Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's Norvell

Sirhornsalot

It's been confirmed all over twitter over the past few minutes. It's definitely Norvell. Huge change, I love it. It'll be interesting to see what kind of offense we roll out next year.

EDIT: Next week, not year. Especially if the rumors of Watson rolling out a different offense than what is practiced is true.

Wait a second wasn't Norvel fired as the OC by Stoops. Don't get me wrong I want a change as much as anyone. But maybe Traylor or an outside source would be better. For that matter is Watson still OC?

Yes. Norvell was fired along with Josh Huepel. However, he was indeed a scapegoat. The performance that spurred the changes were not on offense necessarily, but defense. Stoops was feeling some heat so this quieted the masses.

Charlie pounced on Norvell and now he's here. I have no problem with Norvell calling plays. He is a productive offensive mind who has turned straw into gold, so to speak, with his WRs at OU.

I would have picked Traylor, but I understand this choice.

Yes. Norvell was fired along with Josh Huepel. However, he was indeed a scapegoat. The performance that spurred the changes were not on offense necessarily, but defense. Stoops was feeling some heat so this quieted the masses.

Charlie pounced on Norvell and now he's here. I have no problem with Norvell calling plays. He is a productive offensive mind who has turned straw into gold, so to speak, with his WRs at OU.

A lot of Sooner fans believe the offensive coaches were scape goat, so he could keep his brother Mike. The other reason he was fired was Trevor Knight and Blake Bell which shows you have to have a QB.

Stoops fired an offensive staff that averaged over 30 points per game to keep his brother. imagine my fellow Longhorns it is legal to score and do it in bunches. i still remember the louisville wr who claimed Watson was not trying to score something he found a great deal of success in doing as oc at Texas. maybe my liver will heal sometime soon

Me too.  I realize there is an issue of tenure within the collegiate ranks.  However, Traylor ran Chad Morris' offense at Gilmer. His record and success speaks for itself. The link below is an article from ETSN.FM that highlights his career at Gilmer.

http://etsn.fm/is-jeff-traylor-the-best-east-texas-high-school-football-coach-ever/

Stoops fired an offensive staff that averaged over 30 points per game to keep his brother. imagine my fellow Longhorns it is legal to score and do it in bunches. i still remember the louisville wr who claimed Watson was not trying to score something he found a great deal of success in doing as oc at Texas. maybe my liver will heal sometime soon

Shit, If our offense can average 31 points a game that would be gravy.  Charlie Strong is 24-1 as a HC when his teams score 31 points or more. 

Me too.  I realize there is an issue of tenure within the collegiate ranks.  However, Traylor ran Chad Morris' offense at Gilmer. His record and success speaks for itself. The link below is an article from ETSN.FM that highlights his career at Gilmer.

http://etsn.fm/is-jeff-traylor-the-best-east-texas-high-school-football-coach-ever/

What else is there to say about Traylor ? The man is a football genius whose teams won 85 percent of their games. Texas should run a college version of his offense. 

What else is there to say about Traylor ? The man is a football genius whose teams won 85 percent of their games. Texas should run a college version of his offense. 

I imagine there are quite a few high school coaches out there with career winning percentage that match and exceed Traylor's - I don't think each and everyone of them is a football genius.  I think he was a tremendous hire and an excellent weapon for recruiting - but theres no way I name him OC after only 7 months of college experience.

Everyone wants to point to Gus Malzahn or Chad Morris - but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I definitely consider Traylor for the position in 2016 if Norvell proves to be only an interim replacement - but he's going to need to spend the rest of this season proving that the college game isn't too big for him.  Having a special teams unit run out 10 guys on three separate occasions against ND isn't helping his case.

I imagine there are quite a few high school coaches out there with career winning percentage that match and exceed Traylor's - I don't think each and everyone of them is a football genius.  I think he was a tremendous hire and an excellent weapon for recruiting - but theres no way I name him OC after only 7 months of college experience.

Everyone wants to point to Gus Malzahn or Chad Morris - but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I definitely consider Traylor for the position in 2016 if Norvell proves to be only an interim replacement - but he's going to need to spend the rest of this season proving that the college game isn't too big for him.  Having a special teams unit run out 10 guys on three separate occasions against ND isn't helping his case.

If Norvell is an interim replacement then CS is going to have to hire a big name as OC. Like the aggies did with Chavis. If CS has to hire another OC after the season then this will be for his job at UT.

The only way Norvell remains the OC in 2016 is if Texas makes a miraculous turn around on offense and is in contention for the conference title going into the Baylor game.

I wouldn't use the miraculous because we do have talent on offense. My hope is Norvell can at least do a similar job as Greg Robinson did on defense a couple of years ago.

Jerrod Heard is the most important player on the team.  How he plays will be the most important player for the rest of the season. Although, I was impressed by true freshman QB Josh Rosen's play on Saturday. Maybe Locksley will be another option.

ou team stats while Norvell was there

From 2008-10, he was Ass OC/WR

From 2010-14, he was Co-OC/WR

'08 - 51.1 ppg, 547.9 ypg 

'09 - 31.1 ppg, 423.8 ypg

'10 - 37.2 ppg, 481.4 ypg 

'11 - 39.5 ppg, 512.3 ypg

'12 - 38.2 ppg, 497.8 ypg 

'13 - 32.9 ppg, 423.0 ypg 

'14 - 33.6 ppg, 467.7 ypg