Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
longhorn_mig

Patterson Out

What would this mean for Strong?  I would assume that with Patterson gone, he may not have the leeway to truly get this thing turned around...

I don't think it matters who the AD is - as long as Texas doesn't have a monumental melt down on the field Strong will get at least three years.

I don't think it matters who the AD is - as long as Texas doesn't have a monumental melt down on the field Strong will get at least three years.

Agreed. Strong has a great reputation in the football world. Everyone and their Uncle Bert's goat knows that we're in the process of turning things around. Strong will get the same amount of time with the new AD as he would have had with Patterson. If not more.

I hope anyone on the committee who contributed to the hiring of Patterson is disqualified for the search for his successor.

It's my understanding that the committee had decided on Oliver Luck. But Powers and Co. decided to go another route (Patterson). 

If anything, it sounds like we should trust our committee. Oliver Luck would have been a much better hire.

Source tells @FoxSports "Not sure it'll go thru, but there will be a big push for Mack (Brown) to become the next AD at #Texas."

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) September 15, 2015

Either Bohls or Davis is reporting that Fenves met with Mack earlier in the week but that he is not under consideration for the position.

Yeah the timing sucks. I believe he needed to go, but just bad timing.

Patterson kind of reminds me of John Mackovic. Was smart and did some good things, however those were overshadowed by the things he missed and above all just did not "fit in" with the Texas crowd.

Yeah the timing sucks. I believe he needed to go, but just bad timing.

Patterson kind of reminds me of John Mackovic. Was smart and did some good things, however those were overshadowed by the things he missed and above all just did not "fit in" with the Texas crowd.

Timing might suck (although I'm not sure what would be a 'good time' to fire the AD) - but Patterson neede to be removed immediately.  The longer he sat in that office the more talented people were going to leave the administration.

For whomever does become the new AD, I hope folks understand that they're not going to start their job off reversing the things that Patterson did. Sure, we likely won't be pushing for Mexico or Dubai anymore. So that is a good thing. But stuff like being able to leave the stadium and etc., I expect that stuff to stick.

I just hope the new AD gives Strong two more years ( providing he finishes top 3 in the big 12 next year ) to fix the program. He should finish top 3 next year and seriously contend; if not win the title the following year. OU, Baylor, and TCU are not going away, so there is no guarantees as far as winning conference titles go. Mack only won a couple and he only had OU to deal with.

I mid-September, this has a reactionary feel to it. I hope that Fenves et al are using good logic and not letting emotional check-writers have undue influence.

I might be wrong, but I don't believe McRaven would allow a knee jerk decision. Given his background I believe any decision of this magnitude will be well thought out and planned.

That's not to say that they didn't consider the input and opinion of the coaches and all donors who are frustrated with Patterson but I have complete confidence this decision was not just a reaction to make them happy.