Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

View from the Cheap Seats-Cal

echeese

What do y'all think of Jonathan Gray this year? I can't explain it or put my finger on it, but sometimes he just goes down so easily and looks so un-explosive (see kick return in which he only got it to our five yard line). 

Any thoughts? Idk if it is mental or physical problems, but when he is going down so easily it is better to put in a young gun than just continuing to strut J-Gray out there.

What do y'all think of Jonathan Gray this year? I can't explain it or put my finger on it, but sometimes he just goes down so easily and looks so un-explosive (see kick return in which he only got it to our five yard line). 

Any thoughts? Idk if it is mental or physical problems, but when he is going down so easily it is better to put in a young gun than just continuing to strut J-Gray out there.

I think Gray may be trying to do too much.  He may be overthinking things and instead of just hitting the hole hard, he is becoming indecisive and tentative.  He knows this is his last shot to try and prove he is NFL worthy, and instead of playing loose and without abandoned, he is trying too hard to make something happen.  Just my opinion, I could be way off.

I think Gray may be trying to do too much.  He may be overthinking things and instead of just hitting the hole hard, he is becoming indecisive and tentative.  He knows this is his last shot to try and prove he is NFL worthy, and instead of playing loose and without abandoned, he is trying too hard to make something happen.  Just my opinion, I could be way off.

Think you are onto something. . .

He's been money in the passing catching game but average in the run game and poor in pass pro. . . . 

Do you think maybe he's still worried about popping that tendon again?

I think Gray may be trying to do too much. He may be overthinking things and instead of just hitting the hole hard, he is becoming indecisive and tentative. He knows this is his last shot to try and prove he is NFL worthy, and instead of playing loose and without abandoned, he is trying too hard to make something happen. Just my opinion, I could be way off.

as good an explanation as any. Hope he/they can fix it. Need someone other than JH to make plays.

My observation is Gray always tries to bounce things outside rather than planting his foot and go. Sometimes 3 yards is a good run based on what the defense gives you. Beats the hell outta no gain or TFL

Nice writeup Cheese.

Agree that our D looks real bad....I won't compare to the Diaz fiasco, because hopefull that was a once in a lifetime occurance, like a 500 year hurricane.

But I do think it is valid to compare to the Reese years, based no missed tackles.

We also are as you said completely vulnerable to the the straight dive gash. Blows the mind, huge holes and no one in the secondary to make that stop....or they miss the tackle.

While Muschamp overall was a good DC, he too was susceptable to the gash as well.

I think to some degree these great SEC DC's are continuing to see that the old school ways don't work so well against these high octane O's. See Bama and Ole Miss, Bama has more talent on D than anything south of the NFL, and also proven coaching....but yet give up 43.....Anyone really believe Saban wants to slow down O's because of worry about the players?

Finally, we have 2 years of issues with handling halftime adjustments by the other coaches....as you say, this game shows that it is not all the D's tired from the O not moving the ball.

A D can get itself off the field anytime, if it executes.

Ultimately, in order to win today, big time, you better have a damn good playmaker at QB...this theory of only need someone to manage the O....strictly leads to mediocrity.

I really like Gray, but I think there is an issue there within his own head. The tendon fear may be exactly what you're talking about. In talking to a couple ofml orthopedists this week, that very thing was discussed-overcoming your brain and fear of reinjury when the surgical procedure has completely healed.