Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 Recruiting Thread

HornSports Staff

.....Lastly, players like Chris Daniels and Michael Williams deserve mention, but my concern with them is whether they are as likely to provide impact early.

Have you had the chance to look at Daniels?

As a junior, he was lighter and played a 3 but he apparently bulked up this season and may be an NT now?

Kyle Porter --

“I just don’t really do well with a lot of attention.  That’s just the way I am.  I understand it comes with the game I love, but I just want to go out there and play. I could care less about interviews. I just love football. .......... I’m thinking about getting a Twitter (laughing).   I’m not sure if I would post that on there or post anything.  My friends are trying to convince me, so I might do it… or maybe I’ll just wait until I’m like 20.â€

“I like the Texas coaching staff.  That’s personally my favorite thing.  If they stick around there, they are going to build something special.  They are going to have a bright future.  They’re just working to get it back up.  I’m not worried about stability.  They’re there now, and that’s all that matters.â€

“Coach Vaughn and Coach Robinson have been recruiting me hard.  Coach Vaughn calls me all the time. We talk about everything from going there to getting the right education and things like that.  I like them...... I’ve talked to Coach Strong a little bit.  I like that he’s straightforward. He doesn’t play any games. He straight up tells you how he feels. I really like that. I just want to sit down and meet with him and ask a lot of questions.â€

Also looking at TCU & pigpen

Chris Hummer CBd Porter to Texas today.  There are 7 CBs total (4 of them to Texas), but only the last 3 (all Texas) were done this year. 

Kyle Porter --

“I just don’t really do well with a lot of attention. That’s just the way I am. I understand it comes with the game I love, but I just want to go out there and play. I could care less about interviews. I just love football. .......... I’m thinking about getting a Twitter (laughing). I’m not sure if I would post that on there or post anything. My friends are trying to convince me, so I might do it… or maybe I’ll just wait until I’m like 20.â€

“I like the Texas coaching staff. That’s personally my favorite thing. If they stick around there, they are going to build something special. They are going to have a bright future. They’re just working to get it back up. I’m not worried about stability. They’re there now, and that’s all that matters.â€

“Coach Vaughn and Coach Robinson have been recruiting me hard. Coach Vaughn calls me all the time. We talk about everything from going there to getting the right education and things like that. I like them...... I’ve talked to Coach Strong a little bit. I like that he’s straightforward. He doesn’t play any games. He straight up tells you how he feels. I really like that. I just want to sit down and meet with him and ask a lot of questions.â€

Also looking at TCU & pigpen

Chris Hummer CBd Porter to Texas today. There are 7 CBs total (4 of them to Texas), but only the last 3 (all Texas) were done this year.

I like the sound of what Mr. Porter is talking.

Nahlin put out his percentages --

DT Stephon Taylor: It's bizarre to feel this good about Taylor at this point but all indications from all over the map are that Texas leads. My TCU source says they're out. My OU guy thinks it's Texas. Taylor has always raved about Texas. He's never expressed much interest in LSU and they're not that interested in him at this point. I hear Alabama is no longer the concern I once feared. One thing to keep in mind is my LSU guy who loves Taylor's upside thinks he's an NFL LT. This class shouldn't lack for LT candidates, that's for sure.

Percentage: 80%

-----------------

DB Brandon Jones: The person I met with this past week was really optimistic and he talks with Jones frequently. Another source told us Jones was very concerned about Traylor leaving. That's an excellent sign because Traylor isn't going anywhere. A&M is still a mild concern but I'm feeling good here. When I told a source you could see Jones as a 'Texas kid' from a mile away he agreed. Jones will OV on the 15th, so yeah, huge weekend.

Percentages: 80%

----------------

DT D'Andre Christmas-Giles: This is an interesting one. He's told people at Texas it's Texas. He's told a guy in Louisiana it's Texas. Justin has heard TCU and my TCU guy won't talk to me about DC-G but will about contracts and the like. So, it's odd that's being kept hush from me. I was curious about his size and I hear he's right at 6-2. As far as his grades I'm still hearing conflicting things so I'll sit tight on that topic for now. Of note, it was my LSU guy who told me they had grade concerns and then they offered three weeks later.

Percentages: 70%

Juan,

Is this the first you have heard of grades being an issue with D'Andre Christmas-Giles?  If LSU had concerns about his grades, that does not bode well for us. Its definitely easier to get into LSU than UT.

This is one part of recruiting I dont like discussing on a board.  Generally (Devo & Gilbert Johnson notwithstanding), UT is pretty good at this stuff.   For example, I do think this is why we did not pursue Blacklock this year.  Overall, Texas gets a high percentage of people in.  Last year we probably had no choice but to take a few more grade risks.  I think it happens less going forward.

Giles is a beast IMO.  The main reason he is not rated higher is that he did not play as a junior and so the only film on him going into the year was as a sophomore.   And his senior film is pretty impressive.  That film is all highlights, I get it, but he still blows people up.  I think he does that better than any of our other DT recruits.  So we take the risk.  And (I hope!) otherwise load up on the position.

This is one part of recruiting I dont like discussing on a board.  Generally (Devo & Gilbert Johnson notwithstanding), UT is pretty good at this stuff.   For example, I do think this is why we did not pursue Blacklock this year.  Overall, Texas gets a high percentage of people in.  Last year we probably had no choice but to take a few more grade risks.  I think it happens less going forward.

Giles is a beast IMO.  The main reason he is not rated higher is that he did not play as a junior and so the only film on him going into the year was as a sophomore.   And his senior film is pretty impressive.  That film is all highlights, I get it, but he still blows people up.  I think he does that better than any of our other DT recruits.  So we take the risk.  And (I hope!) otherwise load up on the position.

I agree talking about grades and qualification issues can be a little dicey. 

Here is something on McCollum from a few days ago

aggy has another OT commit we might try to poach

Ryan McCollum (6'6,270) is from Klein Oak grew up a Texas fan

We had contacted him prior to the dead season

And Mattox recruited him while at Tulsa

Football Brainiacs say they chatted up McCollum and, in their opinion, he may be flippable

http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-McCollum-59785

— Twitter API (@twitterapi) November 7, 2011