Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack Brown says it's not his fault

betogonzalez

Mack`s ego took credit for 1998 roster left by Mackovic that same ego stood by for years as the talent drain in Austin produced the only NFL draft without a Texas player drafted of course Mack will not take blame for lack of talent he left and what`s worse the national media that loves how Mack remembers their name refuses to blame anyone but Strong for the current lack of talent. Mack was left Ricky Williams,Hodges Mitchell,Major Applewhite,Kwame Cavil,Wane McGarity,enough oline talent that Leonard Davis was backup,Casey Hampton,Shaun Rogers,Cedric Woodard,Aaron Humphrey,Quinton Jammer,and Kris Stockton.so 4 1st round picks and 4 all-pros. so maybe coach clap a lot can keep patting his own back because he never accepted blame during his time in Austin so why start now.

Mack`s ego took credit for 1998 roster left by Mackovic that same ego stood by for years as the talent drain in Austin produced the only NFL draft without a Texas player drafted of course Mack will not take blame for lack of talent he left and what`s worse the national media that loves how Mack remembers their name refuses to blame anyone but Strong for the current lack of talent. Mack was left Ricky Williams,Hodges Mitchell,Major Applewhite,Kwame Cavil,Wane McGarity,enough oline talent that Leonard Davis was backup,Casey Hampton,Shaun Rogers,Cedric Woodard,Aaron Humphrey,Quinton Jammer,and Kris Stockton.so 4 1st round picks and 4 all-pros. so maybe coach clap a lot can keep patting his own back because he never accepted blame during his time in Austin so why start now.

citizen-brown-clap_medium.gif

I don't usually talk like this on the board but MB is full of himself and that means he is full of BS. Sounds like he has his head stuck in a hole in the ground. I wish he would have told us what he did right the last 4 years while the program was going to hell in a hand bag and missed out on some top QB. My friends y'all have a blessed week

Good ole Mack.

Recruit: Mack Brown told Texas commitments to 'look around'

Despite resigning as Texas' football coach in December, Mack Brown hasn't really gone anywhere. He's reportedly stayed on the university payroll as a special advisor to president Bill Powers. Last week the city of Austin declared Jan. 30 "Mack and Sally Brown Day," an event covered by Texas's own official football site.

Those facts make the conversation between four-star safety recruit John Bonney -- a long-time Texas commitment -- and Houston ABC station KTRK all the more potentially awkward. In this video, Bonney says that Brown told recruits visiting during the same weekend Brown resigned they should "look around" before signing with the Longhorns:

The complete quote from Bonney:

I was at my official visit when Mack Brown resigned and he told us to go look around. [He said] he'll even talk to other coaches for you and everything because he really just wanted the best for us as players.

Bonney would go on to visit both Auburn and Baylor this month, though he says he's still firmly committed to the Longhorns and new coach Charlie Strong.

A few things to keep in mind: first, Brown's the sort of coach who really might simply want the best for the Longhorns' recruiting targets, and without knowing who his replacement might be, maybe he genuinely believed double-checking into other options would best serve them amid the uncertainty. Second, most coaches (though not all) are OK with commitments visiting other schools, since restricting them from doing so can lead to friction and uncertainty. And lastly, though Bonney doesn't seem to have any motivation here to exaggerate or distort what Brown said during his visit, until or unless Brown comments it's also possible that there was some sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding.

All that said: Given all he had put into the Longhorns program, how richly that program had rewarded him for it, and how closely he remains tied to it and the university it represents, it really doesn't seem like too much to ask -- at all -- for Brown to support that program unconditionally. And that unconditional support probably extends to telling recruits that Texas -- the school, the team, everything --will be the right place for them regardless of who happens to fill his head coaching shoes, right?

Texas hasn't had the best of months, recruiting-wise, since Strong and his staff took over. If Brown did indeed tell Bonney and other Longhorns to "look around," well, that's only one minor factor in a long list of reasons Texas might not be thriving on the trail. But should something Mack Brown did ever be an impediment to Texas's recruiting efforts rather than a boost?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24428379/recruit-mack-brown-told-texas-commitments-to-look-around

Here's another bad look from another former head coach --

Speaking at the Little Rock Touchdown Club on Tuesday, Weis chalked up his unsuccessful tenure as Notre Dame head coach to hiring “too many people that wanted to use the school as a stepping stone for a head coaching job.â€

Weis went 35-27 with one bowl win in five seasons in South Bend. But yeah, it was all those dang assistants’ fault for being ladder-climbers.

http://lostlettermen.com/charlie-weis-blames-notre-dame-failure-on-assistants-who-used-jobs-as-stepping-stone/

IMO, much of the roster's lack of depth and talent can certainly be blamed on Mack. He really shouldn't even comment on this, but I'm sure his quote was blown up by the scandal-driven media. Why would he take the blame?

The roster doesn't absolve CFS and staff for the poorly defined and executed game plans against TCU, Arky, and ND. I don't see an identity on offense. Do y'all?

Charlie Strong blaming himself, not Mack Brown, for struggles at Texas

Would you look at that, panic has set in at Texas after all of one game.

Changes to the coaching staff, changes in the starting lineup. And the same stinking drama of years gone by.

Yep, it’s all Mack’s fault.

You want to blame someone, Texas fans? Blame Charlie Strong. Because that’s exactly who he’s blaming.

While Orangebloods are seething this week over former coach Mack Brown’s comments about the state of the program — and according to the narrative, not taking responsibility for Strong’s 6-8 record — let me explain what Strong told me this spring:

“You’re never going to hear me say the guy before me didn’t leave us anything,†Strong said. “We’ve got players here. It’s up to put them in position to win.â€

That’s why Strong eliminated the title of play caller from offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, and gave the job to Jay Norvell. It has nothing to do with players or what the roster looked like when Strong arrived in 2014 or what he thinks of Brown.

It’s what he thinks of Watson, one of his closest friends in the business. When you’re at the point where you’re demoting one of your own, it’s about your business — not what happened years ago.

When you’re at the point where you’re talking about starting over this week in practice, analyzing every part of the process of coaching and who can play for you and who can’t, it’s about you — not what happened years ago.

MORE: Week 2 picks from our panel

The biggest problem at Texas isn’t Brown telling the San Antonio News-Express that he doesn’t feel responsible for Texas’ struggles, it’s that this current Longhorns coaching staff had 10 months in the offseason to find a way to play better on offense after last year’s atrocious effort.

And then played worse in Week 1 against Notre Dame.

That’s why Strong, while discussing the state of the team after one week, flatly said, “we can’t go through another season with a bad offense — no, that cannot happen.â€

Texas is bad on offense because Watson and the offensive staff thought they had a plan to change the fortunes of the unit, and nothing worked against a Notre Dame defense that, the last time we saw them, gave up 28 points and 436 yards to an LSU team that — if you can believe this — throws the ball worse than Texas.

The plan was to use more tempo, get more plays and expand the offense to include more quarterback run game and more of talented tailback Jonathan Gray — all in an effort to put quarterbacks Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard in better position to make plays and win.

Gray had eight carries, Swoopes and Heard combined for 12 and Texas ran 52 plays. That, everyone, has nothing to do with Mack Brown.

MORE: The best players in Texas Longhorns history

So Strong sees what unfolds Week 1, and instead of blindly forging ahead, he makes a shocking change to let everyone associated with Texas football bathe in two undeniable things: he’s in control, and if it fails, blame him.

I ask you, Orangebloods, who doesn’t want a coach like that?

He’s not blaming Swoopes or Heard, and he’s certainly not blaming Brown. He’s blaming the guys he hired to run the offense, and because he hired them, he’s blaming himself.

“Things can always get fixed,†Strong said. “We have the players to get it fixed. If you didn’t have the players, then I’d say, yeah, you have issues. But we can get it fixed.â€

If they don’t, we’ll know whom to blame.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-09-10/charlie-strong-texas-longhorns-football-record-struggles-offensive-coordinator-play-call

Look, I'm all in on Charlie Strong but we've got to quit living in the past.

It is Charlies Strong's responsibility to get this team and this staff where it should be and if he doesn't, it is totally his fault and no one else's. Period! It's time to stop making excuses and blaming others. He is the coach now not Mack Brown. If he fails, it is his fault not Mack Brown's. It's time to move on. 

It is Charlies Strong's responsibility to get this team and this staff where it should be and if he doesn't, it is totally his fault and no one else's. Period! It's time to stop making excuses and blaming others. He is the coach now not Mack Brown. If he fails, it is his fault not Mack Brown's. It's time to move on. 

Amen.  I just hope our fan base will give Strong adequate time.  I do not expect miracles but solid improvement.  We need an offensive identity- something to build upon & to recruit from. 

This isn't the NFL - Strong can't turn over 75% of the roster in one season.  College coaches to a certain degree are at the mercy of the recruiting/development talents of the coach who just got fired.

Mack had some terrible recruiting years before he left - despite what the Rivals and 247's of the world will tell you.  Look at the Junior and Seniors on this team - the lack of talent is embarrassing.  Look at how many Freshman and RS Freshman played last week.

Ultimately Strongs success or failures will be his own - but thats only after he's had a chance to bring in his own players and develop his own program.  At this point Strong has had exactly one recruiting class.