Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas to charge Texas Tech Band Admission Fee

HornSports Staff

I was more down on this before I found out that Texas Tech charges other bands to attend TTU games. I still don't like it. I'm not a fan of any school charging any school's band for admission. But Texas Tech doesn't have the right to whine or complain about this given they do the same thing.

Per the latest reports (and patterson himself) - all of the Texas schools in the Big12 agreed to this deal.  They are all going to charge each other for the band's tickets.

Charging bands is an idea that makes little sense. I know the press covering UT athletics lacks the testicular fortitude to ask direct, pointed questions of Steve Patterson out of fear of having their credentials revoked, but I would love to hear from Steve why this makes sense for the university. The Big 12 does not have a policy where all schools charge each other. This was entirely Steve Patterson's idea. If Patterson is claiming this is coming from the Big 12 office, he is lying.

Most importantly, here is yet again another instance where the incompetence of the university's Athletic Director is causing harm to the UT brand. The optics of this from the outside are atrocious. The way this is being reported in the press makes it appear the university is unilaterally charging opposing bands for attendance. Patterson should have gotten in front of this before it hit the press and made sure the facts were available so the perceptions that are out there now wouldn't have been created.

I firmly believe Patterson is a cancer on the university's athletics program. Here is simply another example of how Patterson is in far over his head as AD at Texas in that he is tone deaf to criticism, he is utterly incapable of managing the university's brand in the media and his lack of collaborative instincts causes him to seem arrogant and highly condecending. Patterson simply doesn't seem to care how the university's brand is being tarnished. Managing the brand is one of his primary responsibilities.

Coach Strong demonstrated his understanding of his responsibilities to the university when he demoted Shawn Watson this week. I only wish Greg Fenves had the same level of integrity.

Here is the clip of SVP discussing this stupid Patterson idea with Chip Brown:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13621521

Here's the way I look at this, as well as the ticket price increases and other things that are getting more expensive in College Football.

Anyone that didn't see this coming when the athlete stipends were announced simply were't paying attention. Schools have to try and make up the money $3000.00 - $6000.00 per student/athlete per year. They were never going to just take the stipend money off of the bottom line, no school will. That's the way I understand it anyway. Everything will be more expensive across the board at pretty much every school. It may not be taking place as fast as it is at Texas, but it should eventually reach every school.

• Administrators

" I know the press covering UT athletics lacks the testicular fortitude to ask direct, pointed questions of Steve Patterson out of fear of having their credentials revoked, but I would love to hear from Steve why this makes sense for the university." - R. Duke

Steve Patterson regularly declines interview requests. There are plenty of media members willing to ask direct questions.