Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's Norvell

Sirhornsalot

I said this on another site.

What if, in fact, Watson is the best OC on the staff?

I'm telling you, folks, Norvell scares me to death.

He and Heupel put together the game plan when Trevor Knight kicked Bama's butt in the Sugar Bowl (2013 season).

Honestly, our offense is already last in the NCAA.  The floor has been set.  As a factual matter, it cannot get worse.

I said this on another site.

What if, in fact, Watson is the best OC on the staff?

I'm telling you, folks, Norvell scares me to death.

I'll play.

What if, in fact, Strong said no Watson is my friend and I will not make a change?

That's called insanity. Does that not scare you to death?

What if, in fact, Strong moved Traylor to OC instead? Fresh off a high school career?

That's called a high risk (my preferred option, but Charlie is better than I at this). Does that not scare you to death?

There's no way safer way out of this mess than what Charlie has chosen to do. I personally like Traylor better, but Norvell has more skins on the wall at higher caliber competition.

Nothing scared me more than the idea of not making a change with Watson. I'm also scared we'll see Swoopes under center in the first quarter.

I'll play.

What if, in fact, Strong said no Watson is my friend and I will not make a change?

Here's a bigger picture 'doomsday' scenario.

At some point (probably already happened), Patterson starts to game theory that that if Strong goes down, he takes Steve with him, for a clean sweep.

So Patterson gives Strong the Watson treatment just to keep his own job.

I have no idea how many years this might set us back.  It's impossible to know since it would dependent upon the next coach (Herman/Morris?)

I'll play.

What if, in fact, Strong moved Traylor to OC instead? Fresh off a high school career?

That's called a high risk (my preferred option, but Charlie is better than I at this). Does that not scare you to death?

There's no way safer way out of this mess than what Charlie has chosen to do. I personally like Traylor better, but Norvell has more skins on the wall at higher caliber competition.

Nothing scared me more than the idea of not making a change with Watson. I'm also scared we'll see Swoopes under center in the first quarter.

FWIW - a couple of the pay sites have reported that the offensive game-planning has basically shifted from a Watson/Wickline collaboration designed around Swoopes, to a Norvell/Traylor designed game plan focusing on Jerrod Heard.  Although Norvell will be the final play caller its being reported that Traylos is going to be much more involved in the game planning leading up to the game and on game day.  Traylor and Norvell have apparently developed a very good working relationship.

I think it was a smart move naming Norvell the play-caller, but having Traylor be very involved in the development of the offense around Heard.

FWIW - a couple of the pay sites have reported that the offensive game-planning has basically shifted from a Watson/Wickline collaboration designed around Swoopes, to a Norvell/Traylor designed game plan focusing on Jerrod Heard.  Although Norvell will be the final play caller its being reported that Traylos is going to be much more involved in the game planning leading up to the game and on game day.  Traylor and Norvell have apparently developed a very good working relationship.

I think it was a smart move naming Norvell the play-caller, but having Traylor be very involved in the development of the offense around Heard.

This makes sense, and I hope its true (and not just more stuff thrown against the wall).

Going by that Jason Chilton/BC piece from yesterday showing a "shopping list" of schemes, the Power Spread looking like the best choice (none were ideal) which is right up Traylor's alley.

Given that, it would be dumb for Norvell not to seek his input.

From Strong's viewpoint, it also makes sense from the perspective of letting him see how Traylor performs at this level, with bigger/faster athletes.  All this with an eye toward 2016 as I doubt he sees Norvell as the long-term solution.  But I suppose the jury is still out on all that.

It also raises the next issue which goes beyond our immediate needs -- which is what offensive scheme is best looking forward to 2016(and beyond) based on who we have coming in -- Buechelle/Ehlinger + several topshelf WRs.

Lastly, dont forget BC's accuracy rate with these type of articles is not that high.

Here they tell us why "Tyrone Swoopes will be one of the nation's elite" http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/8/19/9175477/why-tyrone-swoopes-will-be-one-of-the-nations-elite

And here they tell us "Shawn Watson is Just Misunderstood"  http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/8/11/5979165/the-misunderstood-shawn-watson-part-i-an-excerpt-from-the-2014

Here is a 247 piece on Norvell as playcaller

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-play-caller-Jay-Norvell-is-largely-unknown-39293035

" ...... Based on what Norvell told the Los Angeles Times when he was hired at UCLA in 2007, he doesn't have near the experience calling plays to give Longhorn fans the level of comfort that might have been there with the Robinson move.

Norvell had play-calling duties at Iowa State (1995-1997) when he was in charge of the passing game. He most recently called plays for Karl Dorrell at UCLA, but that season ultimately led to Dorrell's firing. The Bruins were not a good offensive football team in Norvell's one season there, finishing the season ranked 99th nationally in total offense, 101st in passing offense, 92nd in scoring offense and 57th in rushing offense.

Dorrell hired Norvell due in part to Norvell's background with the West Coast offense, which is where Watson's roots reside. Norvell has spent a lot of time with Bill Callahan, who Watson worked for in 2006 and 2007, and was the offensive coordinator at Nebraska in name only from 2004-2006.

Norvell told the Times he spent game day at Nebraska in the press box, but Callahan called the plays. The same was true when Watson took over as Callahan's offensive coordinator after Norvell bolted for the Bruins following a good 2006 season when the Huskers ranked in the top-25 nationally in total offense, scoring offense and both rushing and passing offense.

When Strong hired Norvell as receivers coach I detailed what the hiring meant. Norvell seemed to check a lot of the boxes necessary to help Texas advance the offense forward and in the spring it seemed as though he'd helped do just that.

But for whatever reason, there was no apparent change in the offense from last season to what was seen on the field in South Bend last weekend.

Now he's in charge of making sure things flow on game day in a manner that's not disgusting to watch, as has been the case in Texas' last three games. Perhaps more importantly than what plays he calls, Norvell and Strong have to determine, sooner rather than later, if Jerrod Heard is the answer at quarterback.

Strong has already changed his play-caller and typically a decision to make a move behind center isn't far behind. The next 11 games are, in all likelihood, a chance for Norvell to audition for the job in 2016. But it's also a time where the Longhorns can take a look at what they have in Heard and potentially Kai Locksley.

Tyrone Swoopes, based on his on-field performance against Notre Dame, doesn't appear to be the answer offensively much in the same way Watson wasn't.

Is Norvell the answer? Much like with Heard, nobody can truly say for sure.

But unlike Heard, who needs to be able to produce whenever he gets his chance, the expectations for Norvell are low. That's nothing against him, but all Strong is asking is that the offense not go backwards from where it was in 2014.

The Longhorns should've been better than what the product showed against Notre Dame. Now Norvell is responsible for doing offensively what Strong wants to see, which at this point isn't asking much at all.

“Just a total improvement,†Strong said. “You want to see productivity.† ........"

-- MORE AT THE LINK ^^^ --

Lastly, dont forget BC's accuracy rate with these type of articles is not that high.

Here they tell us why "Tyrone Swoopes will be one of the nation's elitehttp://www.barkingca...e-nations-elite

And here they tell us "Shawn Watson is Just Misunderstood"  http://www.barkingca...t-from-the-2014

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

bobby from 247 stated that he has already heard rumors that Norvall has been reaching out to Traylor to help come up with the game plan. Another poster on their site mentioned that a major reason Mcguire didnt accept the job last spring was due to the rumor that Watson would not take the advise whatsoever from his assistants. 

I really hope Norvall has learned from Watsons pitfalls and is reaching out to Traylor.

bobby from 247 stated that he has already heard rumors that Norvall has been reaching out to Traylor to help come up with the game plan. Another poster on their site mentioned that a major reason Mcguire didnt accept the job last spring was due to the rumor that Watson would not take the advise whatsoever from his assistants. 

I really hope Norvall has learned from Watsons pitfalls and is reaching out to Traylor.

I read that and I'm amazed that CS brought in Norvell and Traylor and Watson had no interest in their feedback. Instead he's interested in what the GA's have to say. A good CEO, HC or in this case OC will listen to others because if they have good ideas it's going to make you look like a good OC.

Sounds like Watson after a career of mediocre results got a big head on his success with Teddy Bridgewater. He didn't need to listen to others and didn't need to change his offense to fit the talent he had. Instead he was going to show everybody and turn Swoopes in the next Bridgewater.

I'm not thrilled that Watson will still be coaching the QB's for the rest of the season. Especially, if he's butt hurt about losing his play calling duties.

I read that and I'm amazed that CS brought in Norvell and Traylor and Watson had no interest in their feedback. Instead he's interested in what the GA's have to say. A good CEO, HC or in this case OC will listen to others because if they have good ideas it's going to make you look like a good OC.

Sounds like Watson after a career of mediocre results got a big head on his success with Teddy Bridgewater. He didn't need to listen to others and didn't need to change his offense to fit the talent he had. Instead he was going to show everybody and turn Swoopes in the next Bridgewater.

I'm not thrilled that Watson will still be coaching the QB's for the rest of the season. Especially, if he's butt hurt about losing his play calling duties.

That is a whole hell of a lot of speculation based off of one third hand account of a story from a random poster.

Shawn Watson might be an epic failure as an OC - but he's pretty widely respected as a QB coach.  This is at least partially evidenced by the realtionships he has with Mike Locksley and Kevin Murray and the fact that those two respected coaches seemed pretty comfortable with sending their sons to be coached by Watson (obviously Murray didn't end up here).

Yes, he failed and couldn't get the job done here at Texas, but theres no reason to impugn the guy's character or his professionalism.

That is a whole hell of a lot of speculation based off of one third hand account of a story from a random poster.

Shawn Watson might be an epic failure as an OC - but he's pretty widely respected as a QB coach.  This is at least partially evidenced by the realtionships he has with Mike Locksley and Kevin Murray and the fact that those two respected coaches seemed pretty comfortable with sending their sons to be coached by Watson (obviously Murray didn't end up here).

Yes, he failed and couldn't get the job done here at Texas, but theres no reason to impugn the guy's character or his professionalism.

There is more than one random poster reporting that Watson didn't listen to others. Both Bobby Burton and Jeff Howe are reporting that Watson didn't listen to the other assistants.

I wasn't criticizing Watson as QB coach, I was concerned that having an offense co-ordinator who is demoted could cause problems for the rest of the season. The same with Wickline. I understand that their both professionals, but it may make Norvell's job for difficult. The first time CS fired his OC and promoted Watson, Sanford left the team.

I didn't question his character, I do believe he will do the best he can for the rest of the year. His not listening to his assistants was more a question of his judgement not his professionalism.

Another no nothing national writer. This one from Alabama. CS making the change was the best move he could make at this point. Watson wasn't going to turn around the offense.

Strong did something this week that seems out of character after that ugly opening loss at Notre Dame. He panicked. He demoted his co-offensive coordinators and promoted his wide receivers coach to play-caller.

Tell those Texas boosters to back Charlie Strong (and forget Nick Saban)

Said it before, and I'll say it again right at the top so there's no misunderstanding. I think Nick Saban's going to finish his coaching career at Alabama.

The only variable is time.

He may coach one more year or five more years or until he's 80, but he's put down roots in this state like he has nowhere else since his formative years in West Virginia.

Every one of Saban's major head coaching moves made perfect sense, and at this stage of his life and career, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to pull up those roots and start over elsewhere.

That said, if you're an Alabama fan, you probably should pull for Charlie Strong to straighten out that mess at Texas. Just to be safe.

Strong did something this week that seems out of character after that ugly opening loss at Notre Dame. He panicked. He demoted his co-offensive coordinators and promoted his wide receivers coach to play-caller.

Haven't seen a head coach overreact this way this early in the season since Tony Franklin walked out of the Auburn football building with his office belongings in a box after Tommy Tuberville sent him packing.

Tuberville's quick trigger didn't solve the problems that bubbled to the surface before, during and after Auburn's 14-13 loss at Vanderbilt on Oct. 4, 2008. Less than two months later, Tuberville's own tenure at Auburn was over.

Strong didn't go so far as to fire anyone, but demoting coaches and changing play-callers one game into his second season at Texas doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he's going to fix what's broken in Austin.

What does trouble at Texas have to do with Saban? Probably nothing, but it wasn't that long ago that some of the Big Cigars that throw lots of money at the UT program made it clear they wanted to give Saban the keys to their burnt orange kingdom.

How persistent were they? Remember what Saban said during a July speech in Pensacola? He said his agent, Jimmy Sexton, "called me about 15 times about Texas" just two years ago.

Sexton kept calling Saban because Texas boosters kept calling Sexton.

"Every time he called, I said I'm not interested in talking to them, and I never will be," Saban said. "That's the story."

It should be the end of the story as far as Saban's concerned. It's hard to imagine Texas would fire Strong after only two seasons, no matter how many games the Longhorns lose this year. It's also hard to see Saban having any real interest in that job, especially since he rebuffed those Texas advances after the 2013 season, a low point for him after the Kick 6.

Oh, there may be a Texas booster or two who still looks longingly toward Tuscaloosa, where Alabama is one poll spot away from getting to No. 1 for the eighth straight season. No one would be surprised if one of those oil magnates or cattle barons dialed up Sexton again.

Those guys don't easily take no for an answer, but if they get to a place where they feel the need for a change, they should look elsewhere. Better yet, they should throw all their support behind Strong.

Sounds like he needs all the help he can get.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/09/tell_those_texas_boosters_to_b.html

I enjoyed the hell out of reading your post. That's some exciting stuff right there. Getting Traylor involved in the scheming and game planning is a brilliant move.

post-25179-you-can-do-it-gif-serious-rob