Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prayers for the Cotcher family

Aaron Carrara

• Administrators

I'm lucky, Duke, they caught mine pretty early. I've also tolerated treatment pretty well.

Thank you for adding me. People have very supportive, and it's amazing how much the support helps.

Java, you are in our thoughts and prayers.  Take good care of yourself - we support you in your recovery 100%!

As far as Matt's dad is concerned, you guys please continue to keep the Cotcher family in your thoughts and prayers. His dad is at peace now but the family is still, as you can imagine, grieving.  I'm proud to call Matt a friend because of the unselfish and committed person he is. 

I won't go on because I feel like it isn't my place to get into details, but I know Matt appreciates the support and kind words of encouragement.

Thank you, Duke. Please don't be surprised if I take you up on that. I get to Austin whenever it is possible, and I'm suffering withdrawal right now because, with all of the treatment, there has been no time to visit my favorite city since last July.

My last radiation treatment was yesterday. Yeah! I have a few pretty significant burns, but they are tolerable and will begin to heal now that treatment is over. After treatment yesterday, I got to work and there were a dozen of the most beautiful roses and two gift certificates for 'pure indulgence' from my family and several of my closest friends of 30+ years. I was incredibly touched.

The support has been overwhelming, and I cannot tell you how much it helps. I don't believe that I was ever depressed during this entire time. Sure there were good days and tough days. In the beginning, I was shocked and then terrified. At times, I was a little down, but never depressed. I attribute that to the tremendous support of family, close friends, the kindness of strangers, and the support of this Longhorn community.

It may be hard to believe, but having spent so much time at MDA, having cancer treatment provides entre into an exclusive club. No one wants to pay the price of entry, but once you do, you are in. It's very difficult to understand, but it is exclusive. I decided long ago that I wanted to contribute to the fight that others have in front of them, rather hurt their efforts. Dennis was my role model and hero.

To that end, let me give all of you a word of wisdom. Ask your wives and other women you love to go to top notch mammography centers. Not all certified centers are created equal. I plan to have 3D mammograms in the future at MDA. I have been told by some the 3D's are unnecessary, but my radiation oncologist volunteered at my last appointment that she has the 3D every year. She is rated as one of the foremost oncologists in the world. They cost an extra $60.00. Just an FYI. When she volunteered that information, I hadn't asked for advice or mentioned follow-up checkups.

Thanks, Duke.

Take care. I don't know if I will be able to make it to the Spring Game. It would be great, but I am way behind on many things I'm already trying to catch up, but it's more than a weekend of 'stuff'. If I don't make it, please cheer for the good guys for me, please.

Hook 'em!

Thank you, Duke. Please don't be surprised if I take you up on that. I get to Austin whenever it is possible, and I'm suffering withdrawal right now because, with all of the treatment, there has been no time to visit my favorite city since last July.

My last radiation treatment was yesterday. Yeah! I have a few pretty significant burns, but they are tolerable and will begin to heal now that treatment is over. After treatment yesterday, I got to work and there were a dozen of the most beautiful roses and two gift certificates for 'pure indulgence' from my family and several of my closest friends of 30+ years. I was incredibly touched.

The support has been overwhelming, and I cannot tell you how much it helps. I don't believe that I was ever depressed during this entire time. Sure there were good days and tough days. In the beginning, I was shocked and then terrified. At times, I was a little down, but never depressed. I attribute that to the tremendous support of family, close friends, the kindness of strangers, and the support of this Longhorn community.

It may be hard to believe, but having spent so much time at MDA, having cancer treatment provides entre into an exclusive club. No one wants to pay the price of entry, but once you do, you are in. It's very difficult to understand, but it is exclusive. I decided long ago that I wanted to contribute to the fight that others have in front of them, rather hurt their efforts. Dennis was my role model and hero.

To that end, let me give all of you a word of wisdom. Ask your wives and other women you love to go to top notch mammography centers. Not all certified centers are created equal. I plan to have 3D mammograms in the future at MDA. I have been told by some the 3D's are unnecessary, but my radiation oncologist volunteered at my last appointment that she has the 3D every year. She is rated as one of the foremost oncologists in the world. They cost an extra $60.00. Just an FYI. When she volunteered that information, I hadn't asked for advice or mentioned follow-up checkups.

I've lost contact with most of my age level peers at MDA.  (There are so many young, brilliant oncologists today).  However, Debu Tripathy and I still attend a few luncheons now and then.

It is smart for women to be judicious with mammograms.  However, and by the same token, it is equally smart for men to be consistent with prostate exams.  Cancer is more prevalent among us older fellows, but cancer doesn't care how old you are - bottom line.