Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack Brown says it's not his fault

betogonzalez

This isn't the NFL - Strong can't turn over 75% of the roster in one season. College coaches to a certain degree are at the mercy of the recruiting/development talents of the coach who just got fired.

Mack had some terrible recruiting years before he left - despite what the Rivals and 247's of the world will tell you. Look at the Junior and Seniors on this team - the lack of talent is embarrassing. Look at how many Freshman and RS Freshman played last week.

Ultimately Strongs success or failures will be his own - but thats only after he's had a chance to bring in his own players and develop his own program. At this point Strong has had exactly one recruiting class.

Well said.

Like you said, just look at the JRs. and SRs on the roster. It's bad, really bad. Out of the guys I listed the only guys with NFL potential might only be Ridgeway and Gray. Maybe Desmond Jackson and Duke Thomas? 

SRs

Desmond Jackson

Taylor Doyle

Sedrick Flowers

Marcus Hutchins

Dalton Santos

Alex De La Torre

Johnathan Gray

Sheroid Evans

Nick Rose

Duke Thomas

Peter Jinkens

Marcus Johnson

Daje Johnson

Shiro Davis

JRs

Dylan Haines

Jacorey Warrick

Bryson Echols

Tyrone Swoopes

Kevin Vaccaro

Adrian Colbert

Nick Jordan

Timothy Cole

Caleb Bluiett

Brandon Hodges

Kent Perkins

Bryce Cotrell

Quincy Vasser

Paul Boyette 

Alex Norman 

Hassan Ridgeway

Like you said, just look at the JRs. and SRs on the roster. It's bad, really bad. Out of the guys I listed the only guys with NFL potential might only be Ridgeway and Gray. Maybe Desmond Jackson and Duke Thomas? 

SRs

Desmond Jackson

Taylor Doyle

Sedrick Flowers

Marcus Hutchins

Dalton Santos

Alex De La Torre

Johnathan Gray

Sheroid Evans

Nick Rose

Duke Thomas

Peter Jinkens

Marcus Johnson

Daje Johnson

Shiro Davis

JRs

Dylan Haines

Jacorey Warrick

Bryson Echols

Tyrone Swoopes

Kevin Vaccaro

Adrian Colbert

Nick Jordan

Timothy Cole

Caleb Bluiett

Brandon Hodges

Kent Perkins

Bryce Cotrell

Quincy Vasser

Paul Boyette 

Alex Norman 

Hassan Ridgeway

The other bad news is that Santos and Evans are taking medical RSs in order to return next season (unless I'm mistaken). That's 2 scholarships. Santos won't crack the top 2; and Evans, after missing 2 complete seasons, will have zero game experience in the Charlie Bedford defense. He may be talented, but he'll have 1 year left with no senior leadership advantage.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh, that's just the way it is.

This isn't the NFL - Strong can't turn over 75% of the roster in one season.  College coaches to a certain degree are at the mercy of the recruiting/development talents of the coach who just got fired.

Mack had some terrible recruiting years before he left - despite what the Rivals and 247's of the world will tell you.  Look at the Junior and Seniors on this team - the lack of talent is embarrassing.  Look at how many Freshman and RS Freshman played last week.

Ultimately Strongs success or failures will be his own - but thats only after he's had a chance to bring in his own players and develop his own program.  At this point Strong has had exactly one recruiting class.

I totally understand what you are saying. I just think that when you are making $5 million a year that successes and failures are yours from day one. Not 2 or 3 years down the road. 

The other bad news is that Santos and Evans are taking medical RSs in order to return next season (unless I'm mistaken). That's 2 scholarships. Santos won't crack the top 2; and Evans, after missing 2 complete seasons, will have zero game experience in the Charlie Bedford defense. He may be talented, but he'll have 1 year left with no senior leadership advantage.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh, that's just the way it is.

We will see what happens. I don't think both will come back.

I totally understand what you are saying. I just think that when you are making $5 million a year that successes and failures are yours from day one. Not 2 or 3 years down the road. 

The $5 million salary comes with a tremendous amount of pressure to succeed.  Strong is expected to make decisions that are best for the team, such as the Watson decision.  I agree that he is responsible for the team from day 1 but it is hard to blame him for the talent deficiencies from the previous regime.  When you have to start true freshman as offensive lineman in your first game, don't expect a lot of success.  The ideal situation would be for all freshman linemen to red shirt.  However, that is not possible because the previous staff did a poor job in recruiting and evaluating lineman.  

I'm willing to give Strong the time to recruit and develop his players.  I have no doubt that he can do that and I would think that we would see tremendous improvement each year. My concern is him making decisions in his staff that can maximize the talent on the field.  I am not 100% sold on the Norvell decision but I am more at ease after reading that Traylor is now assisting in the offensive schemes.

I know what you mean by this.  However, even Vince Lombardi wouldn't be able to make this mule a race horse.

I also think those in power knew this.

Just saying that getting immediate positive results can be done. 

SMU had 302 more yards (369 to 67) this year against Baylor than they did last year and 15 more first downs (22 to 7). And scored 21 more points (21 to 0). Don't bother telling me Chad Morris has more to work with than Charlie does because I won't believe you. 

I don't think anyone disputes the lack of talent issue.  I likewise surmise that most people point to the same person as the cause of that.

However, what you cannot do when coming into a situation like this is screw up your first assistant hires.  Because that compounds the problems instead of solving them.  Yet, this is what happened.  Especially on offense where the parts were mismatched from Day One.

Watson wanted to run a pro-style, WCO.

Wickline wanted to run zone. Period.

Les Koenning had last ran Dan Mullen's spread.

The decision was also made to keep Bruce Chambers (who liked to do whatever it was he did).

And then there was Strong himself who had his own influence on the offense (conservative playcalling, rely on his defense -- this drove UL fans nuts when they had Teddy B. and some pass-catching talent).

Did any two of these coaches share the same offensive philosophy?  Our offense was a crazy quilt of coaching beliefs.

Less than a year later, we decided to switch offenses but determined that Watson was still the right coach to do that?

Choices made have consequences.  How long will the effects of these coaching choices last?

I don't think anyone disputes the lack of talent issue.  I likewise surmise that most people point to the same person as the cause of that.

However, what you cannot do when coming into a situation like this is screw up your first asssistant hirings.  Because that compounds the problems instead of solving them.  Yet, this is what happened.  Especially on offense where the parts were mismatched from day one.

The decision was also made to keep Bruce Chambers (who liked to do whatever it was he did).

And then there was Strong himself who had his own influence on the offense (conservative playcalling, rely on his defense -- this drove UL fans nuts when they had Teddy B. and some pass-catching talent).

Did any two of these coaches share the same offensive philosophy?  Our offense was a crazy quilt of coaching beliefs.

Less than a year later, we decided to switch offenses but determined that Watson was still the right coach to do that?

Choices made have consequences.  How long will the effects of these coaching choices last?

Juan Grande gets it. Bottom line, Charlie has royally screwed the pooch when it comes to his offensive staff and that has nothing to do with the talent level on the field. 

And I while I don't even quibble with the lack of talent, here is a quote I saw on another site that sums it up nicely as far as I am concerned. 

"We all realized that there would be some losses along the way but these kids aren't even competing. It is the job of the coach to take all of the talent no matter if he recruited them or not and to at least field a competitive team. We are clearly not doing that."

However, what you cannot do when coming into a situation like this is screw up your first assistant hires.  Because that compounds the problems instead of solving them.  Yet, this is what happened.  Especially on offense where the parts were mismatched from Day One.

Nailed it, Juan.

I was excited when we brought in Wickline because I assumed he'd bring the high-octane OSU offense with him. Mix in a few Miss State "pistol" formation plays from Koenning and we'd have good balance. I also assumed Watson was knowledgeable and flexible enough to game plan and coach a wide variety of offensive principles.

But, you know what happens when you ASSume...

The latest is that Swoopes is still starting

But these reports are often (ahem) wrong, so we will see.

IMO, starting Heard would jazz the crowd from the kickoff, which can't hurt.

Agreed - our fans and alumni need something to provide a spark and give us hope.

Heard does that. Trotting Swoopes to start out again will be a downer for everyone.

The latest is that Swoopes is still starting

But these reports are often (ahem) wrong, so we will see.

IMO, starting Heard would jazz the crowd from the kickoff, which can't hurt.

A poster on OB says a friend of his that is related to someone on the team texted him that Heard was starting.

Most of what I've seen and read says Swoopes is still starting so who knows.