Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's Norvell

Sirhornsalot

I imagine there are quite a few high school coaches out there with career winning percentage that match and exceed Traylor's - I don't think each and everyone of them is a football genius.  I think he was a tremendous hire and an excellent weapon for recruiting - but theres no way I name him OC after only 7 months of college experience.

Everyone wants to point to Gus Malzahn or Chad Morris - but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I definitely consider Traylor for the position in 2016 if Norvell proves to be only an interim replacement - but he's going to need to spend the rest of this season proving that the college game isn't too big for him.  Having a special teams unit run out 10 guys on three separate occasions against ND isn't helping his case.

Of course you wouldn't name him the OC now, but after this season is finished with ? I think he would be in consideration. 

Football is football. 

Spoke to my friend tonight, on the phone this time. He said things are rather unstable right now on the staff, particularly between two of the coaches. Those being Wick and Watson. Who knows whats going through the minds of those two right now.

He says he doesn't think one of the two would be back next year, and even said it's possible both are gone.

He said that while he thinks Heard will get a fair shake with Norvell, Swoopes still got the most snaps today between the two with the first team.

Said whole team feels sense of urgency. Coaches are working hard, too, but the air is thick between two of them. Players respect Norvell and are ok with the change.

Thats all I got.

Ok, that is a change to help our offensive woes..Now lets get the defense fixed with a new DC; because our defense is as bad as our offense.

I'll respectfully disagree.  They certainly had lapses, and the veterans made freshman mistakes, but the Defense isn't in nearly as bad a state as the offense is.

That said - the first thing they should do is put Haines on the bench.  I don't think I've ever seen safety play that bad - and I'm a life long Bears fan who has seen every terrible game they've played the last 30 years.

Yes. Norvell was fired along with Josh Huepel. However, he was indeed a scapegoat. The performance that spurred the changes were not on offense necessarily, but defense. Stoops was feeling some heat so this quieted the masses.

Charlie pounced on Norvell and now he's here. I have no problem with Norvell calling plays. He is a productive offensive mind who has turned straw into gold, so to speak, with his WRs at OU.

I would have picked Traylor, but I understand this choice.

Agreed. Stoops was definitely feeling the heat.  His 2 main problems were Huepel and his own idiot brother calling a poor defense, so Bob fired the offensive guys and kept his ding dong brother.

I'll respectfully disagree.  They certainly had lapses, and the veterans made freshman mistakes, but the Defense isn't in nearly as bad a state as the offense is.

That said - the first thing they should do is put Haines on the bench.  I don't think I've ever seen safety play that bad - and I'm a life long Bears fan who has seen every terrible game they've played the last 30 years.

If I were in charge of personnel on Defense, I'd seriously consider:

1. Bench Haines, move Bonney to S
  2. Play Boyd somewhere - CB or Nickel, wherever he's a better fit. He brings plenty of juice and attitude
  3. Play Hager at MLB, move MJ outside to rush the passer more. Freeman is our 3rd LB

When is DeShon Elliott expected back?

Spoke to my friend tonight, on the phone this time. He said things are rather unstable right now on the staff, particularly between two of the coaches. Those being Wick and Watson. Who knows whats going through the minds of those two right now.

He says he doesn't think one of the two would be back next year, and even said it's possible both are gone.

He said that while he thinks Heard will get a fair shake with Norvell, Swoopes still got the most snaps today between the two with the first team.

Said whole team feels sense of urgency. Coaches are working hard, too, but the air is thick between two of them. Players respect Norvell and are ok with the change.

Thats all I got.

Does that mean that Wick and Watson are just pissed about the change or that they are at odds with each other??

I see no way Watson is back next year. He's a $500,000.00 a year QB coach now. That's not gonna last.

Of course you wouldn't name him the OC now, but after this season is finished with ? I think he would be in consideration. 

Football is football. 

Malzahn wasn't really the OC in his one season at Arkansas, only in name. Nutt still controlled the offense. Malzahn really did not become an OC until he went to Tulsa.

Same with Morris. He got his feet wet at Tulsa then moved on to Clemson.

You cannot make that jump from prep to big-time college coordinator and be successful. It takes time to learn the speed of the game. Todd Dodge was as successful a high school coach as you could be, at a big-time 5A program, and was a college QB and he was overmatched at North Texas.

Spoke to my friend tonight, on the phone this time. He said things are rather unstable right now on the staff, particularly between two of the coaches. Those being Wick and Watson. Who knows whats going through the minds of those two right now......

If Wickline stays, then the next OC must have a scheme that meshes with his preferred technique.

Not sure Norvell is that guy.

But Strong will have rest of season to find out.

Malzahn wasn't really the OC in his one season at Arkansas, only in name. Nutt still controlled the offense. Malzahn really did not become an OC until he went to Tulsa.

Same with Morris. He got his feet wet at Tulsa then moved on to Clemson.

You cannot make that jump from prep to big-time college coordinator and be successful. It takes time to learn the speed of the game. Todd Dodge was as successful a high school coach as you could be, at a big-time 5A program, and was a college QB and he was overmatched at North Texas

I disagree with you.... I think football is football.  Schemes are schemes. Good coaches are good coaches. 

We might have another Chad Morris in Jeff Traylor who was Tulsa's OC straight out of high school by the way. 

Does that mean that Wick and Watson are just pissed about the change or that they are at odds with each other??

I see no way Watson is back next year. He's a $500,000.00 a year QB coach now. That's not gonna last.

I think they understand the change. I would imagine Wick has some resentment for Watson as Wick's probably feeling like he's been asked to do what he's not good at doing (pro O) and now it's bitten him in the butt. So I imagine there's some blame being cast back and forth in their minds. That's just me speculating though.

Wick's also pretty frustrated with the lawsuit thing, I'd imagine.

Agree, can't see Watson returning.

Shawn Watson's Out, Jay Norvell's In - Now what for the Texas Longhorns?

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/9/9/9284073/watsons-out-norvells-in-now-what#comments

A reset at offensive coordinator offers a good chance to re-examine the key components of the OC's role with an eye towards what Texas can be right now and should be going forward.