Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
longhorn_mig

Patterson Out

Rumors starting on HD that Strong might bolt to Miami

I'm not buying it. The only reason anyone IS buying it is because the school is based in Florida where Strong has an established pipeline. One of the biggest reasons why Patterson appears to be out at Texas is because he lost the coaches. That to me indicates that Strong would prefer a new AD, which he is now getting. Strong isn't the kind of man to simply back out of a project. I think he genuinely loves this program and he's just getting started. I would be shocked if he left this early.

In no way should they hire an AD 'for Strong', but one of the best candidates out there also happens to be one of Strongs biggest supporters and someone Strong considers very important in his life - Louisville AD Tom Jurich.

Here's where it gets dicey for Jurich...he hired Bobby Patrino again. 

For whomever does become the new AD, I hope folks understand that they're not going to start their job off reversing the things that Patterson did. Sure, we likely won't be pushing for Mexico or Dubai anymore. So that is a good thing. But stuff like being able to leave the stadium and etc., I expect that stuff to stick.

If they visited the UT-Ex center this past weekend and saw how depleted of people it was they would. Yes you can go there but only via one gate like you're cattle. You're also supposed to get stamped at the EX center before you return but the ones I talked to had no idea about any stamps. Needless to say for something you knew about months going it, it was a cluster.

This is a quote

- "Today we began to hear the rumors that Coach Strong is ready to bolt for the Miami job, or should I say rumor has it that he would leave Texas for Miami."

Please no

Charlie Strong has a contract. He isn't leaving for anywhere.

Tom Jurich is the guy we want. He and Strong had a great relationship at Louisville. Jurich is singularly suited to clean up the mess that Patterson created and move UT athletics forward.

I was told we have 75 million dollars tied up in athletic dept salaries. And finding another 1.5 mil a year for a new AD will be next to impossible. Any thoughts on our money issues or do we have money to hire someone not named Mack Brown

Patterson bloated administrative overhead by more than $5 million/year. There is PLENTY of fat to be cut in the budget.

UT athletics has no revenue problem. It has a fiscal responsibility problem that Steve Patterson didn't want to be bothered with.

I was told we have 75 million dollars tied up in athletic dept salaries. And finding another 1.5 mil a year for a new AD will be next to impossible. Any thoughts on our money issues or do we have money to hire someone not named Mack Brown

Letting Patterson go just got Texas it's money tree back. We'll have the funds.

Anyone leaving the Texas job for Miami would be potential career suicide.  "The U" isn't what it once was, and I'd expect a whole lot of crazy rumors to start flying from multiple sites.

Strong's core values wouldn't fly at the U.

If Strong bolts for Miami, then he wasn't the man for the job, and realized he was in over his head. I don't see the happening, unless he fails and the seat gets hot. Another possibility is he could get pressure to change assistant coaches, and balk at that.....If that be the case, he needs to go anyway, because it will be obvious he made some poor choices if that comes to pass.

One thing to consider about Strong rumors would be that it would be much easier to win a conference title at Miami than at Texas. Who does Miami have to contend with compared to OU, TCU, Baylor ? There is also recruiting to take into account. Florida is a great base for him, and he doesn't have but FSU and Florida  to contend with there. In Texas he has TCU, Baylor, Aggy, OU, along with others who poach our talent. Coaches are not loyal to a school. The are loyal to the $$$$ and the easiest route to winning. Its not going to be easy returning Texas to the elite. 

So here's what I'm getting from my source:

The last straw was the coaches meetings last week. They absolute despised Steve Patterson

On top of this Steve Patterson was arguing with Fenves about the timing of the Erwin Center demo. He believed that UT could delay the med school, until Steve Patterson got the city to gift UT a billion dollars to build an arena, hence the stat the Athletic Department put out about Texas athletics bringing +$700mill into Austin. None of this was going to happen.

Fenves met with big donors and alums in Dallas 2 weeks ago and then some from Houston over the weekend. Big donor from Dallas said yesterday Steve Patterson would be gone before Fenves was inaugurated Thursday.

Mack was initially considered for interim until they hire some one full time.

As I reported here Mike Perrin will be interim. Mack had conflicts and felt awkward working over Strong so soon. 

Who is Mike Perrin? In short, he's a well repected Houston atty and clos to sever big athletics council people. He's a solid, reliable guy with UT credentials and someone to ease the minds of coaches and calm down alums.

The decision to fire Patterson was made a few weeks ago, but Fenves made the call yesterday after meetings with the coaches.

Mack was asked to be interim as a courtesy, but politely declined and gave input.