  • Only experienced linemen are either lost for the season in the opener or booted because they belong in rehab.

Year Two:

• Texas starts with literally the most difficult schedule in all of college football. 
  • The offensive coordinator forgets the offense he installed and apparently has some bias against Jerrod Heard. (Strong deserves some blame here but only here.)
  • A kicker forgets how to kick. A punter forgets how to punt. An official forgets how to be a professional.

The games aren't played in a vacuum. I challenge you to find a head coach who had success in year one who would have still been successful without the two best offensive linemen and with whichever backup quarterback is most different from the starting quarterback. For example, make Kevin Sumlin's Aggies play their first year with Matt Joeckel at QB and no Luke Joeckel or Jake Matthews.

Now look at this year. If you were surprised by Texas' loss to Notre Dame, it's OK to stop reading — you're probably very confused by a lot of things you've read today, and it's not going to get any easier for you. The Longhorns beat a team they should beat (Rice). They lost by a point to a team that was picked to beat them by a touchdown because they missed a PAT. They lost by a field goal to a team that was picked to beat them by a field goal because they couldn't execute a punt and whatever that officiating was.

The best players on the team right now joined the program under Strong, especially the true freshmen. THAT IS NOT NORMAL. THAT SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE. Malik Jefferson should not be the best linebacker on the team. Connor Williams should not be the best lineman. John Burt should not be the best receiver. Vance shouldn't have to put in Holton freaking Hill and Kris Boyd to shore up the secondary. If those 18- and 19-year-olds are better right now than the 21- and 22-year-olds Mack recruited and "coached," how good do you think they'll be in a year? Two years? Three years?

I could keep going but I'm going to take a break. But if you think Charlie should be fired right now, I encourage you to reply and say as much — I assume there's an ignore feature on the site and I'd like for those worth ignoring to announce their presence now.

You made many of the points I would make. This team is so loaded with freshmen and sophomores one must expect a lot of errors. I have heard it said before that for every freshman you start, it will coast you a game. Well, that is playing out so far. This team is a work in progress. There were a lot of positives in the game against Okie Lite, and we learned a lot, even from the defeat. Our defensive secondary should be much better for the rest of the year as a result. We have seen what can happen when Ridgeway is playing at his best.

On offense, we have discovered the limitations of Heard at QB. We now know that we must have a complete offensive scheme rather than relying on Heard's running to bail out otherwise bad plays. Installing an offense to take advantage of Heard's skills is a work in progress, and it is difficult to do in the middle of the season. Hopefully, we can come up with a passing game that will take into account the seriously inadequate offensive line we have, particularly with Perkins out. The run game needs to be north-south. Our backs cannot run east-west well at all. Perhaps Daje can be put in a 2 back set to help that.

Now I am a guy thinking we have a half full glass rather than the opposite. Charlie Strong has so far done a great job of recruiting, and I expect that to continue. Obviously, there are still a lot of holes to fill up. Offensive and defensive linemen are a must for this cycle. Absolute must! Then we need to work on depth.

I cannot predict how many games we will win this year. The offensive line as a unit is just so bad, it will be very difficult to move the ball on many of the teams that remain on our schedule. Our defense is making visible progress, and I think that will continue. Special teams have their ups and downs.

I feel sorry for our punter. A freshman from Australia that has never played football before. Has a great leg, but not much experience under fire. He will learn from that.

As an aside, he is not the first (or the last) punter to do that at Texas. Back in 1950, with Texas holding on to a 13-7 lead over Oklahoma  late in the fourth quarter, the punter dropped the ball and OU recovered. They went on the score an easy touchdown to win 14-13. OU won the NC that year. Texas was #2 after beating the then #1 SMU later in the season. So that drop cost us a National Championship. So don't anybody be hard on this kid. He will be fine.

Judge...when you quoted Street...you left out that part of Street's post that said ..."

I like Charlie. A lot.

And then Street went on to just post some mild commentary that I took to mean..."hey..'''if I didn't like Charlie so much, I'd be a little upset about the way things have been going". I agreed with him.

It's rare rare rare that I disagree with your posts, but this is one of those occasions in which I think you've been totally unfair with your criticism of what is actually just mild commentary on what's happened over the last year and a half.

If you want to be pissed at someone..it ought not be Street (or me).. There is other stuff being posted that is not less than 10 times as critical of Charley as what Street posted.  

You are right, of course. Our record is a result of having to play kids that  either aren't very good, or are very inexperienced. I like Charlie, and am a bit too sensitive when folks immediately want to blame the coach. Our losses have not been a result of poor coaching, but of lack of experienced talent. The best talent for the most part are freshmen and sophomores, with only a few exceptions. It is very difficult to win with that combination, whoever the coach may be.

SHA is right to counsel patience. We are a couple of years away.

Year One:

• QB transfer falls through, leaving the team with one QB who can run the offense as designed.
  • Said QB is lost for the season in season opener.
  • Only experienced linemen are either lost for the season in the opener or booted because they belong in rehab.

Year Two:

• Texas starts with literally the most difficult schedule in all of college football. 
  • The offensive coordinator forgets the offense he installed and apparently has some bias against Jerrod Heard. (Strong deserves some blame here but only here.)
  • A kicker forgets how to kick. A punter forgets how to punt. An official forgets how to be a professional.

The games aren't played in a vacuum. I challenge you to find a head coach who had success in year one who would have still been successful without the two best offensive linemen and with whichever backup quarterback is most different from the starting quarterback. For example, make Kevin Sumlin's Aggies play their first year with Matt Joeckel at QB and no Luke Joeckel or Jake Matthews.

Now look at this year. If you were surprised by Texas' loss to Notre Dame, it's OK to stop reading — you're probably very confused by a lot of things you've read today, and it's not going to get any easier for you. The Longhorns beat a team they should beat (Rice). They lost by a point to a team that was picked to beat them by a touchdown because they missed a PAT. They lost by a field goal to a team that was picked to beat them by a field goal because they couldn't execute a punt and whatever that officiating was.

The best players on the team right now joined the program under Strong, especially the true freshmen. THAT IS NOT NORMAL. THAT SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE. Malik Jefferson should not be the best linebacker on the team. Connor Williams should not be the best lineman. John Burt should not be the best receiver. Vance shouldn't have to put in Holton freaking Hill and Kris Boyd to shore up the secondary. If those 18- and 19-year-olds are better right now than the 21- and 22-year-olds Mack recruited and "coached," how good do you think they'll be in a year? Two years? Three years?

I could keep going but I'm going to take a break. But if you think Charlie should be fired right now, I encourage you to reply and say as much — I assume there's an ignore feature on the site and I'd like for those worth ignoring to announce their presence now.

Also, if you think Charlie should be fired right now then your agreeing with GBT! :D

Oh fun. I appreciate your identifying yourselves, guys.

Lol these last two games were lost by lack of discipline and playcalling. Not talent.

Why was Bonney pulled? Why do opposing offenses continue to target Haines and Jinkens? What goes into making an extra point and does it involve talent? Why are the best offensive linemen freshmen? How many Big 12 running backs would start over ours and how many hands do you need to count them?

4th and 12 from the 40...you go for it...Doesn't sound like the guy who made that decision has much understanding of the game....and no it isn't the same as the Pirate's decisions etc...In that situation yesterday...with our team........ YOU PUNT THE BALL !!!!!!!!! They got a field goal because that call. We lived in our end of the field from then on.

Lets not forget THE COACHES said our defensive front was the strongest part of our team......Obviously they don't know much more than the average Joe.

Great argument, except Oklahoma State went three plays for -4 yards after that call. In fact, they had run 14 plays for 30 yards their previous three possessions. And you disagree that our defensive line is the strongest unit of the team — NAME THE UNIT THAT IS STRONGER. 

Ryan Bridges.....Who did Mack have at QB when he nearly  WON the Big 12 ? 

A senior quarterback who had appeared in 21 games and had half a season of starts under his belt. And don't pretend like that's the only difference between that team and this one. That was a team with an offensive line that included two upperclassmen who are on NFL rosters, a veteran catch-everything WR named Jaxon Shipley instead of ... I can't even think of an equivalent on this roster, Mike Davis instead of Marcus Johnson, a pre-Achilles tear Johnathan Gray with Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron, and a defense with I believe seven upperclassmen who are now on NFL rosters (Jeffcoat, Reed, Malcom Brown, Hicks, Diggs, Phillips, Mykkele, Byndom). 

Also, this is fun revisionism. You're going to pretend anyone thought Texas might actually win the Big 12 on merit? Oklahoma State would have finished second were it not for a collapse in Bedlam shortly before the Baylor game. OSU beat Texas 38-13. Texas needed overtime to beat Clint Tricket-less West Virginia. And I don't think anyone believes Texas was actually better than that Oklahoma team they beat — the Oklahoma team that went on to dismantle Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. 

You are usually positive, texbound, and we appreciate that.

What we don't know is, did Charlie really do something or say something to draw the flag?...or did an egotistical referee throw it because Charlie had the audacity to question his call? Judging Charlie on that would require a WAG, IMHO.

I agree.  I have no idea what was said during that exchange.  it is unprofessional for the ref to do that instead of walking away.  I've been thrown out of a couple of my HS basketball games because the ref was baiting me whenever he made a call. I got thrown out of a game because I turned to my team and sad, "we're just going to have to fight through this". I guess he took it as if I was saying this is dirty or he sucks.  He gave me two T's and I was done.  I filed a complaint but it didn't matter. I just figured that's at HS and that would not happen at a division 1, nationally televised game.  So I just assumed Strong said something in the heat of the moment.  I should not assume anything.  The jury is still out on that one. 

With all that said, the mismanagement of timeouts at the end, the going for it on 4th and 12 are what stands out to me.  I could understand if it was 4th and 5 or less. I know they didn't do anything after that drive, but we needed to flip the field and punting would've most likely done that. Five million dollars a year is a lot of money to pay someone for not making the right decisions in those situations. I know he didn't drop the snap on the punt, but he did contribute to the loss. I saw a game earlier this year where Petrino at Louisville made some bonehead decisions against Clemson regarding timeouts and it cost them the game.  If I did that at my job I would be reprimanded or possibly fired if I made bonehead decisions.  I’m not saying strong should be fired.  I absolutely like what he is doing, but he does need to be accountable for those decisions.  I’m still positive and will be patient, but Strong is being paid a lot of money to make the right and tough decisions under pressure situations.  It’s a hard job and not many of us can do it (I know I couldn’t), but he knew what he was getting into.  That's all I'm saying.

Context, an important thing. 

The 4th down play (it was 4th & 10, btw, in case facts matter in this discussion) came after Oklahoma State's offense had:

• Run 3 plays for -7 yards
  • Run 5 plays for 12 yards that ended with a pick-six
  • Run 6 plays for 25 yards that ended with a pick

They were not moving the ball, and Rudolph was NOT throwing the ball well. I think his hand was hurt. The announcers did as well. The coaches have eyes and consciousness, so they probably did as well. The OSU offense had not been a threat to anyone but itself. That continued to be the case, by the way — they went three-and-out on the next two series. The field goal mentioned earlier was imaginary. 

And as for flipping the field, Texas was on the OSU 39. There was no field to flip. You might gain 30-35 yards from a punt; more likely it would have been a touchback and you'd gain 14 yards. If you've ever heard of Kevin Kelley, you know why that would be pointless.

I'll entertain an argument that Texas should have punted, but to pretend that call had any affect on the game's outcome is ... let's call it wishful thinking.

I guess Charlie needs to do a better job coaching Poona not to hold.

bc95e75445ba5420c0501d0a608347e2_zpsn1yk

Word placement is everything ... I think he was penalized for BEING held!  Why!  I was penalized when my wife was holding this morning while I was trying to get a little bit more sleep ... oh, Never mind!  ;)

I like Strong as a coach too. Hope he is given time to prove himself. However afraid he will not be around after 2017. Next year will be the same as this year more losses. Look at the OL 3 losses. Who will replace them? They could not replace Perkins the offense what little there was fell apart after he went down.

Reffs was bad but poor coaching decisions cost as much as the refs. IMO Texas has few players who could start or play for good teams. Except for Kansas who do you think where else does anyone see a victory.